Author Topic: Growing tomatoes  (Read 6350 times)

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
Re: Growing tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:10:19 AM »
Ooh! Thanks for reminding me. I've had my seeds for months. It's time to get them started. I buy my seed from http://www.tomatogrowers.com/
 This year I'm growing "Margherita", "Super Marzano", "LaRoma II", "Amish Paste", and "Black Krim".

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 11:03:55 AM »
I have 3 San Marzanos, 1 sweet 100 cherry, and some Ladyfingers in the ground and doing well (the ladyfingers were from seed, so they haven't sprouted yet).  I bought volcanic sand and mixed it heavily into the containers with the San Marzanos, they appear to like it.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 11:35:57 AM »
Thank you for posting this mmarston.  With last years tomato shenanigans, I planted them next to 2 small trees.  Overwatered the tomatoes and subsequently the trees and killed the trees.   This year I plan on growing the tomatoes along my walls where there is heat and where the water drains well.   I also saw how viney some of the plants were last year so I was planning on using trelises.  I can use ideas from this article to make my own trelises.   

Thanks,
Chau

Offline mmarston

• I can stop eating Pizza any time I want!
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 12:20:57 PM »
This years choices from Tomatofest and Terroir Seed:

Goldman's Italian-American, Chocolate Stripes, Cherokee Purple, Siletz

Bloody Butcher, Aussie-Heirloom, Sunsets Red Horizon, Black Cherry Tomato
Nobody cares if you can't dance well.  Just get up and dance.  Dave Barry

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 01:07:02 PM »
That is a good article. I was going to make bamboo cages, but I think I will make bamboo trellises now, and grow them on string.

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 12:37:20 AM »
i am doing lots of new ideas with companion planting this year.

lots of borage, tarragon, onions, and basil.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 12:17:19 AM »
When it comes to growing tomatoes around here, all I can say is that Mockingbirds are very lucky that they are the state bird of Texas...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 04:08:14 PM »
Seeds planted last weekend are starting to germinate and sprout. I have fluorescent lights hanging from a shelving system this year to grow seedlings. This way they get 14 hours of "light" per day and I can put everything in the basement, out of the way.

At this rate I may be transplanting to individual containers by next weekend. My goal is to plant outside by the 3rd week of May.

John

Offline Jeep Pizza

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2011, 10:04:32 PM »
Planted the SM seeds that Chau sent me and they are about 3" tall now. Got 19 plants out of 24 seeds planted. Looking forward to putting the plants in the ground around Easter. I'm adding in 8 beefsteak and 4 heirloom variety for everyday eating.
Time is money, money is power, power is pizza and pizza is knowledge.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 12:29:22 AM »
Seeds planted last weekend are starting to germinate and sprout. I have fluorescent lights hanging from a shelving system this year to grow seedlings. This way they get 14 hours of "light" per day and I can put everything in the basement, out of the way.

Hopefully people won't get the wrong idea about what it is you're growin' in your basement...
Pizza is not bread.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 08:00:54 AM »
Hopefully people won't get the wrong idea about what it is you're growin' in your basement...

The woman in Home Depot who was helping me choose a light spectrum color cracked her brow a bit when I told her the lights were for plants.

John

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 11:33:51 AM »
Here are my San Marzanos and cherry tomatoes.  They were in 4" pots about a month ago, and I will have to build a trellis soon.  The okra, sunflowers, and basil are also sprouted and growing well.

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 11:45:32 AM »
very nice.

we've had some bad weather here in Northern California... so planting tomatoes today.

Offline matermark

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 04:32:51 AM »
Just starting mine now... 60 varieties though some may not germinate due to age.

Has anybody ever grown a "San Marzano Nano?" It's supposed to be a dwarf size plant. I bought it and the indeterminate, normal San Marzano from someone on ebay and the labels were lacking and both pack just say "San Marzano." DUH! I have no way to tell which is which or if even they gave me 2 different varieties. I don't have the room to take chances to find out, with so many better varieties. I even have one called "Blocky Marzano!"

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 03:57:12 PM »
Just planted 14 varieties of seedlings in containers with "walls-of-water" to protect from the chilly nights. Hoping for a good harvest in a few months!

Offline cranky

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 05:18:21 PM »
Just planted 14 varieties of seedlings in containers with "walls-of-water" to protect from the chilly nights. Hoping for a good harvest in a few months!

Bill,

I have used walls of water for years.  They really do a great job of helping get in early.  I put them out two weeks before the plants go in to help warm the ground.  Getting the dirt warm is very important.  I also use a black fabric I got in big rolls on Ebay.  A mistake you can make with walls of water is to leave them on too long.  The leaves spred out and touch the walls and get cooked.  The plant gets stunted also.  Where I live a lot of commercial growers put plants in the ground in hoop houses open on both ends.  It warms things up early in the day and holds some heat at night. 

We are all eager to get going.  Startng too early is not helpful.  It takes the plants a long time to recover after a cold spell.  Even if they do not freeze they get set back.

For the San Marzano lovers, they grow great next to Mount Vesuvius.  Look for varieties that do well where you live.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 05:37:12 PM »
Thanks for the info, cranky. I've been using w.o.w.'s for about 10 years with great success. The weather around here can be so wacky in April: 70-80F during the day, 25-35F at night. But the winds up to 50mph can be the worst, drying out or knocking over delicate seedlings.

Many gardeners around here, including me, use white plastic or fabric to cover the soil in containers - the sun at 7000F above sea level is so powerful, you need to reflect the heat rather than absorb it into the soil. Right now, the air temp is 69F, it is mostly cloudy, and my IR laser gun is reading surface temp of 93F on the ground.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 06:03:12 PM by Bill/SFNM »

Offline cranky

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 05:42:28 PM »
Thanks for the info, cranky. I've been using w.o.w.'s for about 10 years with great success. The weather around here can be so wacky in April: 70-80F during the day, 25-35F at night. But the winds up to 50mph can be the worst, drying out or knocking over delicate seedlings.

Many gardeners around here, including me, use whiteplastic or fabric to cover the soil in containers - the sun at 7000F above sea level is so powerful, you need to reflect the heat rather than absorb it into the soil. Right now, the air temp is 69F, it is mostly cloudy, and my IR laser gun is reading surface temp of 93F on the ground.

What varieties do best there?  Do you need to shade plants in the summer?

Offline Mick.Chicago

• Squish.
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 06:09:04 PM »

Many gardeners around here, including me, use white plastic or fabric to cover the soil in containers - the sun at 7000F above sea level is so powerful, you need to reflect the heat rather than absorb it into the soil. Right now, the air temp is 69F, it is mostly cloudy, and my IR laser gun is reading surface temp of 93F on the ground.

I'm surprised you haven't made a solar pizza oven  >:D!

We have to wait a long time till we can plant out side here in Chicago. We could still get snow, but in the summer I normally strictly use herbs and tomato from the garden!

pizzapan