Author Topic: High Gluten Flour from a Low Gluten Flour  (Read 1176 times)

Offline work130

High Gluten Flour from a Low Gluten Flour
« on: March 28, 2011, 02:26:32 PM »
I want to use a local flour (Soft winter wheat-Low Gluten) to make a high gluten flour for pizza crust by adding a vital wheat gluten,the only ingredient  I'm missing is the potassium bromate and after googling it I've find it's not an ingredient I really want to use because of the negative feed back I've seen on the internet.I have heard that Vitamin C can be a replacement. I've come up with some recipes that work but it doesn't rise as much as I would like and it's a little stiff. Suggestions?

Offline TXCraig1

Re: High Gluten Flour from a Low Gluten Flour
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 11:49:11 AM »
There may not be a good alternative to potassium bromate in the home kitchen. Vitamin C (ascorbic acid), as you noted, is used as a replacement as it is a natural oxidizing agent, however, it requires oxygen to work and even then has other shortcomings not the least of which is that it acts faster than bromate. To get oven spring and tenderness with ascorbic acid that is comparable to what bromate can deliver, you would probably also need to incorporate both oxidative (such as glucose oxidase) and carbohydrase enzymes (such as fungal alpha-amylase). The first to provide oxygen, and the latter to compensate for the faster action and improve the oven spring and soften the texture.  Getting these right would be daunting to say the least without a lab.

You might give long fermentation (24 hours+) time a try. I'd give it a try with and without (using greatly reduced quantity of yeast) refrigeration.

I'm assuming you are using regular yeast (active dry, instant dry, or cake) correct? A sourdough culture might also give you interesting reesults to experiment with.

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

pizzapan