Author Topic: Malty Laminated Beer Pizza  (Read 30322 times)

Offline Zing

Re: Malty Laminated Beer Pizza
« Reply #120 on: April 21, 2013, 10:12:23 PM »
I was in Whole Foods' bulk foods section today and saw they were selling Red Star Nutritional Yeast Large Flakes. I bought a scoopful for 98 cents. I mixed up a quick batch of dough (including All Trumps high gluten flour) to see if this was the source of THAT SMELL (tm). I mixed in a ridiculous amount of it. No, it did not give off an aroma while baking but it did act as a very effective dough relaxer. That is probably why the roll manufacturer I talked about 3 posts up uses deactivated yeast.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #121 on: April 22, 2013, 01:46:07 PM »
Is "the smell" there in these new Ye Ole' Parlour's being opened?

Are you referring to Me n' Eds?

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2013, 11:56:47 AM »
Are you referring to Me n' Eds?
"Shakeys" Ye olde Pizza Parlor.... "the smell" man!  ;D
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #123 on: April 24, 2013, 03:47:19 PM »
You know I was up in Spokane a few weeks ago and I had my choice between Round Table or Shakeys. Unfortunately I chose RT. I wrote about the experience in the RT thread. Definitely need to try the Shakeys up there next time, although I just know it isn't going to be the same as Shakey's from the 70's. I guess I just didn't want to disappoint myself.  ::)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #124 on: April 24, 2013, 04:05:48 PM »
You know I was up in Spokane a few weeks ago and I had my choice between Round Table or Shakeys. Unfortunately I chose RT. I wrote about the experience in the RT thread. Definitely need to try the Shakeys up there next time, although I just know it isn't going to be the same as Shakey's from the 70's. I guess I just didn't want to disappoint myself.  ::)
   ;D  I know what you mean Dan.
About once every year or so I just have to buy a small Pizza Hut thin an crispy pizza even though I know it's gonna be crapola.....it's like some 'lil stupid guy in me is saying, "Bob, ya never know man, maybe they brought back the good....".   Jeeez, why do I listen to that guy!  >:(

Bob

Offline Zing

« Reply #125 on: April 24, 2013, 11:29:47 PM »

I find it amazing that I have the same desire for Pizza Hut thin crust. Until I found this message board and a few others, I thought it was still like the old days where the pizza might be terrible or might be great. Now I know (because everything is made in factories) it will never be great again. I wonder how long it will be before I finally no longer have a desire for this pizza.

Offline nick57

• Supporting Member
« Reply #126 on: April 25, 2013, 08:52:58 PM »
I agree. I must be a masochist, I'll go back to PH hoping for the best, and I am always sorry I did. It's that wonderful feeling when you remember the good old days. I remember when the pies came on a cardboard disc and it had a paper tent that covered the pie. I loved tearing it open and smelling that wonderful aroma. Ah memories, at least the big pizza chains can't take that away.

Offline Zing

« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2013, 01:55:29 PM »
I came across a March, 2013 review of the Shakey's in Warner Robins, GA. The review is credited to Eaton Wright of the Macon Telegraph. I read other reviews by Eaton Wright, and believe the critic is older, as there are references to now-closed Shakey's in Georgia.

This quote from the review got my attention:
"..............diehards will tell you they barely notice their surroundings as soon as that unique smell of Shakey’s pizza greets them at the door."

The full review is here:
http://www.macon.com/2013/03/29/2414785/choose-shakeys-for-nostalgic-family.html

Now this critic is experienced, so would know if the smell is coming from, say, spilled beer on the floor of a carpeted restaurant. Note that the two words THAT and SMELL are in the review. Warner-Robins reportedly still uses a deck oven. But the samples I get come from a store with a conveyor oven. I think there is more to it than the oven used.

I keep posting hoping that someone can place THAT SMELL(tm)*

*THAT SMELL is a trademark of DNA Dan.

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2013, 12:58:40 AM »
Dang man all this talk about pizza had me dusting off the conveyor tonight.  :chef: Here's the latest MLBP from my kitchen.

Offline TomN

• Supporting Member
« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2013, 01:18:20 AM »
Looks like a tasty pie. Nice work.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2013, 11:24:57 AM »
Dang man all this talk about pizza had me dusting off the conveyor tonight.  :chef: Here's the latest MLBP from my kitchen.
Ha! Scrolling up from the bottom of the page and seeing the pie pics first I knew it would be DNA Dan posting in one of his beauties. Gorgeous pizza Dan!  :chef:

Would you please share formula for this one...I want to try it asap!  :drool:

Bob

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #131 on: May 12, 2013, 01:38:39 AM »
I have gotten away from the boiled down malt liquor and started using beer straight. Not quite the same but sure is a hell of a lot easier. Here you go..

