Author Topic: Bosch small batch arm  (Read 244 times)

Offline kneader65

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
Re: Bosch small batch arm
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 12:36:16 AM »
Although we are here to eat pizza, sometimes crow is on the menu.

Leading up to the time I purchased a Bosch Universal mixer, I searched for info regarding small batches.  One dealer I spoke to told me about the small batch adapter.  There was no info I could find pro or con that seemed reliable, so I decided to buy it.  When the machine arrived I assembled it with the adapter since my doughs usually weigh 430-880 grams.  I did not try the machine without it.  The adapter made sense to me since it has two flanges to "catch" the dough which I thought would increase the kneading efficiency.

In an earlier post on this thread, Chau mentioned that the small batch adapter is useless. I thought he was inhaling too much laughing gas. :-D  So I decided to do my own test comparing a dough ball weighing 435 g (HG,60%,salt,IDY) with the adapter and a second without it.  I took photos at one minute intervals to document my impending triumph.  Well it didn't happen !!!  In a nut shell without the adapter the dough came together by 3 minutes and I thought it was finished by 5 minutes.  With the adapter the dough wasn't "ready" until 9 minutes into the kneading.

Kudos to Chau.

Bob

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 09:16:05 AM »
Kneader, this product is new, not the small batch adapter, and while I have not seen a review of this exact item, here is a review of a similar option 

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=15815.msg155131#msg155131

Offline kneader65

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 06:21:36 AM »
Thanks Barry.It looks like new small batch arm might have been inspired by Jet_Deck!

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 07:44:03 AM »
I hope Jet-Deck gets his royalty.  I considered his mod, but did not want to drill a hole in the dough hook, figured it would be a pain to clean when I wasn't using the attachment, and eventually sold it and bought a better mixer.

Offline Crispy Please

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 11:51:07 AM »
I hope Jet-Deck gets his royalty.  I considered his mod, but did not want to drill a hole in the dough hook, figured it would be a pain to clean when I wasn't using the attachment, and eventually sold it and bought a better mixer.

Hello -  I have read a great deal about the Bosch and Ankarsrum (Electrolux, etc.) and watched too many YouTube videos but have yet to see either one in person.

What "better mixer" did you get?

Thanks,
Crispy

Offline dsissitka

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 12:45:40 PM »
Has any one tried the small batch arm for the Bosch Universal mixer?

I'm going to give it a shot.

What "better mixer" did you get?

He's an Electrolux guy.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 12:47:22 PM by dsissitka »

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 02:57:30 PM »
Yes, for a home mixer, if you can find one used, the Verona, Magic Mill, DLX, Electrolux, Assistent,  Ankarsrum ( it had a number of names ) is great.  It can handle the smallest amount of dough, up to large amounts, and it doesn't care whether your hydration is in the 50's or above 90, has no gears, just a belt and electronic control, and has a timer with shutoff, you couldn't ask for more for kneading dough.  I have not yet found something it can't knead.

Offline apizza

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 08:54:46 PM »
Very interesting kneader65. Hope to read some good reports because my Bosch could use this.