Author Topic: Growing tomatoes  (Read 6458 times)

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Growing tomatoes
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 06:16:17 PM »
I've always had great luck with all kinds since we have hot days and cool nights in a very dry climate which discourages many diseases. Principe Borghese and Mama Mia did really well last year. Ditto Brandywine and Super Sweet 100's. I definitely went overboard with so many varieties this year - most of them new ones.

I have a screen mesh over the containers that partially blocks some sun - started using the mesh after a hail storm wiped everything out several years ago.

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 08:26:00 AM »
My basement seedlings are progressing rapidly. San Marzano, Principe Borghese, and Cuor di Bue.

John

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2011, 08:34:01 AM »
beautiful photography John.  Mine are a bit leggier.  How do I prevent that?  Are you burying the seeds deep?  You are using light bulbs correct?  If so can you post specifics about the bulbs? 

Thanks,
Chau

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 09:14:55 AM »
i used advice from this page in starting my tomatos and basil: http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/tomato/2005015135020413.html  it talks about leggy seedlings and how to avoid.  i got seeds for San Marzano 2, San Marzano Redorta, Red Cherry Tomatos and Bolloso Napoletano Basil from https://growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=009&DEPT=1130608177&BACK=A0001A1 . They're doing well so far after we moved to cups.  We'll plant in a couple of weeks. 

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 09:45:44 AM »
I'm growing 6 tomato varieties this year under home made indoor grow light boxes - Big Zac, Delicious, Romapo, Moreton, LaRoma II, and Brandywine Red (Landis Valley Strain).

I planted the seed on March 15th and the plants are about 4" to 6" tall now. I will move them outside to home made cold frame boxes at the end of April to harden off before garden planting in mid May sometime.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 10:01:48 AM »
Thanks for that link Bill.  That definitely helps. 

Chau

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 12:42:03 PM »
beautiful photography John.  Mine are a bit leggier.  How do I prevent that?  Are you burying the seeds deep?  You are using light bulbs correct?  If so can you post specifics about the bulbs? 

Thanks,
Chau

Chau - I believe the key is fluorescent lighting 3-4 inches above the plants for 14 hours a day.

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 12:43:13 PM »
I will move them outside to home made cold frame boxes at the end of April to harden off before garden planting in mid May sometime.

Would you mind expanding on the cold frame box construction and use?

John

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2011, 12:53:36 PM »
John did you make the light setup or did they have a light set up at home depot?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2011, 12:58:07 PM »
John did you make the light setup or did they have a light set up at home depot?

David - I made it myself with cheap wire frame shelving and shop lights suspended on chains.

John

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2011, 01:10:42 PM »
Dang, I already have blossoms!  Of course in a couple of months it will be so hot it is hard to keep them alive...

Offline matermark

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2011, 02:58:19 PM »
i used advice from this page in starting my tomatos and basil: http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/tomato/2005015135020413.html  it talks about leggy seedlings and how to avoid.  i got seeds for San Marzano 2, San Marzano Redorta, Red Cherry Tomatos and Bolloso Napoletano Basil from https://growitalian.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=009&DEPT=1130608177&BACK=A0001A1 . They're doing well so far after we moved to cups.  We'll plant in a couple of weeks. 

That GardenWeb link is a good starting point. I helped write the FAQs about 5-6 years ago, unfortunately the rest of the forum started going downhill after iVillage bought it and loaded the site up with ads & popups that are annoying and even unexpected.

Many that take tomatoes more seriously moved on to www.tomatoville.com which is privately funded, has no ads, and is php based I think (similar to this type forum, with notifications, PM's, etc.)

For you "techie" guys, be sure to see the Overdriving Shop Lights threads at GardenWeb's  Growing Under Lights subforum.

To keep your plants short & stocky, grow them in cool conditions (mid 60's) and always keep the fluorescent lights just a few inches above your plants so they don't get leggy.

Hope this helps.

Offline ZekeTheCat

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2011, 09:56:08 PM »
Would you mind expanding on the cold frame box construction and use?

John

John
My cold frame is essentially a miniature greenhouse - rectangular in shape made from 2x4s for the base - 22  1/ 2 wide x 45 long - inside measurements - it can hold 4 standard plastic green house trays. It has a top frame made from 1x2s that is hinged onto the 2x4 base frame . It has a half round dome, about 11 tall at the center apex, made out of 2x4 wire mesh attached to the frame, that I got at the hardware store , and the half round ends are also enclosed with this mesh - all wired together. It is covered with an opaque polyethylene plastic greenhouse covering material. Im currently modifying it to add a ventilation slot on top to prevent overheating similar to a greenhouse, which has been a problem in past years. I put my indoor grown tomato and flower trays in at the end of April to harden the plants for a week or so before garden planting in May. Hope this helps.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2011, 10:12:47 PM »
That GardenWeb link is a good starting point. I helped write the FAQs about 5-6 years ago, unfortunately the rest of the forum started going downhill after iVillage bought it and loaded the site up with ads & popups that are annoying and even unexpected.

Many that take tomatoes more seriously moved on to www.tomatoville.com which is privately funded, has no ads, and is php based I think (similar to this type forum, with notifications, PM's, etc.)

For you "techie" guys, be sure to see the Overdriving Shop Lights threads at GardenWeb's  Growing Under Lights subforum.

To keep your plants short & stocky, grow them in cool conditions (mid 60's) and always keep the fluorescent lights just a few inches above your plants so they don't get leggy.

Hope this helps.

Very cool Matermark.  Always nice to have another tomato expert on the forum.  I'll move my seedlings into the garage this weekend.  It sounds like they'll do better in there. 

Chau

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2011, 05:51:11 AM »
John
My cold frame is essentially a miniature greenhouse - rectangular in shape made from 2x4s for the base - 22  1/ 2 wide x 45 long - inside measurements - it can hold 4 standard plastic green house trays. It has a top frame made from 1x2s that is hinged onto the 2x4 base frame . It has a half round dome, about 11 tall at the center apex, made out of 2x4 wire mesh attached to the frame, that I got at the hardware store , and the half round ends are also enclosed with this mesh - all wired together. It is covered with an opaque polyethylene plastic greenhouse covering material. Im currently modifying it to add a ventilation slot on top to prevent overheating similar to a greenhouse, which has been a problem in past years. I put my indoor grown tomato and flower trays in at the end of April to harden the plants for a week or so before garden planting in May. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much!

John

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2011, 10:17:58 AM »
I fed them this morning and I have almost a dozen fruits!  Here is my pizza garden, 3 San Marzanos, lime basil and sweet basil.

Offline lilbuddypizza

• Cheesy dude
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2011, 08:24:14 AM »
Anyone ever try those topsy-turver hanging planters???

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2011, 09:25:18 AM »
I left my grow lights on overnight by accident will this effect the plants in anyway? They were on for about 20hrs +/- 30mins. Theres something else that confused me. When I got the setup I asked the guy how long I was supposed to leave them on for. He said 16 on, 6 off. What about those other 2 hours. Did he say it wrong or is it supposed to be a cycling at different times thing?

Offline Jet_deck

« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2011, 10:07:36 AM »
I fed them this morning and I have almost a dozen fruits!  Here is my pizza garden, 3 San Marzanos, lime basil and sweet basil.

When did you start them, New Years Day?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #39 on: April 21, 2011, 10:42:55 AM »
Around March 15, that is our last freeze day, from 4" pots.