Author Topic: Totonno's technique  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Sedagive

• I Love Pizza!
Totonno's technique
« on: May 11, 2005, 01:04:29 AM »
I've noticed on my visits to Totonno's in Coney Island that when making a pizza,  they put the mozzarella on before the sauce.  Never seen it anywhere else and I was wondering what you all think about this.  Does it make a difference?  Is this one of the reasons their pizza is so delicious?  Any reasons not to? 

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Totonno's technique
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2005, 01:59:41 AM »
I have tried this technique as well, and I like it.  It is fun to change things up once in a while.  There are also some functional reasons for this.  I am not a fan of browned cheese, but I love a good char to the crust, so it keeps the cheese nice and moist even with a hot bake.  The sauce, though, can get too cooked if you use a really dry sauce.  If I am putting the cheese down first, I drain less juice from the tomatoes than I do when I put the sauce down first.    Also, if you put the cheese down first you can get less of a gum line of uncooked dough.   Oil also works for this.  They act as a barrier to keep out the moisture from the sauce.  When the moisture seeps into the dough, it keeps it from cooking.

Offline pftaylor

• Life's Short. Get Wood Fired Up!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2005, 07:00:15 AM »
I also put sliced or chunked cheese down first for all the reasons mentioned and some others.

The bite texture (tooth and mouth feel) is vastly different. When putting cheese down first it creates a more tacky bite sensation which I find pleasing. Also, it creates distinct taste zones with crust & cheese, crust & tomato, and sometimes crust, cheese and tomato. Finally it makes a lighter pie due to the slightly lower amount of tomato sauce used. Small difference to be sure but quite noticeable nonetheless.

I know for a fact that Grimaldi's and all the chain Patsy's also put down the cheese down first.

Downside is it takes a few moments longer to dress a pie.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2005, 10:14:07 AM by pftaylor »
Pizza Raquel is Simply Everything You’d Want.
www.wood-firedpizza.com

Offline friz78

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2005, 10:43:51 AM »
I have also switched to this technique recently and found it to work quite well.  Most of my motivation to switch to this technique was inspired by pictures of pftaylor's pizzas, as he clearly uses this technique as well as anybody.  I also agree with his previous post about the different taste structures of cheese/crust, sauce/crust, cheese/sauce/crust.  It makes for a much more complex flavor experience when using this technique.
Friz

pizzapan