Author Topic: Reinhart New York Style Pizza Dough..........very easy!!!  (Read 34197 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: Reinhart New York Style Pizza Dough..........very easy!!!
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 01:11:30 AM »
You know Norma
I've been having so much fun with the neo neapolitan and then the classic dough, that I hoped this current recipe wouldn't turn out to be much.  I mean there is something comforting or sexy or something about having hands on contact with your dough (stretch and folds).  So, I admit, I secretly hoped this recipe would be a one time try and out....but no such luck.  After 24 hours in the fridge, the pizza is amazing!!!  I'll see what my last dough of the batch gives me tomorrow....I already know it will be killer!!!!!  And then I'll see if I can get as good a result with bread flour this week.  Best wishes in all your trials Norma!! Best of eating to you!!

John

John,

I am glad you found all of Peter Reinhartís doughs and really like them.  I wondered when you said you tried out Reinhartís NY style dough how you would like it.  I was then amazed at the results.  :) Since you posted you like the stretch and folds, did you see the new article on the Pizza Quest website about Peter Reinhart explaining about the stretch and folds and what they do?  I will be waiting to see your results with bread flour. 

Thanks for all your experiments.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline scott123

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 03:50:01 AM »
Terry Deane, one of our members who lived in NYC for seven years and later opened up his own pizzeria in Canada specializing in the NY style, once reported at Reply 43 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,2175.msg64050/topicseen.html#msg64050 that he had never had or seen a 16" pizza. He also noted the 14" size. As you will see from my post (Reply 44) that followed, it seemed like the 14" and 18" sizes were pretty much standard although I did find examples of 16" sizes. Later, I saw that 20", 22" and sometimes larger sizes were used but these appeared to be outliers. The 18" size seemed to be pretty standard for slices only.

The territory for NY style pizza is basically a doughnut.  Manhattan may have a few Neapolitan places and a handful of coal joints but for NY style slices, it's pretty much a wasteland.  Manhattan, with their higher overheads and wealthier clientele is going to put out a different product.  No offense to Terry, but his perspective is more of a Manhattan one. The 18" standard for both slices and whole pies is more of a Manhattan thing and not really representative of the style. As you move outwards from Manhattan, slice pies get larger.  Since it isn't feasible for these pizzerias to sell 20"-22" slice pies as large whole pies, they're going to have smaller dough balls for large pies. Large pies can be 18" or they can be 16". 18" may have a slight edge, but I don't think it's enough to make 16" an outlier.

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 08:38:59 AM »
Ybut no such luck.  After 24 hours in the fridge, the pizza is amazing!!!  I'll see what my last dough of the batch gives me tomorrow....
John

John, any chance this could be adapted to make an acceptable 12 hour emergency dough?
Dave
Always make new mistakes.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 06:08:28 PM »
Dave,
If your read Reinhart's recipe, 12 hours is the minimum refrigeration time....so, I would say yes!!!!  But, I'm telling you age is a great thing for this batch of dough I just did

jOhn

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2011, 08:11:41 PM »
John,
Practically speaking, a 12 hour dough wouldn't spend more than about 9.5 - 10 hours in the fridge since it would take a bit less than an hour to measure, mix, fold, scale and ball plus a couple of hours coming to room temp before baking.  Prrobably even less since I don't accomplish much before 8am but rarely eat after 8pm.  Still, it's worth a shot and bound to be better than our local delivery dreck.
Dave

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2011, 01:20:31 AM »
John,

I am glad you found all of Peter Reinhartís doughs and really like them.  I wondered when you said you tried out Reinhartís NY style dough how you would like it.  I was then amazed at the results.  :) Since you posted you like the stretch and folds, did you see the new article on the Pizza Quest website about Peter Reinhart explaining about the stretch and folds and what they do?  I will be waiting to see your results with bread flour. 

Thanks for all your experiments.

