Author Topic: Jacksonville, Florida-best pizza in the area  (Read 2987 times)

Offline pjbear05

Jacksonville, Florida-best pizza in the area
« on: March 28, 2011, 10:34:33 PM »
I'm doing a roadtrip to JAX next month to meet some friends and hang out.  Looking for great places to get pizza in the area.  Chicago deep dish and Sicilian/Detroit style preferred, but if it's tasty other styles will work,too.  We will be fairly mobile, so dine-in establishments are highly desireable.

Your suggestions are appreciated, and thank you.
"Aw, Paulie?  You won't see him no more!"

Offline Pizzamaster

Re: Jacksonville, Florida-best pizza in the area
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 08:55:53 PM »
Great cuisine and Jacksonville is a misnomer like Military intelligence lol. There is no good Deep dish pizza there. Closest for that is Pizzeria Uno in Daytona. For NY and Sicilian there is only one place to go. Rosina's Pizzeria. Rated number one and unlike many times it actually deserves it. Make sure to go to the one at 1580 Wells Road in Orange Park not Kernan.

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 11:35:13 PM »
Non pizza related, but worth a mention.  I would absolutely die for some rock shrimp from Dixie Crossroads.  If your plans allow, please hit this place on your road trip North.  Take pictures and tell me how good it still is. Please ?

http://dixiecrossroads.com/

Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline StrayBullet

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 09:47:00 AM »
Non pizza related, but worth a mention.  I would absolutely die for some rock shrimp from Dixie Crossroads.  If your plans allow, please hit this place on your road trip North.  Take pictures and tell me how good it still is. Please ?

http://dixiecrossroads.com/

Quit giving away our local secrets ;) :D !!!!

Many times the top is dropped on the cross state "race" to Ecklers for some sun & shine before stopping in for a bite to eat!

Mark

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 11:14:17 AM »
 ;D  OK thanks people.  I'll check Rosina's out-beats going to Jet's.

Jet Deck, double thanks for the link.  I'm hitting JAX from Gainesville, but will be coming down I-95 on the way back to Broward County, and Dixie Crossroads is a definite lunch stop.

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 01:28:14 PM »
Great cuisine and Jacksonville is a misnomer like Military intelligence lol. There is no good Deep dish pizza there. Closest for that is Pizzeria Uno in Daytona. For NY and Sicilian there is only one place to go. Rosina's Pizzeria. Rated number one and unlike many times it actually deserves it. Make sure to go to the one at 1580 Wells Road in Orange Park not Kernan.
OK, I take it that means stay away from Chicago Sports Grill, right?

Offline Pizzamaster

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 05:35:54 PM »
Yes absolutely wholeheartedly I concur lol.

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 11:56:21 AM »
Well, it was a year late, but I spent last weekend with friends in JAX, and we did get out to Rosina's.  I guided my friends in to a table (All three are sight impaired, two of them totally) and we decided on a 16x16 with pepperoni, sausage, green pepper and mushrooms.   The waitress looked at me skeptically as though to say, "are you sure you want a 16x16?", not knowing the capacity of my friends and I.

First off, the pizza got to the table quick-less than 20 minutes from order to table.  Crust was not too thick, crispy on the bottom, but very light and airy, not dense at all, and the crust was rosemary infused-yummo!
Lots of cheese, enough sauce, and adequate toppings.  After the first tentative bite, we all said, "OMG, this is really good", and set to demolishing the 16 squared.  4 healthy sized pieces for each of us.

We got there mid-afternoon on a Sunday, the place was nearly empty, and the waitress went out of her way to check on us and keep our beverages filled, which earned her all healthy tip, our praise for a fantastic pizza, and the promise of a mention on the board.

Pizzamaster, thanks for the recommendation. Based on the pictures, I'm guessing the New York Style is as good, plus this is a full menu Italian restaurant, so if you're in the Orange Park area SW of Jacksonville and have a hankering, by all means gives Rosina's a try.

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2012, 02:40:18 PM »
What no Pictures ?  :'( I am landing there in JAX from Jersey on Oct 20th Right at dinner time  !
how far from airport
thanks
John
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2012, 02:19:23 PM »
John, 27.1 miles, 34 minutes from Jacksonville International via I-295 South to Exit 12 Blanding Blvd., info per Google maps directions.

The partially sighted member of the group did take pictures, although I don't know how much of it we had demolished by then.  I'm trying to get them sent, and I'll try to post them.

The website has pics of the food, including the New York Style pizza, which also looked mighty fine! ;D

http://www.rosinaspizza.com/
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 02:57:34 PM by pjbear05 »

Offline soflnoles

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2012, 03:29:37 PM »

I lived in Jacksonville for 10 years and the best pie back then was Vitos on Baymeadows but it has been awhile since I have been back. 

Has anyone tried http://www.peleswoodfire.com/?

Offline shuboyje

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2012, 06:12:48 PM »
You mention Detroit style in the original post.  There is a Jet's in Jacksonville if you've never had that, their square is a Detroit style crust topped a little more standard. 
-Jeff

Offline pjbear05

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 08:29:05 PM »
Yeah Jeff, did know about the Jet's branch in JAX, had them as a back-up plan in case someone on the forum didn't come through.

Still hoping for Jet's to get closer to my house.  the 25 minute drive from their Ft. Lauderdale branch is a pain.  But when ya gotta have it, ya gotta go!

pizzapan