Author Topic: Reinhart New York Style Pizza Dough..........very easy!!!  (Read 36476 times)

Offline Tman1

Re: Reinhart New York Style Pizza Dough..........very easy!!!
« Reply #120 on: June 20, 2011, 02:01:09 AM »
Tman1,

This isn’t John’s formula for pies baked in a WFO, but Reinhart doughs, I did bake in Steve’s WFO at Reply 20 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13037.msg127555.html#msg127555 and the pictures of the bake in a WFO at Reply 9 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13037.msg127491.html#msg127491 Those two doughs were made with less honey and they baked well in Steve’s WFO, without a screen.  Peter is right you might need to keep a screen handy, if using more honey in the formula.

Norma

Thanks Norma. I have been using the standard Reinhart doughs and had really good luck, however I've been interested to try a multi day ferment.  I won't have access to screens or a scale since I'm on vacation and they aren't too this level of seriousness. I have found out I'm up against the Mugnaini basic dough which is about 45% (quick guess) hydration.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #121 on: June 20, 2011, 07:38:40 AM »
Thanks Norma. I have been using the standard Reinhart doughs and had really good luck, however I've been interested to try a multi day ferment.  I won't have access to screens or a scale since I'm on vacation and they aren't too this level of seriousness. I have found out I'm up against the Mugnaini basic dough which is about 45% (quick guess) hydration.

Tman1,

I am not good at figuring out how to convert a formula from weight to volume since you won’t have a scale to use, but John’s new hybrid Reinhart formula works well and is easy to make at Reply 27 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13697.msg140122.html#msg140122

I have only used that formula in my deck oven though, and don’t know how it would bake in a WFO.  John’s hybrid Reinhart can go many days with a cold ferment with one reball.  When I was baking in my BBQ set-up, and my bottoms wanted to darken too fast, I used any kind of pan turned upside down to place my pies on, for the rest of the bake.  I don’t know, but would think you could even use a regular pizza pan (the kind you put a pie on, to slice) so the bottom wouldn’t get too dark if you use your standard Reinhart doughs or try another.

I think any Reinhart dough formula would beat a 45% hydration dough in a “WFO Pizza throw-down.”  ;D

Best of luck!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #122 on: June 20, 2011, 08:05:46 AM »
Tman1,

To add to my last post, after thinking about it, maybe you could make “goody bags” of flour, IDY, and salt, and place those ingredients in plastic bags at home, weigh the water (for whatever Reinhart formula you want to use), and put the water into a measuring container to see how much water you normally use for your formula, then use the olive oil and honey by the teaspoons or tablespoons.  Most formulas would only need the flour and water measured by the weight. I don’t know how this might work, but maybe you could test a method like this at home first.

Norma

Offline Tman1

« Reply #123 on: June 20, 2011, 10:07:18 AM »
Norma,

That's a great idea of making 'goody bags'. Unfortunately I've already left home.  :o

I'll take a look at the other recipe and/or may just figure it out measurement wise. (most people that I tell that i weigh everything just look at me in disbelief anyways) I'll be able to get close enough.... just have to pull out my old math skills to determine it.

Thanks again.
Terry

Offline lennyk

« Reply #124 on: June 23, 2011, 07:45:02 PM »
did a few more pies today with my recent oven build.
getting better at handling the dough and happy with this recipe.

Offline lennyk

« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2011, 10:07:22 PM »
baked 2 7day old balls today in the oven
scored too shallow
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 10:10:44 PM by lennyk »

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #126 on: July 01, 2011, 08:10:36 AM »
I've used goody bags for bread though not pizza, at least so far.  My shortcut is to scale the recipe to use exactly a single bottle of water so no measurement is required.  There are lots of options since bottles are available in 12oz, 1/2 liter, 20 oz, 24oz..... 

Sugar rather than honey would make it even easier.

Just out of curiosity, what would happen if you added the olive oil to the goody bag?  Does flour absorb oil and guarantee uneven absorption of water when the time comes?  I'm pretty sure that some salt or suger in oil would just float around (or settle out) indefinitely.  Maybe I'll put a TBS of flour and a drop of oil in a bag, add a little water 24 hours later and see what happens.  It's exactly the reverse of my usual process since I always add oil last, usually directly to the spinning mixer.

