Author Topic: Good deal on Ph meter - limited time  (Read 130 times)

Online Donjo911

• Supporting Member
Good deal on Ph meter - limited time
« on: August 16, 2014, 04:43:40 PM »
I just stumbled onto this two days ago and forgot to mention it to the forum.  Thermoworks has a limited time offer on a Ph meter for $29.00.
Thermoworks are very quick to ship. I actually received this in 2 days, UPS ground from UT to OR.  Ph meters can be very expensive and are sometimes application specific - this seemed like a great deal:

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/ph/

Cheers,
Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline barryvabeach

Re: Good deal on Ph meter - limited time
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2014, 02:28:32 PM »
Don, can I use it to test dough, and where do I buy the stuff to calibrate it?

Online Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 10:57:14 AM »
Barry,
It does not state that it is NSF, so for commercial application - i'd guess not.  For home use, I don't see why not - that's what I'm going to use it for.  I want to understand more about the acidity of my sourdough over fermentation time, in addition to some other home applications..  I have not tried it yet - I'm making dough tonight or tomorrow so Ill see how it works and report back.

As for calibration, the unit can be internally calibrated up to 3 points by testing in buffer solution. They sell this at Home Depot, some grocery stores, pool supply stores, etc. I neglected to buy some at time of purchase and the Ph solution kit that I have is expired. I plan to pick one up today as factory calibration should be initially verified.

Cheers,
Don

Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:04:35 AM »
I think berry was asking if the unit is physically capable of measuring the pH of dough (is it sufficiently liquid).
Pizza is not bread.

Online Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 11:53:19 AM »
I think berry was asking if the unit is physically capable of measuring the pH of dough (is it sufficiently liquid).

That's a good question.  My hope is that it will be.  I know there are application specific pH meters that can be used on dough. (Norma has posted pics of hers as does Brain Spangler in his video, on the forum)

I don't know if this meter can deal with dough yet.  I was totally unfamiliar with the type of sensor this/or any ph meter used. It has a small filter that covers the electrode so I may try it with and without the filter in a controlled test and and then with dough.  I'll see how it goes and report back once I know for sure.
Thanks,
Don

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #5 on: Yesterday at 09:04:01 PM »
Don,  yes, my question was whether it needed to be a liquid to measure ph ( I downloaded the manual, and it didn't address it, but it seemed that it might, since it talked about stirring the solution).  It also said it should be calibrated every day if used often, so I wondered about the cost of the testing solution.