Author Topic: What is Boston's Eqivalent of Patsy's Pizza?  (Read 1358 times)

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
What is Boston's Eqivalent of Patsy's Pizza?
« on: March 23, 2011, 11:54:13 AM »
I will be in Boston next week. Does anybody know of any pizza restaurants that taste similar to Patsy's, http://www.patsyspizzeriany.com/? You know, a sweet sauce, non-greasy lean toppings and thin crust? I have been reading reviews and it seems that Santarpio's gets good reviews.

Thanks!

Offline TXCraig1

Re: What is Boston's Eqivalent of Patsy's Pizza?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »
You might try Regina Pizzeria. They have a bunch of locations. It's been a long time, but I remember their place in the North End being OK. Please let us know how it is if you go.

Craig
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 05:13:09 PM »
Peggy,  Craig,  yes the reginas in the north end is quite good,  none of the others are as good IMO.  Along with Santarpios,  I would consider checking out Picco as well.  None are really close to patsys but are good in ther own ways.  Even though I have been to them all more than once,  if you asked me right now which one I would want to go to,  I wouldn't have a quick answer.  -marc

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »
You might try Regina Pizzeria. They have a bunch of locations. It's been a long time, but I remember their place in the North End being OK. Please let us know how it is if you go.

Craig

Thanks! I saw reviews on that one as well. Will add that to my "To Try" list.

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:59:53 PM »
Peggy,  Craig,  yes the reginas in the north end is quite good,  none of the others are as good IMO.  Along with Santarpios,  I would consider checking out Picco as well.  None are really close to patsys but are good in ther own ways.  Even though I have been to them all more than once,  if you asked me right now which one I would want to go to,  I wouldn't have a quick answer.  -marc

Thanks. I swear, Patsy's has ruined me, in a good way! That is the pizza that I judge all others by now. Patsy's is the only pizza that does not feel like a greasebomb in my stomach and just tastes so good. Out of Regina's, Santarpio's and Picco which of these makes their pies with a sweeter sauce?

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 08:53:32 PM »
Peggy,  I really do no think that any of them are sweet,  but i would not say that patsys is either.  I would say that santarpois is the least sweet,  I have seen them use pastene crushed tomatoes right from the can.  Here is a question.  Are you going to have a car while you are in town?  If so I have a thought for you.-marc

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 12:39:11 AM »
Peggy,  I really do no think that any of them are sweet,  but i would not say that patsys is either.  I would say that santarpois is the least sweet,  I have seen them use pastene crushed tomatoes right from the can.  Here is a question.  Are you going to have a car while you are in town?  If so I have a thought for you.-marc

I have a friend who will be driving me around, so yes.

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 08:33:33 AM »
Peggy,  this is not a brick oven place but it is a legend for the people that grew up on it.  I only found out about it like 10 years ago and make a point to stop whenever I pass by.  It is a very unique pizza,  and the sauce tends to be sweet.  This pizza is kind of either you love it or you don't but if you do you will always remember it.  Lawrence is about 20 minutes outside Boston to the north.  If it is in the cards,  give it a shot.  -marc

http://www.tripolibakery.com/pizza.htm

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 10:27:31 AM »
Peggy,  this is not a brick oven place but it is a legend for the people that grew up on it.  I only found out about it like 10 years ago and make a point to stop whenever I pass by.  It is a very unique pizza,  and the sauce tends to be sweet.  This pizza is kind of either you love it or you don't but if you do you will always remember it.  Lawrence is about 20 minutes outside Boston to the north.  If it is in the cards,  give it a shot.  -marc

http://www.tripolibakery.com/pizza.htm

Thanks! That pizza looks like the pizza they served in the cafeteria at elementary and junior high school, which I loved! But I bet this tastes better. I will see if we can get over there and will report back.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 02:00:09 PM »
there is nothing in boston anything like patsy's.    My suggestion to you is to take Boston pizza for what its worth as its own thing.    Here are my rec's

Posto....  The only pizzeria here using a wild yeast starter. They have a high temp oven and their pizza times in at right around 3 minutes just like Patsy's (3-4 min).  Their lean is more toward neapolitan, but its the closest we have to a patsys type of pizza.   I have heard it has been getting better and better since it opened.   Its in davis square, which is a fun area.
Picco.....  A decent attempt at artisan pizza, so really great toppings but normal 550ish oven temps. Home made ice cream too.  
Pizzeria Regina north end location.   I like this pizza better than santarpios, which can be too chewy for me at times.  These two pizzerias are always in a battle for "best of boston" and have both been around forever.  Regina still has the original 80 year old oven, which is pretty cool.  They both are normal temp (550 degree) pizza.   Pizzeria Regina is in a must see area of boston, our "little italy".    

