Author Topic: Is this peel worth investing in?  (Read 1556 times)

Offline vnoz

• I Love Pizza!
    • My facebook
Re: Is this peel worth investing in?
« Reply #40 on: July 11, 2014, 01:23:55 PM »
Stonecutters is pretty nice i agree. 

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2014, 07:58:26 AM »
Stonecutter, your peel looks so good it almost makes me mad that I didn't do it. :-[  I've got SS and alum sheet leftovers.

I hope you don't mind my sharing how I would recreate your artwork.  Measure, mark, drill, countersink.  The only mystery to some might be the mark and countersink.  Fortunately, that is easy and inexpensive at HarborFreight.com

Dave

Offline stonecutter

• Old World Stone & Garden
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2014, 11:57:08 AM »
Stonecutter, your peel looks so good it almost makes me mad that I didn't do it. :-[  I've got SS and alum sheet leftovers.

I hope you don't mind my sharing how I would recreate your artwork.  Measure, mark, drill, countersink.  The only mystery to some might be the mark and countersink.  Fortunately, that is easy and inexpensive at HarborFreight.com

Dave

No, of course I don't mind....but now I expect you to make one.

I made mine because I wanted to try a perf peel without buying one.  That, and we got a new, smaller grill and so I dismantled our old monster for the SS.   I used a template for the holes...drilling was tedious enough without measuring and marking.  Here's the template,  it's a veg tray for the gas grill.  Once I marked the pattern I just alternated the hole size on each row.  I beveled it, then used a buffing wheel.

http://oldworldstoneandgarden.com/

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
John Ruskin

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2014, 12:01:11 PM »
Here's my turning peel.  It's a little more crude than the perf peel....mainly because it's a broom handle with a metal end that was hammered flat so I could rivet my stainless to it.   That piece of SS was given to me by a friend that owns a commercial shop, and he had sheets of SS.   The peel is 8" and I'm guessing 10 gauge.  This peel and the other are fixed with 3/16" SS rivets-which are fun to snap by hand.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 12:05:57 PM by stonecutter »

John Ruskin

Offline stonecutter

« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2014, 12:11:24 PM »
Oh, and use WD-40 or something to help with cooling the drill bit as you go....it really helps the longevity of the bit.

John Ruskin

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2014, 01:13:31 PM »

Dave
would you believe me if i told you those centering punces are bad for your drill bits....they
mash/harden the plate you are drilling precisely at the bits weakest `point`.

a good bit and solid work surface is all that is necessary.
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2014, 01:44:36 PM »
would you believe me if i told you those centering punces are bad for your drill bits....they
mash/harden the plate you are drilling precisely at the bits weakest `point`.

a good bit and solid work surface is all that is necessary.
Don't be a sissy Bob.  Buy a centering punch and get to work.  Stonecutter is right, you need to make one of these bad boys and you need to use a little cooling fluid.  Pictures or it didn't happen!

Dave

Offline vnoz

• I Love Pizza!
    • My facebook
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2014, 08:49:51 PM »
do you think this could work? i actually have one for my cheeseburgers that i could test out next time i cook.. would only be able to do personal sized pizzas for it tho

Id imagine that the slits would be too wide

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2014, 01:55:26 PM »
do you think this could work? i actually have one for my cheeseburgers that i could test out next time i cook.. would only be able to do personal sized pizzas for it tho

Id imagine that the slits would be too wide
vnoz, you could try it.  Given the image, it is difficult to scale the width of those slits.  Too wide and the dough may droop down and hang up on launch.
Dave

Offline don602

« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2014, 02:15:30 PM »
I spray wd-40 on my pizza peel and it slides of nicely.

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2014, 05:17:13 PM »
I spray wd-40 on my pizza peel and it slides of nicely.
Great man!   Have you ever tried spraying it on your boyfriend?    :drool:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline Giggliato

« Reply #51 on: Yesterday at 11:42:40 PM »
wood and metal. There must be another material we are overlooking. I haven't had a problem launching 18" pies for years, but it does seem like everyone has issues when they are beginning.

Perhaps a metal peel with a thin coat of something more lubricatory and food safe would work? I would also suggest using a peel a few inches larger than the diameter of the pie you wish to make, and then instruct those who use it to lightly shake every pie loose of the pie before actually launching. But increasing the diameter increases the weight. a fully loaded 18" on a standard 20" wood peel can be a bit much for a wrist.