Author Topic: PANZEROTTI  (Read 3259 times)

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
PANZEROTTI
« on: March 27, 2011, 09:34:05 AM »
I was interested in trying to make a panzerotti and found this dough recipe on the Food and Wine website.

1 TSP ADY
1 CUP MILK
3 TBLS EVOO
3 TBLS DRY WHITE WINE
7 CUPS UNBLEACHED FLOUR

Has anyone ever made a dough recipe like this?

Would it be possible for this to be broken down into bakers percentages?

How do you think a recipe like this would work for a regular stretched and baked pizza?

Do you think I should use my high gluten all trumps or kyrol flour? or just use a regular all purpose flour?

Thanks

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: PANZEROTTI
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 11:04:33 AM »
ERASMO,

Is there a particular type and brand of unbleached flour you plan to use? Do the instructions specify the type of unbleached flour to be used? Otherwise, it is hard to convert the recipe to baker's percent format because different flours have different weighs per volume. Maybe another member familiar with the types of flours used to make a panzerotti can offer up some advice.

Peter

parallei

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 05:12:18 PM »
I had these things once in Italy and I remember them being pretty light.  Here is my attempt based on KAAP:

Item                            Weight, gram     Weight, oz       Baker's %
1 TSP ADY                              3.12                0.11              0.35
1 CUP MILK                          244.09               8.61             27.55
3 TBLS EVOO                          40.54              1.43               4.58
3 TBLS DRY WHITE WINE          44.51              1.57               5.02
7 CUPS UNBLEACHED FLOUR    885.92            31.25            100.00

Totals                                 1218.18            42.97            137.504

No Salt?

You may wish to check using the Dough Tools!

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 05:27:58 PM »
Woops,  Yes 1-tsp salt.

Thanks

Here is a link to the recipe.
http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/deep-fried-savory-tarts

Thanks for all the work.

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 07:59:11 AM »
Pete,
I just recieved an email from the author of the recipe and she said she uses KA all-purpose unbleached flour.

Thanks

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 03:47:56 PM »
ERASMO,

Doing some math conversions and using the expanded dough calculating tool at http://www.pizzamaking.com/expanded_calculator.html, I took a stab at converting your recipe to baker's percent format. I added the one teaspoon of salt to that recipe along with one cup of water that is mentioned in the article you referenced. For the flour conversion, I used the Textbook method of flour measurement as described in the Mass-Volume Conversion Calculator at http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/, using the King Arthur all-purpose flour in the pull-down menu.

As you may note, the expanded dough calculating tool does not include wine as one of its possible dough ingredients. So, I usurped another field in the tool (I used the Honey field). That gives the correct weight of the wine, in ounces and in grams, but the volume conversions for wine are not the same as for honey. For the wine conversion, I used a conversion factor of 0.1646 ounces per teaspoon. That conversion is based on my weighing 3T of wine on my digital scale. I changed the wording in the output of the expanded dough calculating tool from Honey to Dry White Wine, and I converted the weight of wine to volume measurements. The strikeouts show the changes I made in substituting wine for honey in the expanded dough calculating tool.

This is what I ended up with:

King Arthur All-Purpose Flour* (100%):
Water (26.341%):
ADY (0.43094%):
Salt (0.6362%):
Olive Oil (4.61723%):
Honey Dry White Wine (4.78824%):
Milk (fresh) (27.3614%):
Total (164.17501%):
877.15 g  |  30.94 oz | 1.93 lbs
231.05 g  |  8.15 oz | 0.51 lbs
3.78 g | 0.13 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
5.58 g | 0.2 oz | 0.01 lbs | 1 tsp | 0.33 tbsp
40.5 g | 1.43 oz | 0.09 lbs | 9 tsp | 3 tbsp
42 g | 1.48 oz | 0.09 lbs | 6.01 tsp | 2 tbsp | 9 tsp | 3 tbsp
240 g | 8.47 oz | 0.53 lbs | 16 tbsp | 1 cups
1440.06 g | 50.8 oz | 3.17 lbs | TF = N/A
Note: No bowl residue compensation
*Conversion is based on using the Textbook flour measurement method

You may have to make some adjustments to the total hydration of the dough as mentioned in the article you referenced, given that the recipe nor the author indicates how the flour is measured out volumetrically.

If you decide to alter the amount of dough, you will have to go through the above exercise with the new numbers. That is why I explained and showed what I did.

Peter

parallei

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 05:15:18 PM »
Water also! Well I got it right based on the information given ;D

I used:

http://foodsim.unclesalmon.com/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 10:11:21 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2011, 05:26:55 PM »
Paul,

You done good  :-D. I wondered how you did it. My numbers are based on the conversion factors built into the dough calculating tools, some of which were based on actual weighings. But November's numbers are very good indeed.

I suspected something was missing in the ingredients lists that you and ERASMO posted because the dough would have been extremely dry with only a cup of milk for seven cups of flour. That is when I went to the article to see if something was missing. It was the water. Now the total hydration with the water, milk, wine and oil looks workable.

Peter

Offline ERASMO

• Wood Fired Ovens PA
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 06:53:40 PM »
Pete and par,

Thanks so much for the work you did.  I really flaked on the ingredients list!!!  I was trying to go from memory, Mistake!

I am going to try this recipe for fried panzerotti and I also want to try baking one the pizza stone to see what happens.

Thanks again!  Greatly appreciated.

parallei

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 10:39:29 PM »
ERASMO,

Now be sure to post photo's!  The one's I remember best (in le marche) were filled with something like porchetta.  More empanada like than pizza like.