Author Topic: The 1969 "No Knead Method"  (Read 988 times)

Offline compatta

• Good pizza haunts you, driving you mad for more.
The 1969 "No Knead Method"
« on: January 10, 2011, 07:43:48 PM »
After going to a local Goodwill store in Orange County today, i found a book called Foundations of Food Preparation, 2nd. edition,
by Gladys C. Peckam (Published in 1969-17 years before i was born!). Other than telling me (as a hard science major in college)
how to perhaps cook pizza a bit better (even though it was talking more about bread-i will talk more about this particular book in
the future), the thing that really caught my eye was:

"Is it possible that the 'No Knead Method' was actually coined in a Food science textbook in 1969?"

Even if Jim Lahey from Sullivan street bakery created the method and with Mark Bittman from the New York times made it popular, publishing
the "long-cold fermentation" method" back in 2006, a method in a 1969 method in a textbook mentions another so called and little published
variation of the "No Knead Method" to creating flavorful, if not artificial, yeasted bread (rolls) which are "kneaded" and seemed to only involve:
Shorter fermentation time, less flour, and more fat. (Great for Emergency Doughs?)
As i'm unsure if this method would neccessarily create more
"flavor," i would like to see the forums input on utilizing such a method specifically created for home use. Its my guess that this makes sense for Pizza
Hut like dough formulations which seem to utilize a high percentage of oil, but i'm really not too sure.

I guess when you have food insomnia from thinking about Pizza and bread too much, it was both an interesting find to see the word "No Knead Method"
actually being published before Jim Laheys Method to creating No Knead method bread. As there were no formulas or bakers percentages for this, I guess
all the board needs to do is reverse engineer and make sense of it! Attached are my inspirations for this post.

The true and quintessential version of pie to me is [NEO-New Haven]:
Crust of a New Haven Pizza with the Signature California style that
makes Fresh and Organic Pizza Possible.

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
Re: The 1969 "No Knead Method"
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2011, 08:16:25 PM »
Well, my Granny was born in 1910 and she taught me no-knead methods that her granny taught her (without using fats), so I would guess the method is pretty old.  Still cool to find books like that though.

Offline Davydd

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 09:49:24 PM »
This book coming out in the future will be a pizza based no-knead book.

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/?p=1365
Davydd

Offline skyno

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 04:17:59 PM »
I know that this topic hasn't been active for a while, but in case someone is still keeping an eye on it:

I'm fairly experienced w/ no-knead bread & I get great, consistent results, but I've tried several times to make "no-knead pizza dough" & I just can't get it to work because the dough is just too wet to work with as pizza dough, especially w/ my sourdough starter and even if you just compensate by changing the ratios to get a dryer dough, it has no structural integrity

Has anybody had luck w/ it?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 04:49:11 PM »
I hand mix for 2 or 3 minutes, and just fold the dough 7 times at around 80% hydration.  Works Great!