Author Topic: Feedback on "Take and Bake"  (Read 1138 times)

Offline dbrennan84

Feedback on "Take and Bake"
« on: March 31, 2011, 07:48:23 PM »
Thinking about adding a "Take and Bake" option to my menu. What are some pros and cons? What materials would I need to implement the idea?

Thank you

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
Re: Feedback on "Take and Bake"
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 08:10:01 PM »
it's a big step and could poorly affect your business.

Take and bake's are for people who do not want to spend a lot of money on pizza... and some, use food stamps (because it's not cooked)... so you will be attracting the coupon crowd.

Papa Murphy's is a huge competitor.  they buy cheap, and advertize often.

You may get "some" of their business.... but it could cause your customers to trade down on a product that they would have bought from you anyways at a higher profit.

if you think about it, the only different things are:  Toppings need to be fully cooked (no meat or fish can go out raw), your packaging is different but cost is about the same costs if not a little more...

The only thing missing is cooking it.... and how much does that cost? Your oven's are on already.

Your customer will expect a big discount... becuase they are cooking it.

there is a lot to weigh... but those are my experiences.

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 08:18:56 PM »
it's a big step and could poorly affect your business.

Take and bake's are for people who do not want to spend a lot of money on pizza... and some, use food stamps (because it's not cooked)... so you will be attracting the coupon crowd.

Papa Murphy's is a huge competitor.  they buy cheap, and advertize often.

You may get "some" of their business.... but it could cause your customers to trade down on a product that they would have bought from you anyways at a higher profit.

if you think about it, the only different things are:  Toppings need to be fully cooked (no meat or fish can go out raw), your packaging is different but cost is about the same costs if not a little more...

The only thing missing is cooking it.... and how much does that cost? Your oven's are on already.

Your customer will expect a big discount... becuase they are cooking it.

there is a lot to weigh... but those are my experiences.
Exactly. Personally, I think that's a rat hole, not a gold mine.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 08:39:37 PM »
Thinking about adding a "Take and Bake" option to my menu. What are some pros and cons? What materials would I need to implement the idea?

dbrennan,

I suggest that you register and pose your questions to the membership of the PMQ Think Tank at http://thinktank.pmq.com/viewforum.php?f=6. Tom Lehmann, of the American Institute of Baking, has written extensively on this subject and should be able to address the questions you raised. I researched the subject some time ago, mainly to learn the science and technical aspects of take-and-bake pizzas, and I made a few pizzas based on what I learned. If you do a forum search, using either the forum's Advanced search feature or the Google search feature, you should be able to find my posts on the subject. You will also find examples of take-and-bake (and bake-to-rise) dough formulations at the PMQ Recipe Bank at http://www.pmq.com/Recipe-Bank/?additionalinfo=Pizza+Dough&areaname=&searchcustomdata=. You can also search the PMQTT archives, using the different spelling versions of take-and-bake (with and without hyphens, for example, and also TnB and Take N Bake).

I wouldn't automatically rule out a take-and-bake option in your case, but only if it is an extension of a current pizza business. As a standalone business, take-and-bake can be a treacherous business, given that just about every major supermarket sells take-and-bake pizzas and at low price points. However, there are many pizza operators who have extended their current product line to include take-and-bake. It doesn't have to involve a new dough formulation or cannibalize regular sales. An existing pizza can be sold as take-and-bake without changing the current dough formulation. The added equipment is not extensive. It's mainly plastic shrink wrap equipment, Pactiv or equivalent take-and-bake trays (or a cardboard/parchment paper combination), and written baking instructions.

Peter
« Last Edit: January 25, 2013, 08:39:00 PM by Pete-zza »

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 12:12:59 AM »
Since you will almost certainly need to sell it at a lower price point - maybe much lower - than your dine-in pies, do you run any risk of lowering the value perception your bread-and-butter products?

It's also difficult to imagine that they would be as good as your dine-in product coming pout of a home oven where you have no ability to QC. Could that too bleed over into the perception of quality of your brand?

On the plus side, at least you are not subject to the same FDA labeling requirements as supermarkets (please consult a professional and don't take my word on that).

Craig
Pizza is not bread.