Norma

Thanks Norma...good info

Hey, the last pizza in the series....5 days in the fridge, reball 6 hours prior to baking....you know the best part about these doughs...you don't need a lot of cheese...makes em a little healthier???
John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2011, 06:56:28 AM »
John,

Your 5 day cold ferment Reinhart NY style pizza looks amazing!  :chef:  What I wondered is how the amount of yeast used .80 % can go for such a long cold ferment.  Did you start out with a lower final dough temperature?  The amount of olive oil 6.67% is really high too.  What do you think this high amount of olive oil does to the dough?

You have me intrigued with this dough.  I made one dough ball yesterday to try today.  I will see if I can get anywhere near your results.  Will post under your thread how it works out.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2011, 10:21:13 PM »
John,

I must say I agree with you in my first experiment with Reinhartís NY style dough.  ;D  Even with a one day cold ferment the pizza tasted better to me and Steve than a one day cold fermented Lehman dough.  I am going to try a Reinhart NY style dough next week with a longer cold ferment.  What I donít understand is this dough seemed ready today with the amount of yeast used.  I donít know what makes this pizza so good, but maybe it is the high amount of oil that is used. 

Steve said  now he also is going to try and make this kind of pizza.  Steve also gave this a thumbs up. 

This was an easy dough!

Pictures below of how my dough looked today and the final pizza.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 10:24:11 PM »
more pictures

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: April 05, 2011, 10:25:52 PM »
end of pictures

Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2011, 10:47:31 PM »
I like em Norma!!!!
Your pictures reminded me, that one of my employees (really gettin into food) explained the texture of this dough in his mouth as spiderwebby...I thought that was interesting, I think he meant it had a gelatin-material  like texture...kinda hard to explain, but your pictures say it all!!!  I haven't had a Lehman dough in a while, but I thought the one day Reinhart new york style was better tasting than the classic dough....agreed??

John

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011, 10:57:22 PM »
John and Norma,
Love those pies! Nice work as always! They look sooo goood!
 :pizza:

-Bill

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011, 11:20:48 PM »
I like em Norma!!!!
Your pictures reminded me, that one of my employees (really gettin into food) explained the texture of this dough in his mouth as spiderwebby...I thought that was interesting, I think he meant it had a gelatin-material  like texture...kinda hard to explain, but your pictures say it all!!!  I haven't had a Lehman dough in a while, but I thought the one day Reinhart new york style was better tasting than the classic dough....agreed??

John

John,

Thanks for saying you liked the Reinhart NY pizza.  I have made Lehmann doughs many times and so has Steve.  Both of us agreed that the Reinhart pizza was better than the Reinhart classic pizza.  I am getting so caught up in these Reinhart doughs and am interested where it will take me.  Who knows.  ::) This pizza today browned better than any of my Lehmann doughs in my deck oven.  

Norma

John and Norma,
Love those pies! Nice work as always! They look sooo goood!
 :pizza:

Bill,

Thanks from me.  :) This dough is really easy and the final pizza had a great taste.

Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011, 11:38:32 PM »
John,

Your 5 day cold ferment Reinhart NY style pizza looks amazing!  :chef:  What I wondered is how the amount of yeast used .80 % can go for such a long cold ferment.  Did you start out with a lower final dough temperature?  The amount of olive oil 6.67% is really high too.  What do you think this high amount of olive oil does to the dough?

You have me intrigued with this dough.  I made one dough ball yesterday to try today.  I will see if I can get anywhere near your results.  Will post under your thread how it works out.

Norma
Norma, as I always say,,,I'm simply an observer....I didn't take a final dough temp when I mixed, but I did use lukewarm water as instructed.  Can't comment on the amount of oil, except that as time goes on I will experiment with various factors and see what happens.  By the way, on your above pictures, did you reball, and if you did, when did you reball.  I've been looking at the pictures I've taken first with the neo neapolitan, and then with the classic dough, going all the way back to September...and I've noticed that in all the months I reballed 2 hours prior to bake, the bottom always baked blotchy, and speckled..but when I started the 5 to 10 hour prior reball, the bottoms are all golden brown..just something I noticed but can't explain!!!  Great work!!