It's also great for pancakes since at breakfast time I'm not too interested in measuring.  Write the other ingredients with a sharpie on a ziploc and it makes things a little easier.  Works great since I use buttermilk powder and don't have to worry about having any in the fridge.  I make 2 or 3 bags at once.
Always make new mistakes.

Offline lennyk

« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »
made a couple today

Offline kross

« Reply #128 on: July 15, 2011, 09:46:27 PM »
To add to my last post, after thinking about it, maybe you could make “goody bags” of flour, IDY, and salt, and place those ingredients in plastic bags at home

Yeah, I'm sure airport security will think nothing of plastic ziplock bags full of white powder.   :P

Wouldn't it be easier to just bring a scale?

-- Kevin

Offline Danes Dad

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizza!
« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2011, 03:55:41 PM »
Norma,

Below mentions that you think the Reinhart pizza (presume from the pizza quest site) is better than the Reinhart classic pizza (presume from page 114 in American Pie).  Can you explain what the difference is between the two recipes?

Also, I seem both you and John are reballing abt 6hrs before bringing out ball.  What do you think the difference would be if you did not reball and just left in fridge until ready to bring to room temp prior baking?

Thanks. 

John,

Thanks for saying you liked the Reinhart NY pizza.  I have made Lehmann doughs many times and so has Steve.  Both of us agreed that the Reinhart pizza was better than the Reinhart classic pizza.  I am getting so caught up in these Reinhart doughs and am interested where it will take me.  Who knows.  ::) This pizza today browned better than any of my Lehmann doughs in my deck oven.  

Norma

Bill,

Thanks from me.  :) This dough is really easy and the final pizza had a great taste.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2011, 04:39:47 PM »
Norma,

Below mentions that you think the Reinhart pizza (presume from the pizza quest site) is better than the Reinhart classic pizza (presume from page 114 in American Pie).  Can you explain what the difference is between the two recipes?

Also, I seem both you and John are reballing abt 6hrs before bringing out ball.  What do you think the difference would be if you did not reball and just left in fridge until ready to bring to room temp prior baking?

Thanks.  

Danes Dad,

I tried Reinhart’s classic dough on the thread at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13037.msg127398.html
Using the paddle attachment on my Kitchen Aid mixer   These are the instructions I used at http://www.fornobravo.com/pizzaquest/instructionals/59-written-recipes/92-classic-pizza-dough-neo-neapolitan-style.html
I used the formula I posted at Reply 20 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13037.msg127555.html#msg127555

As you can see, those first pizzas were made in a WFO.

The second time I made the Reinhart classic dough was in my home oven at Reply 74 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13037.msg128241.html#msg128241

I also tired a modified Reinhart dough at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13347.0.html

I also tried John’s hybrid Reinhart dough at Reply 44 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13697.msg142155.html#msg142155

I also tried John’s Reinhart dough for market at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,14368.0.html

I don’t have the book American Pie, so I don’t think I have tried out that formula.  John is the expert on all the Reinhart doughs. He has experimented with many Reinhart doughs, and can probably answer your questions better than I can.  All the Reinhart doughs for me needed a reball or some stretch and folds for them to become workable.  The doughs are higher hydration doughs with varying amounts and honey and a good amount of oil.  

Maybe John can answer your questions better.   John just experimented with another Reinhart dough with a lower hydration and had great results.  If you are interested that thread is at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,15563.0.html

Norma

« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 04:42:00 PM by norma427 »

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #131 on: May 17, 2012, 01:20:41 PM »
I just made this dough and forgot to include the olive oil. Should I toss it or will it be OK? What difference should I expect?
Things have never been more like today than they are right now.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #132 on: May 17, 2012, 03:40:19 PM »
I just made this dough and forgot to include the olive oil. Should I toss it or will it be OK? What difference should I expect?

Keep it!!!  Can't tell you what the exact differences will be...but you might have a goldmine of a brand new recipe!

John

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #133 on: May 17, 2012, 04:12:57 PM »
Many great things are a result of "happy accidents". I'll give it a go.

