Author Topic: I'm about to give up!  (Read 4162 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: I'm about to give up!
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2011, 06:18:53 AM »
Norma,

Thanks for your input. I have read the Pizza Glossary and think that I know the difference between elasticity and extensibility. I had read the links that you suggested before but I read them again. I think that I am understanding the process a little better now. I think that what I will do for my next pizza (in a week from this Friday) is to let the dough rise in the frig for two days and see how that works.

grandpa,

In the link I referenced before, this is a good explanation on how to mix dough by hand by Peter at Reply 65 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.msg63786.html#msg63786

By mixing your dough and then letting it cold ferment a day or longer, the dough should be easier to work with.  Just add enough IDY or ADY so the dough doesnít ferment too much.

Best of luck!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Botch

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2011, 06:03:58 PM »
grandpa,

I donít know if you have read this thread, http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.0.html but it has a lot of good information for someone starting out on learning to make pizza.  Peter posted the formula to make pizza at Reply 8 with instructions and comments for pizzzzagirl, or anyone else to use.
(http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.msg19563.html#msg19563)

You will be able to learn about dough more after a few tries.

Good luck!  :)

Norma

Damn, what a revelation.  Thank you Norma for posting this link, and thank you Peter for writing it!  
I ended up having the day off today so I gave my new digital scale a try, along with my new docker, dough mixing loop and Caputo 00 flour (thanks again Frankie G!) and Pete's dough recipe.  I was impatient so just let it rise at room temp for three hours, I'll do a refrigerator batch soon.  I mixed and kneaded the dough by hand instead of using my KA, and kneaded for only 6 minutes.  Let it rise, did not punch it down, then tried stretching it on the counter and then across my fists.  I got the dough too thin in the center, but it did not tear!! (I think if I get up up on my fists sooner next time it'll work better).  It formed a circular shape much easier than I've ever done before.
I didn't get the crust as dark as I normally do; it was so thin in the center I had to remove it from the oven sooner than I'd hoped.  Crust tasted good (for that-day dough) and was stiff enough to fold (except, again, at the center).  

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u139/Botch07/12Apr11.jpg

(as you can tell, in my rush I forgot to use my shiny new docker  ::) ).  So hang in there Grandpa, it is doable!   :chef:
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 06:08:14 PM by Boettcher »
I cook with wine.  Sometimes I even add it to the food.  - W. C. Fields

buceriasdon

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2011, 06:23:27 PM »
Boettcher, Really no need to use the docker on this style of pizza. I use mine strictly for lower hydration thin and crispy crusts. You would laugh if you saw my docker but it does work.
Don

Offline Botch

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »
Boettcher, Really no need to use the docker on this style of pizza. I use mine strictly for lower hydration thin and crispy crusts. You would laugh if you saw my docker but it does work.
Don
They don't show up in the pic very well, but I did have two huge bubbles on that pie, although they were on the "rim".  (and my first docker was a new wire dog-brush...  ;D)

buceriasdon

« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2011, 08:31:23 PM »
lol, My docker is a stiff hair brush ;D
Don

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2011, 09:05:01 PM »
That was mean, although not intended to be so I edited it.

Offline grandpa

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2011, 10:52:24 PM »
There is a wealth of information on this forum and sometimes it is difficult to find that information. A great deal of appreciation is due to those members who are able to cite posts in order to help others.

Thanks to all.

Offline Botch

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2011, 10:54:09 PM »
There is a wealth of information on this forum and sometimes it is difficult to find that information. A great deal of appreciation is due to those members who are able to cite posts in order to help others.

Thanks to all.
Agreed 1000%! 

Offline grandpa

« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2011, 09:33:25 PM »
I made good progress this week. I made a pizza skin according to Pete-zza's instructions (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2223.0.html) using Joiseystud's recipe and was able to stretch the dough on my fists. I didn't want to press my luck so I didn't twirl the dough in the air.

Thank you, thank you, thank you all for your help and encouragement.

Grandpa

pizzapan