Author Topic: Kitchen Aid batch size issues  (Read 367 times)

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO project
Kitchen Aid batch size issues
« on: July 28, 2015, 12:44:31 PM »
I have a kitchen Aid mixer that I don't use much because I prefer to use my food processor most of the time. I decided to give the mixer a shot the other day, but it did not much like the size batch I made.  According to the manual I was below max limits of 12 cups "1440g" of flour. The motor was growley and ran hot.  My recipe was 1300g of flour at 62% hydration. Does anyone have the same issue? Mixer hasn't been used that much, I guess I will try next time at a smaller batch size, maybe around 1000g. Any input on batch size would be appreciated. ???

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Kitchen Aid batch size issues
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 12:48:51 PM »
I do not go higher than 2,000 grams total (flour and water and everything else).  Craig mentions he goes as high as 2,800.

Mine is starting to moan and groan lately, but it is really because of the very dense bagel doughs I made in it.  It may need new gears at some point.  But, the pizza dough comes through with flying colors.

https://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=32061.msg317666#msg317666
Mitch

Offline old_alex

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 02:21:00 PM »
Do not confuse "max volume" with max flour for bread dough it may differ than when making a cake. I suspect if you look up the "max" for dough you may find you are over stressing the unit.
What model is it? Unless it is the commercial it may not handle it the Pro line is not what it used to be. My wife got hers about 2 years after Julia Child got one; "I want one of those" it was $325 almost 25 years ago. Back then all the gears were metal and the motor was better. I don't know about now. Then again I could be wrong.

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO project
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 09:10:30 PM »
The model is a professional series 5 plus. Manual says not to exceed 12 cups of flour, not total batch size. It also noted not to use more than 6 cups of whole wheat flour.

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 10:14:17 PM »
The model is a professional series 5 plus. Manual says not to exceed 12 cups of flour, not total batch size. It also noted not to use more than 6 cups of whole wheat flour.

Well, if the cups of flour are around 4.4 ounces each and the final dough is around 165% of total flour, then it is

12*4.4*1.65*28.4 = 2,474 grams total.  So, that is roughly the capacity.

Your dough was 1300*1.65 (about) = 2,145.  You were close, but under.

As mentioned, Craig goes much higher, I keep mine at 2,000 or less.  I think there is a gear in there that is replaceable that is the first thing to go under heavy loads.  Mine may be heading that way.

Is yours new?  Old?  Mine is about 4 years old.

Mitch

Offline hodgey1

• I Love Pizza!
    • My WFO project
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 07:34:53 AM »
Well, if the cups of flour are around 4.4 ounces each and the final dough is around 165% of total flour, then it is

12*4.4*1.65*28.4 = 2,474 grams total.  So, that is roughly the capacity.

Your dough was 1300*1.65 (about) = 2,145.  You were close, but under.

As mentioned, Craig goes much higher, I keep mine at 2,000 or less.  I think there is a gear in there that is replaceable that is the first thing to go under heavy loads.  Mine may be heading that way.

Is yours new?  Old?  Mine is about 4 years old.
Mine is at least 7-8 years old, but very under used. I will have to reduce my batch size down, I'm certain that a total batch size of 2,000g or less is the answer.

Thanks Mitch

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 08:30:04 AM »

Mine is starting to moan and groan lately, but it is really because of the very dense bagel doughs I made in it.  It may need new gears at some point.  But, the pizza dough comes through with flying colors.

bagel dough is what killed mine and also, the mentality that if it fits in the bowl it must be ok  ;D.  The gears are pretty easy to replace (there are some really good youtube videos out there).     
Deb

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 08:38:29 AM »
Got mine as a birthday gift about 25 years ago and is still running strong (I probably just jinxed myself and the thing exploded as I sit here  :)  ).  Then again I don't go as high as 12 cups flour.
tom

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 08:45:17 AM »
bagel dough is what killed mine and also, the mentality that if it fits in the bowl it must be ok  ;D.  The gears are pretty easy to replace (there are some really good youtube videos out there).   

Did you replace yours?   I am so chicken / inept at stuff like that.  Where did you get the parts?
Mitch

Offline deb415611

• Supporting Member
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2015, 09:21:25 AM »
Did you replace yours?   I am so chicken / inept at stuff like that.  Where did you get the parts?

it's in this thread , including service manual, video , where I got the parts (hopefully all the links still work), I think you said yours was a 600?.  Do you have a cute furry helper, I think that is key ;D 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=23312.0

eta -- I just checked the links and see right on the front page that mending shed now has all the parts in a package  http://www.mendingshed.com/kitchenaidgearassembly.html      the first time i did not replace everything there and one part not replaced looked worn and the mixer went again.  I'd do the whole package (it's pretty much what I replaced the second time)

Also - it's easiest if you have the right tool to replace the retaining ring - I'm not sure what it is called, i'm sure someone can tell us what it is. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2015, 09:25:57 AM by deb415611 »
Deb

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2015, 09:28:18 AM »
Keeps my floors very clean but not very good with mixer repair. 
Mitch

Offline vtsteve

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 12:39:40 AM »
Also - it's easiest if you have the right tool to replace the retaining ring - I'm not sure what it is called, i'm sure someone can tell us what it is.

Snap-ring pliers.
In grams we trust.