481g All Trumps Flour (Unbromated)
232g Red Hook ESB
10g Salt
10g Lard
10g Sugar
6g Tones Garlic Romano Seasoning
3g IDY (Fleischmann's)

This is enough to make a 16" pie in the 0.125-0.2 thickness range. This one was a 48 hour cold ferment. The All Trumps isn't that hydrated at 48%, but I have found if you just dump it into a bag all crumbly and refrigerate a few hours it will become wetter. You can then press it into a ball. I actually made two doughs, one I let ferment at RT for 4 hours, then put it in the cooler. The other went into the cooler directly after mixing. The RT ferment was very flat with not a lot of bubbles going on. So the cracker crust rule still applies, undermix the dough and don't develop it too much. Even with the sheeter I have had the best results abiding by this rule.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #132 on: May 12, 2013, 11:15:40 AM »
I have gotten away from the boiled down malt liquor and started using beer straight. Not quite the same but sure is a hell of a lot easier. Here you go..

481g All Trumps Flour (Unbromated)
232g Red Hook ESB
10g Salt
10g Lard
10g Sugar
6g Tones Garlic Romano Seasoning
3g IDY (Fleischmann's)

This is enough to make a 16" pie in the 0.125-0.2 thickness range. This one was a 48 hour cold ferment. The All Trumps isn't that hydrated at 48%, but I have found if you just dump it into a bag all crumbly and refrigerate a few hours it will become wetter. You can then press it into a ball. I actually made two doughs, one I let ferment at RT for 4 hours, then put it in the cooler. The other went into the cooler directly after mixing. The RT ferment was very flat with not a lot of bubbles going on. So the cracker crust rule still applies, undermix the dough and don't develop it too much. Even with the sheeter I have had the best results abiding by this rule.
Great Dan, thanks. Sounds very interesting and I want to try this right away.  :chef:

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
« Reply #133 on: August 16, 2013, 02:01:17 AM »
Hello!  I've studied the RT threads with great interest.   DNA Dan, your pizzas ALWAYS make me hungry and also hit my nostalgia button hard.  I grew up in Ohio eating pizza that look uncannily like yours.  I always thought they were a "special invention" of the local pizza shop.  Since coming to the forum and learning about Round Table, I went back and did some research on the owner of the pizza shop.  It turns out he went to school in California and managed -- surprise, surprise -- a Round Table Pizza restaurant.   Apparently he was considering opening a RT franchise but opted to go independent.  I've never had a RT pizza, but I've had many, many of the "Ohio" version of the RT that look just like yours.

What stands out most about his pizza was the sauce (and lots of gooey cheese -- both yellow and orange).  The sauce always had a strong fennel taste.  (At least I thought it was fennel, but could also be tarragon or anise as these could taste similar in a sauce.) All of which leads me to ask,

Dan -- What are you using for sauce these days?  I tried Lydia's sauce and it was good, but not very close to the sauce I remember.

Keep up the great work and mouth-watering photos.

--Tim

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #134 on: August 18, 2013, 11:52:01 AM »
Hi Tim. Great to hear about your experiences. This is definitely a technique that many learned from the original 3, (Two if you don't include Straw Hat Pizza.) then went out and started their own businesses. It's a pretty regional style in terms of customer preference. I have taken so much from the forums and members here that I certainly don't mind sharing my recipe and tips. I actually think of this style as a dying genre, almost like the arcades of the 80's. The more people that know about it and can replicate it, it just might stay around longer.

For the sauce I have been using the following recipe. It isn't a clone of anything, just something that I have manipulated over the years with different member input. I use a spray dried beer extract from butcher and packer. It's a maltodextrin-based product which contributes some "sweetness" to the sauce, therefore there is no sugar in the sauce. Alternatively, you can omit the water and use the Red Hook ESB to replace it. This maintains the malt, but isn't as sweet. Also, if you want more flavor, kick it up to 3-4 tsp. per batch. I can is good for ~1.25 pizzas. Enjoy!

Malty Laminated Beer Pizza Sauce

Mix the following:
3 tsp. Mexican Oregano         
2 tsp. Beer Buds, Dried beer extract (www.butcherpacker.com)
1 tsp. Granulated California garlic (NOT garlic salt.)
1 tsp. Ground Fennel (Mortar and Pestle ground)
1 tsp. Fennel (Whole)   
½ tsp. Paprika
½ tsp. Ground Coriander   
¼ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. Black pepper   
¼ tsp. Cayenne      

To make the sauce:
6 oz. Can Heinz tomato paste   (1 can)
4 oz. Water (~2/3 can)

Add 2 tsp. to tomato paste. Stir in water, cover and refrigerate 24-48 hours.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 11:57:19 AM by DNA Dan »

