Author Topic: Wanna see a $1,200 (new) dough mixer that can mix 160lbs of dough?  (Read 1171 times)

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Supporting Member
  • If you learn how to listen, everyone is a guru
We're opening a second shop, so we were out pricing equipment.  On the outskirts of Kuala Lumpur there was this strip of places with restaurant/kitchen equipment.  We were looking at some refrigerators in one place and the guy said he repped for a big Chinese manufacturer and they had everything we could want at great prices.  So I asked him about a dough mixer for 25 kilo bags and he shows me three different models including one that said it was rated for 50 kilo bags of flour.  And the price was $1,200.  I'm like, no way - I gotta see this.  He says he doesn't have any here, but the manufacturers warehouse is 10 minutes away.  I say - we'll follow you - let's go.  10 minutes later we enter this HUGE complex and we have a seat and some harried manager comes out and says they need 15 minutes to uncrate the mixer and bring it to the showroom.  In the meantime, we look over the catalog and they have EVERYTHING and really cheap - upon asking most of the stuff needs to be ordered 30 days in advance - no biggie.

So the mixer is ready and we take a look.  Very simple design, 3-phase electricity and it is gear-driven - which for me makes it a steal and definately worth trying.  It's more like a trough than a bowl, but who gives a f..k.  So we ordered one and will set it up in our new central kitchen that will feed our two stores.

Now before you go hating on this fine piece of Chinese machinery, I had plenty of doubters in this forum on my used $1,000 SIMTAC (Taiwanese) spiral mixer that we bought for the first store.  That baby has been a workhorse since day one!  And it's used!

Once I get it up and running (which should be in November) and let you guys know how it is in action. 

Offline PizzaJerk

Re: Wanna see a $1,200 (new) dough mixer that can mix 160lbs of dough?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 10:32:19 AM »
It looks like a meat mixer.
May I glorify the Lord in all that I do.

The Lunch Room http://atthelunchroom.tumblr.com/

Offline Andrew Bellucci

• Supporting Member
  • If you learn how to listen, everyone is a guru
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 10:39:38 AM »
When we asked who else they sell this to, they said a couple of government cafeterias and they were using it for mixing roti canai

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roti_canai

Offline weemis

• My Pizza Web Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 11:12:39 AM »
Seems like it would be hard to keep clean. I'm interested in the full report!
Nick Gore - just a dough eyed wanderer

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 11:43:36 AM »
It looks like the trough tilts forward. That's neat. With the right height rolling cart - you could dump out the dough onto a cart and roll it to the next station.  ;)  Cool!
Cheers,
Don
I have done wrong.. but what I did, I thought needed to be done.

Offline mastafella

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 06:32:33 AM »
I've never tried a mixer like this. Previously only used a planetary mixer in Canada and for my first shop in Shanghai we got a spiral mixer.  We stated off doing 10Kg with no problem but now after 3 months we can't mix on high speed with 5Kg. This mixer was only about 400usd but looked pretty powerful. I'm interested in how your new mixer works.

Offline kdefay

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 11:57:19 AM »
We got a similar mixer to mastafella's about two years ago.  Looks like ours is the same size (30L).  Made in Taiwan and about $650US.  Two years on and it still runs like a champ.  I feel lucky, because we could have easily had the same experience as you.  Asia's a tough place to find quality equipment.

Andrew, that thing looks like a beast!  Looking forward to hearing how well it works for you. 

The USA, Myanmar, and Liberia are the three remaining countries in the world who do not use the metric system.  That's some fine company to keep!!

Buy a scale, think in grams, and welcome to the 21st century!!

Offline mastafella

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 08:42:40 PM »

We got a similar mixer to mastafella's about two years ago.  Looks like ours is the same size (30L).  Made in Taiwan and about $650US.  Two years on and it still runs like a champ.  I feel lucky, because we could have easily had the same experience as you.  Asia's a tough place to find quality equipment.

Andrew, that thing looks like a beast!  Looking forward to hearing how well it works for you.

I'm really interested in that brand if you could help pass along. Also I have seen many small Hobart's kicking around second hand markets.

Right now I could get away with only mixing 5 Kg per day so wondering if you think it would be wise to swap out for the small Hobart.

Offline kdefay

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 09:02:28 PM »
Hobart is one of the most trusted brands out there.  What about service?  If something goes wrong,  can you get a Hobart worked on in Shanghai?

I think the mixer I have is marketed under a few different brands and part #'s.  I was told it was Taiwanese, but I did some looking around and here it is in China with a different part number and brand. 

http://www.21food.com/products/sale-wheat-flour-mixer-machine-or-dough-mixer-machine-spiral-mixer-machine-764266.html

It's been going strong for two years with no sign of slowing down...

Kirk
The USA, Myanmar, and Liberia are the three remaining countries in the world who do not use the metric system.  That's some fine company to keep!!

Buy a scale, think in grams, and welcome to the 21st century!!

Offline ruu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2015, 12:07:34 PM »
I've never tried a mixer like this. Previously only used a planetary mixer in Canada and for my first shop in Shanghai we got a spiral mixer.  We stated off doing 10Kg with no problem but now after 3 months we can't mix on high speed with 5Kg. This mixer was only about 400usd but looked pretty powerful. I'm interested in how your new mixer works.

I am really interested in this mixer. Any help with getting one please?

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2015, 12:26:27 PM »
You can probably add $1000 to import one yourself, between shipping and duties.

These are similar:

http://www.reliabuy.com/catalog/Spiral_Dough_Mixers-558-1.html

The for a given size, the mixing capacities are lower for the Chinese mixers (30l/13kg) vs. the Italian (20l/18kg).

Offline ruu

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2015, 12:53:26 PM »
You are the best, thanks alot.
Any experience with the site? Are they trustworthy?
Any other recommendation?

You can probably add $1000 to import one yourself, between shipping and duties.

These are similar:

http://www.reliabuy.com/catalog/Spiral_Dough_Mixers-558-1.html

The for a given size, the mixing capacities are lower for the Chinese mixers (30l/13kg) vs. the Italian (20l/18kg).

Offline vtsteve

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2015, 02:34:08 PM »
I don't have any direct experience with them. Their ebay store has 100% positive feedback. I've been fighting mixer lust for a couple of years, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet.  :-D

Google 'spiral mixer pizza' and check out the first 3-4 pages of links.

FWIW, I'd like a three-phase Avancini (wired through a VFD, so I can run it at home), but I do a lot of bread.

Offline vtsteve

The Omcan 53qt. 3-phase got kind of a 'meh' review on the BBGA forum... not super heavy duty, chintzy (but workable) controls, and a half-inch gap between the bottom of the spiral and the bowl (so it needs a little help to pick up all the flour, even with water in before flour).

pizzapan