Author Topic: Reinhart New York Style Pizza Dough..........very easy!!!  (Read 34269 times)

Offline mzimm

Re: Reinhart New York Style Pizza Dough..........very easy!!!
« Reply #100 on: May 23, 2011, 11:25:52 AM »
I thought I would give this one a try.  I will be baking on a screen on the bottom oven rack (household electric range).  Should I stick to a 500° F temp being I'm using a screen or is  550° F with a screen OK? 

My final dough ball weight is around 505 grams and was wanting on a thinner NY crust so would use a 16" screen.  If you feel its stretching it too thin I have a 14" screen too.

I figured its easier to just ask then end up with a torched/dry pie.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mike

Offline mzimm

« Reply #101 on: May 23, 2011, 02:15:10 PM »
I meant to say above that I will be using a screen only (no stone).

Offline jever4321

« Reply #102 on: May 23, 2011, 02:42:21 PM »
I thought I would give this one a try.  I will be baking on a screen on the bottom oven rack (household electric range).  Should I stick to a 500° F temp being I'm using a screen or is  550° F with a screen OK? 

My final dough ball weight is around 505 grams and was wanting on a thinner NY crust so would use a 16" screen.  If you feel its stretching it too thin I have a 14" screen too.

I figured its easier to just ask then end up with a torched/dry pie.

Thanks for the feedback!

Mike
My last bake was 500g dough for 16" pie. In fact I could have easily taken it out to 18" so I would say your are good to go. I also think the hotter the oven the better, so I would go 16" screen at 550 degrees. You could always hit the broiler if you think the bottom is cooking faster than the top. Just keep your eye on it.
-Jay

Offline mzimm

« Reply #103 on: May 23, 2011, 03:11:37 PM »
Thanks for the input Jay!

I will go for the 550° and see what happens.  Even at the higher 550° temp on a screen only I should use the lowest oven rack?

If it turns out I will post some pics.  I'm a bit concerned because the dough mixing process was way too easy  :)

Offline mzimm

« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2011, 02:06:26 PM »
Last nights pie turned out just OK.  Crust was very good but soggy in the center (lots of sauce).

Nice flavor using the honey (never have tried using honey in the dough before).

I baked it on lowest rack, on a screen at 550° for 4 min, turned and 4 min.  At this point the crust was as dark as I wanted to go. Then it was finished under the broiler for 2 minutes to brown the top cheese.

Any thoughts about a 2 minute initial par-bake before sauce or maybe trying a middle rack position for baking?  I'm thinking this may help reduce the soft and soggy texture in the center.

Thanks

Mike

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #105 on: May 25, 2011, 05:39:57 PM »
I'd recommend getting a decent stone and for-go  the screen altogether. Par-baking a skin can be dicey at best, and probably yield less than optimum results. A good stone at 550 will work very well probably 99% of the time.

Offline jever4321

« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2011, 07:22:24 PM »
I wouldn't par-bake, I would just use less sauce next time. When I try to stretch out my sauce and cheese when I'm baking a bunch of pies for company, I noticed that I was getting crispier crust, and easier to fold and eat slices. So I would suggest for you to try a light hand when topping your next pizza and see how that works out for you. :pizza:
-Jay

Offline lennyk

« Reply #107 on: June 11, 2011, 10:56:24 AM »
I just attempted to mix a 1/2 portion of this using all purpose flour.

However it was rather wet, dough was sticking a lot to the KA bowl sides.
I had to add about 6 teaspoons of flour along the way.

Does AP require less water than HG ?

Offline scott123

« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2011, 12:58:06 PM »
Does AP require less water than HG ?

A flour's protein level dictates the amount of water it can absorb. More protein (gluten) = higher absorption value = more water absorbed.

Offline steampie

• mmm.....pizza
« Reply #109 on: June 15, 2011, 08:06:58 AM »
I had a go at this recipe last week, was mostly pleased with the results.

I used Waitrose Canadian Very Strong White Flour (anyone know of any KASL-equivalents in the UK, or is this one fairly close?), IDY and sugar instead of flour.  Everything else was exactly as the method described.

This dough was insane, despite being in the bottom/back of the fridge.  A monster that kept on growing - I gave it a few punchdowns over the days, as I made it early Saturday and then baked the pizzas Monday eve.  When I split it up Monday morning the balls were about 360g each (I forgot to write down the exact weights, which I usually do).

Anyhow, about 2.5 hours on the counter, and I heated my oven/stone for about 1.5 hours.  I can't imagine it was much above 550 degrees in the oven.  The dough was a mass of bubbles; it stretched fairly well, but still pulled back on itself quite a bit.  It was a chore to get it near to 12".