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2013, 02:50:09 AM »
Dan,

Thanks SO much for posting your sauce recipe.  I will give it a try soon.  I made a couple of pizzas with your latest recipe (at Reply 131) over the weekend.  I converted it to baker's percentages and came up with:

Flour (100%):    481.39 g  |  16.98 oz | 1.06 lbs
Red Hook ESB: (48.198%): 232.02 g  |  8.18 oz | 0.51 lbs
IDY (.623%): 3 g | 0.11 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
Salt (2.077%): 10 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.08 tsp | 0.69 tbsp
Sugar (2.077%): 10 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.51 tsp | 0.84 tbsp
Lard (2.077%): 10 g | 0.35 oz | 0.02 lbs | 2.31 tsp | 0.77 tbsp
Tone's Garlic Romano Seasoning (1.247%): 6 g | 0.21 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1.73 tsp | 0.58 tbsp
Total (156.299%): 752.41 g | 26.54 oz | 1.66 lbs | TF = 0.132

This is for a 16 inch pizza with nominal TF of 0.132

It appears that Tone's has stopped making the garlic romano seasoning.  I can't find it on their website and it's getting harder to find online.  I substituted Garlic Romano Sprinkle by a company called "Durkee."  I don't know how similar this is to Tone's but I like the extra flavor (and SMELL) it added to the crust.  It was also good on the bread sticks I made with the dough scraps -- melted butter, salt, and Garlic Romano sprinkle -- yum.

I didn't have any beer on-hand and so just used water.  I was pressed for time with these and so didn't do any folding and hence didn't get much lamination.  (I have achieved decent lamination in the past by using the tri-fold technique -- see next post.)  Despite these challenges I still came up with some pizzas that my family really enjoyed.  My wife says it's the closest thing to our old local pizza place in Ohio she's had in a long time.  That restaurant is no longer in business so it's especially nice to be able to make something close to that pizza at home.

The first 2 pictures are a 14 inch mushroom and Boar's Head pepperoni.  The wife likes LOTS of mushrooms.  ::)   Next 3 are a 16 inch pepperoni for me and the boys.

Dan thanks again for all your work on this pizza style and for sharing all you've learned.  I'll keep experimenting with sauces and will post when and if I come up with one that tastes close to the one I remember.   

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2013, 03:05:53 AM »
Here's one I made earlier this summer with a slightly different recipe, but the main thing that was different was the folding technique.  Even with just a rolling pin and some elbow grease, this type of lamination can be achieved without a par bake.

--Tim

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2013, 05:32:55 AM »
It appears that Tone's has stopped making the garlic romano seasoning.  I can't find it on their website and it's getting harder to find online.  I substituted Garlic Romano Sprinkle by a company called "Durkee."  I don't know how similar this is to Tone's but I like the extra flavor (and SMELL) it added to the crust.  It was also good on the bread sticks I made with the dough scraps -- melted butter, salt, and Garlic Romano sprinkle -- yum.
Tim,

Durkee and Tone's are both owned by ACH Foods and, according to http://www.achfood.com/our-products.cfm , the Durkee and Tone's products are both made in the same plant in Iowa.

Peter

Offline DNA Dan

« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2013, 12:02:56 PM »
Ditto what Peter stated, it's the same stuff. I think the packaging is just a regional thing. I bought mine on the internet here: http://www.spiceplace.com/tones_garlic_romano.php

Happy to see your results and the family enjoyed it. Looks really good. What are you using for oven/baking conditions? I am really digging that singed pepperoni.

Offline RockyMountainPie

• I Knead Pizza!
« Reply #139 on: August 21, 2013, 12:30:52 AM »
Peter and Dan,

I'm glad the Tone's and Durkee's is the same product.  I found it on amazon and it came packaged in 2 huge bottles.  Maybe I'll start using it on my breakfast cereal.   :-D  I wasn't sure about the parsley flakes so tried to separate some of them out with a sifter, but they weren't very noticeable and didn't seem to affect the taste.

Glad you like the looks of my pizzas Dan.  Since I don't yet have a conveyor pizza oven in my garage  ;)(wifey's not buying in to that one just yet), I use 3/8 in Baking Steel in my KitchenAid convection oven.  I never use the convection function because I don't want to introduce another variable.  I set the oven on its top temperature (500 degrees) but I don't know how hot the oven and the steel actually get because I don't have an IR gun.  In the past I've done this style of crust and NY style with the steel on the bottom rack for 5 minutes, then I would move the pizza off the steel and onto a rack 2 notches above that to stop browning the bottom and finish the top for another 4 to 5 minutes.  It finally occurred to me that I could just move the steel up 2 notches and get the bottom and top done at about the same time.  This has reduced my bake time to about 6 or 7 minutes and resulted in the tasty singed pepperoni.  (Prior to topping the pizza I put the pepperoni in the microwave on high for 30 seconds to de-grease them and prep them for the bake.) 

Tim