Not to knock marc's suggestion, but tripoli while having a REALLY sweet sauce, isn't much better or different than the pizza at my high school cafeteria.  If I was going to drive for pizza it would be to "brick" in new bedford, which in my opinion is the best pizza in Mass/RI/NH

Nothing else comes to mind that stands out above the rest.  
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 02:30:45 PM by scott r »

Offline widespreadpizza

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 07:06:45 PM »
I was hoping scott would chime in for you Peggy.  For me tripoli is a lot different than what I grew up with at lunch,  but that being said depending on how many times you plan to indulge,  we agree reginas or picco.  Just a sidenote,  reginas is cash only,  unless that has changed in the last couple years.  I would do both if you can.  Little Italy is pretty cool to see too.  FWIW Scott,  according to the guys up here,  posto is back to just yeast,  the sourdough was too much work...  Let us know what you decide and how you like them Peggy.  -marc

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2011, 08:26:24 PM »
aah, thats too bad about posto and they yeast.   Not that commercial yeast is a bad thing....that is what patsys is using as well.   I still put it on my list.  I finally had a chance to try it and it was actually pretty damn good, especially when compared to all the alternatives (nothing!).  Its really the only "high temp" pizza in town, so its going to be closest to patsys I think.

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 11:42:52 AM »
there is nothing in boston anything like patsy's.    My suggestion to you is to take Boston pizza for what its worth as its own thing.    Here are my rec's

Posto....  The only pizzeria here using a wild yeast starter. They have a high temp oven and their pizza times in at right around 3 minutes just like Patsy's (3-4 min).  Their lean is more toward neapolitan, but its the closest we have to a patsys type of pizza.   I have heard it has been getting better and better since it opened.   Its in davis square, which is a fun area.
Picco.....  A decent attempt at artisan pizza, so really great toppings but normal 550ish oven temps. Home made ice cream too.  
Pizzeria Regina north end location.   I like this pizza better than santarpios, which can be too chewy for me at times.  These two pizzerias are always in a battle for "best of boston" and have both been around forever.  Regina still has the original 80 year old oven, which is pretty cool.  They both are normal temp (550 degree) pizza.   Pizzeria Regina is in a must see area of boston, our "little italy".    

Not to knock marc's suggestion, but tripoli while having a REALLY sweet sauce, isn't much better or different than the pizza at my high school cafeteria.  If I was going to drive for pizza it would be to "brick" in new bedford, which in my opinion is the best pizza in Mass/RI/NH

Nothing else comes to mind that stands out above the rest.  

Thanks Scott! I think I am going to gain 20 lbs by the time I have tested all of these pizzas lol

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 11:43:51 AM »
I was hoping scott would chime in for you Peggy.  For me tripoli is a lot different than what I grew up with at lunch,  but that being said depending on how many times you plan to indulge,  we agree reginas or picco.  Just a sidenote,  reginas is cash only,  unless that has changed in the last couple years.  I would do both if you can.  Little Italy is pretty cool to see too.  FWIW Scott,  according to the guys up here,  posto is back to just yeast,  the sourdough was too much work...  Let us know what you decide and how you like them Peggy.  -marc

Thanks. I will keep this in mind.

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2011, 08:05:16 AM »
Hey Everybody!

A friend and I went to Regina's on Thacher Street last night. The pizza was very good! I ordered a 10 inch pepperoni, sausage, garlic and extra sauce pie. The crust was thicker than what I prefer, it almost felt like I was eating a deep dish, but it was really, really good! I am going to try to hit up both Santarpio and Tripoli before I leave.

Oh, and I LOVED the little neighborhood it's in. It seemed like we were transported back to the 1930s when we turned on that street. Everything looked like it had been suspended in time.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2011, 02:22:48 PM »
Peggy, im so glad you liked Regina.  Im curious to hear how it stacks up against the other boston pizzerias.  I went to brick in new bedford the other day.   It was a let down.   Its funny, they have switched to caputo flour and regina DOP san marzano's.  Surprisingly the pizza is not nearly as good as it was back when they were using cheap ingredients.  The pizza timed in at 1 minute 20 seconds, so their oven is nice and hot. It should have been great!   It was really hard for me not to go back there and explain how and why they were screwing up the dough.   >:D

Offline Peggy Fair

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 08:03:58 PM »
Peggy, im so glad you liked Regina.  Im curious to hear how it stacks up against the other boston pizzerias.  I went to brick in new bedford the other day.   It was a let down.   Its funny, they have switched to caputo flour and regina DOP san marzano's.  Surprisingly the pizza is not nearly as good as it was back when they were using cheap ingredients.  The pizza timed in at 1 minute 20 seconds, so their oven is nice and hot. It should have been great!   It was really hard for me not to go back there and explain how and why they were screwing up the dough.   >:D

I accidentally ended up at the end of the subway line. Saw Pino's Pizza. I remember reading about them on a link that somebody posted in a thread around here. At first I thought I walked in to a Mexican restaurant because it was all Mexicans running the front counter. lol. Then I realized I was in the right place. Ordered a cheese slice and it was pretty good.

pizzapan