Author Topic: Good deal on Infrared thermomemeter... $14 free S/H  (Read 1204 times)

Offline Chicago Bob

• Lifetime Member
  • Easy peazzy
Re: Good deal on Infrared thermomemeter... $14 free S/H
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2014, 02:30:41 PM »
Can't beat the price so I now have a spare coming along with a set of "bear claws" for handling/shreading my smoker meats.  :)
Love that Amazon prime.....thanks for pointing out the promo code here too C.  :pizza:
"Care Free Highway...let me slip away on you"

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2014, 04:59:55 PM »
I wonder why infrared thermometers have fallen dirt cheap but some instant read thermometers are still super pricey. 

I'm not sure they have come down. Higher quality ones are still about the same. I have one of these, and it's nowhere near the build quality of my other which cost about $79 if I remember correctly. It works fine; it's just flimsy.
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Ar6entino

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 09:24:04 AM »
coupon not working no more :(

Offline OZ STAR

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 04:48:31 AM »
I just bought a similar one from E Bay. It is not a Nubee but called Tomtop. It looks the same as the Nubee and it cost $18 A incl postage from China.

I will post a photo when I receive it. They certainly are a lot cheaper now. Maybe the International patent has run out, not that some countries worry too much about that little matter.

Pete

Offline carl333

• Quest for a great dough!
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 07:29:42 AM »
I just bought one on Amazon for $20, missed the deal. Could I use this to measure temps of a cup of water, a vessel of frying oil, a dough temp with accuracy ?
Carl

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 08:04:12 AM »
I just bought one on Amazon for $20, missed the deal. Could I use this to measure temps of a cup of water, a vessel of frying oil, a dough temp with accuracy ?

This will only measure the temperature of the surface of an object. Just for fun I filled a container with warm water and compared the readings of a IR gun (pointed at the surface of the water) and a thermocouple immersed in the water. They were with one degree Fahrenheit of each other. Good enough for pizza making, IMO.

"With accuracy" is problematic since the IR emissivity, which is used by the probe to estimate surface temps of different materials, can vary widely.

Offline carl333

« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2015, 08:38:31 AM »
This will only measure the temperature of the surface of an object. Just for fun I filled a container with warm water and compared the readings of a IR gun (pointed at the surface of the water) and a thermocouple immersed in the water. They were with one degree Fahrenheit of each other. Good enough for pizza making, IMO.

"With accuracy" is problematic since the IR emissivity, which is used by the probe to estimate surface temps of different materials, can vary widely.

That's pretty darn accurate. Anyone try it on a ball of dough? But after some thinking, the temp of the surface of the dough could vary from the center but then again maybe not if the reading is taken right after a hand knead or a KA mix.
Carl

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2015, 02:17:12 PM »

Offline carl333

Carl