Offline jsaras

• Supporting Member
« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2012, 04:32:21 PM »
I cooked the dough after laying it down for 24 hours (no oil in the dough) at 550 for about 10 minutes on my Lodge cast iron pizza pan.  The dough did not stretch very easily so I ultimately had to use a pastry roller to get it to fill the 14-in pan.  It was slightly overcooked, but it was a pretty good "accidental" cracker crust! 

Offline jason83

« Reply #135 on: May 19, 2012, 02:26:34 AM »
These are 2 pies I made with Reinhart's Neo-Neopolitan recipe from his American Pie book.  I used Gold Medal's Better for Bread Flour for the 1st one and the 2nd is KA bread flour.  Both are about a 24 hr cold ferment and were taken out 2 hours before the bake.  Baked in a conventional at 550F for about 7 mins.  I'm going to try his NY Style dough soon once I get some high gluten flour.  I'll also take some better pictures including the crust.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #136 on: May 20, 2012, 01:31:35 PM »
Sure looks nice from the top side!!

John

Offline KieranC

« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2012, 12:07:29 PM »
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to post a couple of pictures of pies I've made with this dough. I'm a novice home pizza maker working with a conventional oven and pizza stone. I selected this dough when I started because it represented the sort of pizza I wanted to make and it looked well suited to a conventional oven. I've taken quite a bit of time to get comfortable since I had no real dough/breadmaking experience before this, but I was always pretty happy with the results and I feel pretty comfortable with the technique now.

The only think I've changed is that I'm using a 255g/9oz ball for an aprox-12" pizza (probably usually a little smaller than that). I decided to aim for a lower TF of aprox 0.08. I'm happy with the results, I find the center of the pizza is cooked quicker and more to my taste.

For a long time, I was using a raw tomato sauce (just drained and crushed tinned tomato, some herbs and a little oil) but the last batch was with a well reduced cooked tomato sauce and I had some of the best pizzas yet. Again, the cooked sauce seemed to give a better and quicker cooked base.

I've tried this dough with a one and a two-day refrigeration. I definitely thought the two-day refrigeration gave an even better result, but I'm not usually that organized.

Re-reading the original recipe now, I note that I've been removing the dough much earlier from the fridge (4-5hrs before cooking) than the recipe calls for. This hasn't been a problem, possibly because of Ireland's mild climate. I'm actually gently re-balling about an hour before cooking to tighten the dough up a little and that is working just fine. Be interested in any comments on the effects my "mistake" though!

Without further ado, here are a couple of pictures from two separate batches. I crushed the rim slightly on the first, but the taste was great, the second two are prettier :)

Kieran

Offline kramer73

« Reply #138 on: July 10, 2012, 01:07:18 AM »
Thanks for the link!  I'll try not to let the fame go to my head. ;) ;D

I made a hybrid dough yesterday.  I will let it cold ferment for two days, which means, I'll be using the dough tomorrow evening.  Going to reball about 12 hours prior to baking, just like last time (it seemed to work well).  I'll post my results, along with some pics.  The dough recipe I used is below.  The only change I made to my Lehmann dough is that I increased the salt, IDY, and OO amounts just slightly, and added a little honey.  It is primarily with the honey and OO that I am trying to reach a middle ground between the Lehmann and PR doughs, since I believe those ingredients account for the biggest flavor/texture differences between those doughs.

16” Pizza
Flour (100%): 11.5 oz (11.25 oz KABF, .25 VWG)
Water (67%): 7.7 oz
IDY (.75%): .10 oz
Salt (1.75%): .20 oz
Olive Oil (4%): .45 oz
Honey (2.5%): .30 oz

Total dough weight: 20.25 oz

ok, I'm interested in making this, but I'm not sure about a couple of things (since I'm new to this kind of dough).

Do I add the flour, and then the water, yeast, salt, oil, and honey?  I would think it matters, but I'm not sure what to do.

Any help would be appreciated!!

parallei

« Reply #139 on: July 10, 2012, 01:20:31 AM »
ok, I'm interested in making this, but I'm not sure about a couple of things (since I'm new to this kind of dough).

Do I add the flour, and then the water, yeast, salt, oil, and honey?  I would think it matters, but I'm not sure what to do.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Read the 1st post in this thread.  The original poster tells you exactly what he did.

See here:
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13442.msg133211.html#msg133211

Have fun!

pizzapan