John

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2011, 11:57:20 PM »
Norma, as I always say,,,I'm simply an observer....I didn't take a final dough temp when I mixed, but I did use lukewarm water as instructed.  Can't comment on the amount of oil, except that as time goes on I will experiment with various factors and see what happens.  By the way, on your above pictures, did you reball, and if you did, when did you reball.  I've been looking at the pictures I've taken first with the neo neapolitan, and then with the classic dough, going all the way back to September...and I've noticed that in all the months I reballed 2 hours prior to bake, the bottom always baked blotchy, and speckled..but when I started the 5 to 10 hour prior reball, the bottoms are all golden brown..just something I noticed but can't explain!!!  Great work!!

John

John,

I am also an observer, but I did take my final dough temperature and it was 75 degrees F.  I didnít use warm water.  I just used  water at room temperature.  I did 2 reballs before I put the dough in the refrigerator, over about 45 minutes time.  I didnít do any reballs today.   I did use ADM flour  though. 

Will be interesting to see how you experiment with this dough.  Interesting to hear about when you do the reballs at different times how that changes the bottom of the crust.

Thanks for trying this dough and getting me interested!  :)

Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2011, 10:58:46 PM »
My second attempt at the Reinhart New York style pizza dough.  This time I raised the hydration to 67%, just to see what would happen. I also used King Arthur Bread flour.  Here is the calculator to make 6 - 12 ounce dough balls:

Flour (100%):
Water (67%):
IDY (.80%):
Salt (2.22%):
Canola Oil (6.67%):
Honey (4.44%):
Total (181.13%):
Single Ball:
1149.46 g  |  40.55 oz | 2.53 lbs
770.14 g  |  27.17 oz | 1.7 lbs
9.2 g | 0.32 oz | 0.02 lbs | 3.05 tsp | 1.02 tbsp
25.52 g | 0.9 oz | 0.06 lbs | 4.57 tsp | 1.52 tbsp
76.67 g | 2.7 oz | 0.17 lbs | 5.63 tbsp | 0.35 cups
51.04 g | 1.8 oz | 0.11 lbs | 7.3 tsp | 2.43 tbsp
2082.02 g | 73.44 oz | 4.59 lbs | TF = N/A
347 g | 12.24 oz | 0.77 lbs

Dumped everything into bowl, mixed on speed 1 for 4 minutes...rested 5 minutes...mixed 1 speed up for 3 minutes.  The dough is much stickier because of higher hydration...but if you use the Reinhart method of pouring your dough onto a lightly oiled surface, it is very easily manageable....scale, ball, refrigerate.

The following dough was in the fridge for 22 hours...it was reballed 7 hours prior to baking, and was taken out of the fridge 2.5 hours prior to baking.  Pizza was baked in home oven on quarry tiles, top shelf, 550 degrees, 6.5 minutes.  Simply fantastic, can't wait to see the dough progress this week.

John

« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 12:38:19 AM by fazzari »

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2011, 11:09:51 PM »
John,
You are making me so hungry again with them pics!Great job as always!
 :chef:
-Bill

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2011, 11:11:57 PM »
I know that I could look at the percentages but how do you think this final product would differ from the Classic dough if its hydration was dropped to 67%?
Dave

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2011, 11:34:20 PM »
John,

Your pie looks simply fantastic!  :) Do you like the higher hydration better and did you use ADM flour again?

Nice job!

I might try at home this week.

Norma

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2011, 12:41:24 AM »
Norma
I modified the above post to say I used KABF this test...I know bread flour is probably easier to come by.  As far as quality of pizza, this one day pizza is better than the first test...I know the rest of the week will be amazing as they age

Dave
Cant' comment on the differences in the two doughs because this particular recipe has quite a bit of oil in it

Bill
You can ask my wife, I folded one for you!!

pizzapan