And for some reason, regardless of my dough formulations (I have been experimenting w/ Lehmann variations for the most part), I am never able to bake the pizza in one go.  This was no exception.  About 7 minutes of just dough + a bit of sauce, essentially to keep the dough in check, and then a little more sauce and some cheese (the dried mozz options are very limited; this was Waitrose shredded mozz).  6-7 more minutes, rotating the dough a couple of times as the temp varies wildly from L--R in my oven, and out it came.

As you can see, it was a grower all right, the crust being massive, but the wife and I were quite pleased with the results.  The ingredients plus 2.5 days in the fridge gave it a very robust, yeasty, but not overpowering taste.  I was on my own the next night, and I ended up shaping it quickly, throwing it on the stone and making a loaf of bread.  It was a fantastic base for my tuna @ work the next day.

Anyhow, experimenting again this week, will see how it goes.

sam

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #110 on: June 15, 2011, 12:45:09 PM »
Nice work Sam
If you really liked that one, you should try the Reinhart hybrid....it's even easier, and I believe you will be rewarded with your efforts.
John

Offline steampie

• mmm.....pizza
« Reply #111 on: June 16, 2011, 03:35:17 AM »
Thanks very much John -- sorry but which is the hybrid recipe?  I've been using the standard one linked to in the original post:

http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-­‐written-­‐recipes/169-­‐ny-­‐ style-­‐pizza-­‐dough.html   

cheers

Sam
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 08:16:18 AM by steampie »

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #112 on: June 16, 2011, 11:19:08 AM »
Sorry Sam
I did a whole bunch of experiments with the classic dough and the New York style dough, and was wondering what would happen if I kind of combined the two.  With a little experimentation and a few tweeks, another pizza kind of evolved which is absolutely simple to make...but more than that..it is great to eat.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13697.0.html

John

Offline steampie

• mmm.....pizza
« Reply #113 on: June 16, 2011, 12:31:26 PM »
Wow those look absolutely amazing!  I am definitely giving that recipe a go this weekend....

Thanks again

sam

Offline Tman1

« Reply #114 on: June 16, 2011, 10:20:24 PM »
How do you think this recipe would do in a WFO? I'll be visiting my relatives in California for a wedding and a "WFO Pizza Throw-down' has been issued.  I did also just realize that I probably won't have a scale to measure weights.....  :-[

I like the idea of a multi-day ferment which I have yet to try.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2011, 01:10:43 AM »
I'm sorry I can't answer that question with any intelligence, cuz I haven't a clue...but, I'd love to try!!

John

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #116 on: June 17, 2011, 07:43:45 AM »
How do you think this recipe would do in a WFO? I'll be visiting my relatives in California for a wedding and a "WFO Pizza Throw-down' has been issued.

Tman1,

At about 4.5% honey, I think you may have a problem with the dough in a WFO. But you might give it a try. To be on the safe side, you might keep a few pizza screens on the side to slip under the pizzas in case you need them to keep the bottom crusts from burning or overbrowning.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 08:55:54 AM by Pete-zza »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #117 on: June 17, 2011, 09:47:37 AM »
How do you think this recipe would do in a WFO? I'll be visiting my relatives in California for a wedding and a "WFO Pizza Throw-down' has been issued.  I did also just realize that I probably won't have a scale to measure weights.....  :-[

I like the idea of a multi-day ferment which I have yet to try.

Tman1,

This isn’t John’s formula for pies baked in a WFO, but Reinhart doughs, I did bake in Steve’s WFO at Reply 20 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13037.msg127555.html#msg127555 and the pictures of the bake in a WFO at Reply 9 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13037.msg127491.html#msg127491 Those two doughs were made with less honey and they baked well in Steve’s WFO, without a screen.  Peter is right you might need to keep a screen handy, if using more honey in the formula.

Norma
« Last Edit: June 17, 2011, 09:50:34 AM by norma427 »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline lennyk

« Reply #118 on: June 19, 2011, 07:23:09 PM »
hey folks,

any particular purpose of the honey in this recipe ?
can sugar be substituted ?

L

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #119 on: June 19, 2011, 08:03:29 PM »
any particular purpose of the honey in this recipe ?
can sugar be substituted ?

L,

According to the original recipe (now at http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/169-ny-style-pizza-dough.html), the answer is yes as to using sugar instead of honey. Honey improves the rheology (flow characteristics) of the dough, it contains simple sugars (glucose and fructose) that are more readily available than sugar (which has to be converted to simple sugars), it has enzymes that help convert complex sugars to simple sugars, and it adds a bit more color to the finished crust. Some people use honey simply because they prefer its taste over sugar. You can read more about the benefits of honey in a series of PMQ Think Tank posts starting at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewtopic.php?p=26883#p26949.

Peter