Author Topic: Best Stand Mixer Under $1K (Whole Wheat Dough)  (Read 158 times)

Offline DiderotsGhost

Best Stand Mixer Under $1K (Whole Wheat Dough)
« on: Yesterday at 11:33:12 AM »
I love making pizza dough, but have had significant difficulties with our KitchenAid Professional 600 stand mixer. Particularly, I've found that it has trouble making whole wheat dough, as I often make about 4 doughballs at once, and the cheap plastic parts inside have broken several times. I've heard that the older KitchenAids were made better (particularly back when it was owned by Hobart), but seems like the newer ones often have a lot of cheap parts in them (which is a shame because the motor itself is great!)

Any recommendations for a stand mixer that can handle 4 - 6 whole wheat doughballs at once that doesn't cost $3,000?

Do the new "Commercial" KitchenAids fare any better than the "Consumer" ones or am I likely to run into the same problems? Anyone have any experience with the KitchenAid KSM8990NP Commercial Series NSF Certified Stand Mixer? Or should I really just try to find an old KitchenAid or Hobart?
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:37:13 AM by DiderotsGhost »

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Best Stand Mixer Under $1K (Whole Wheat Dough)
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 09:23:13 PM »
Some people like the new KA professional. The Ankarsrum is a bread kneading workhorse,  and it will handle 5 pounds of flour according to some sites.  http://pleasanthillgrain.com/ankarsrum-swedish-stand-mixer-heavy-duty-kitchen-mixer

Offline The Dough Doctor

• Tom Lehmann
  • Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 11:31:10 PM »
Also, keep in mind that when made properly, whole wheat doughs are no more difficult on the mixer than your regular doughs made with white flour.
I've made a number of posts on how to determine the absorption of any one particular whole wheat flour but is short you need to use a soaker. This is done by blending all of the whole wheat flour with 75% (actual dough absorption for your flour may be different) absorption/water based on the weight of the whole wheat flour. Allow this soaker to hydrate for one hour at room temperature (this is best done right in the mixing bowl). When making the soaker it is only necessary to mix the dough just enough to wet the flour). After the soaker has hydrated add the remainder of your ingredients and mix just until the dough comes together and forms a smooth, cohesive dough ball, it should be slightly tacky after mixing. Take the dough directly to the bench for scaling and balling, place into lightly oiled individual containers for cold fermentation. I like to oil the entire dough ball and place each ball into a plastic bag, twist the open end to form a pony tail and tuck it under the dough ball as you place it in the fridge. The dough will be ready to use in 18 to 24-hours.
Tom Lehmann/The Dough Doctor

Offline bradtri

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:52:13 PM »
I have the commercial KA 880.  It does quite well for up to around 3000 g for doughs above 60% hydration.  However, I also have the Bosch Universal Plus mixer and I feel it is much better as a dedicated dough mixer.  http://www.amazon.com/Bosch-MUM6N10UC-Universal-Extender-6-5-Quarts/dp/B0016KU16G/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1464720565&sr=1-1&keywords=bosch+universal+plus

I've been making batches of 4400 g at 61% in the Bosch.

I don't use the bosch for anything else though, the other attachments don't work well for me.