Author Topic: April 2011 Monthly Challenge: "Easter"  (Read 8129 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: April 2011 Monthly Challenge: "Easter"
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2011, 09:42:36 AM »
Very good (and smart)

DKM,

Thanks for your kind words.  If anyone in interested I did post how to make the Nutella Pie with pictures at Reply 813 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9908.msg134137.html#msg134137 Those pictures were from a fresh Nutella Pie, not one that was stored in the refrigerator and almost got thrown out. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2011, 10:20:56 AM »
My entry has 2 elements from the challenge. Green for Spring - the sauce is a bunch of fresh jalapeño chiles, garlic, salt, sugar, & vinegar chopped into a course sauce in the food processor. If your taste buds are dead or dormant, this zesty, powerful sauce will bring them back to life. Booyah!

Bill.... this looks AMAZING!!!!!  what kind of cheese do you recommend?

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2011, 10:23:01 AM »
Baby artichokes, roasted in the WFO. Fantastic.

John

Hey John,

When you say roasted artichokes.... did you roast them in a pan in the WFO first?  or stick the whole artichoke on the coals?

also... do you eat this pizza with the lemon on the pie?  It looks really really good.  nice job.  VERY SPRINGLIKE!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2011, 01:52:33 PM »
Hey John,

When you say roasted artichokes.... did you roast them in a pan in the WFO first?  or stick the whole artichoke on the coals?

also... do you eat this pizza with the lemon on the pie?  It looks really really good.  nice job.  VERY SPRINGLIKE!

Thank you Frankie - yes, they were put on top of some coals pulled out to the front of the oven. And the lemon was indeed eaten. They are Meyer lemons and add a nice brightness that is very appealing. You need to slice them super thin.

John

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2011, 01:57:18 PM »
What a wonderful cozy idea.  ....   I LOVE IT!  Thank you.

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: April 23, 2011, 04:34:02 PM »
Growing up, I always thought everyone's mom made Easter pizza...I guess I lived around alot of Italians...because they all seemed to know what it was.  Anyway, I have looked around on the web and found lots and lots of variations of what is called an Easter Pizza..but I wanted to share a version of what I grew up with.  This one was made this morning by my niece Sophia...very simply it is a pie crust stuffed with eggs, pasta, ham and various cheeses.  Although it is great warm, I feel it is excellent cold.
John

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #26 on: April 23, 2011, 05:23:10 PM »
John tell your niece Sophia to shut the front door.  That has got to be the best Easter pie ever.  Thanks for sharing. :chef:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2011, 05:30:13 PM »
John,

It looks like cooking skills and talent run in the family, or maybe is in your DNAs  ;D.

Peter

buceriasdon

« Reply #28 on: April 23, 2011, 06:00:47 PM »
John, Thanks for sharing. I can see how the family would love the dish. I found a recipe online that I thought looked good for me as a starting out point for a Pizzagaina in a mini size. John, is the pronuciation Pizza Chena also correct? There seems to be different spellings according to region.
Don
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 06:09:00 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline fazzari

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2011, 02:35:45 AM »
Thanks all, as delicious as the food is...it's the passing down of traditions that we feel is important, because if they are ever lost, they will be gone forever.  Don, I'm sorry I don't know what this is called in Italian, I'm driving to my Mom's for Easter and shall ask her and Dad if they know.

John

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2011, 12:20:19 PM »
Baby artichokes, roasted in the WFO. Fantastic.

John

hey John... thanks for the motivation and your wonderful idea.  It was Delish.

Truly a wonderful pie.

Frankie G

I tried to get a bigger picture like yours... I matched your size on the pic... but this is the only size I was allowed to post.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2011, 04:34:52 AM »
I don’t know if these would be called a pizza, but I made what I called “pizza cookies” for my great-granddaughter for Easter dessert, when she came for dinner yesterday.  I baked the cookies and while they were still warm, pressed an edge like a pizza.  Then I added edible Easter basket grass, that was blueberry flavored.  Also on the picture of the Easter bunny pizza, there were 3 edible bunnies that came with the edible grass.  If these “ bunny rabbit pizza cookies”, can be called a pizza, they would be the smallest pizzas I have made.

Norma

Offline tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2011, 08:10:25 AM »
Your granddaughter must have been very happy.  That's really inventive and artistic. 

Regards,

Tin Roof

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2011, 09:03:13 AM »
Your granddaughter must have been very happy.  That's really inventive and artistic.  

Regards,

Tin Roof

Tin Roof,

Thanks for saying the Easter pizza cookie was inventive and artistic, but I bought the bunny cookies at Walmart. They were one of Pillsbury’s Holiday cookies. http://www.pillsbury.com/Products/Cookies/Holiday All I had to do was place the already made cookies on a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes, then shape the rim of the Easter pizza cookie while it was hot, just out of the oven. I already was baking other foods in the oven, so this worked out good.  I thought the edible Easter grass was interesting, because I had never seen it before and I always hated the mess of regular plastic grass in an Easter Basket.   http://christiandollarstore.com/edeagr.html  The edible grass with the little bunny rabbits came in different flavors.  The edible grass tasted like a lite wafer.  It was very light, tasty, and melted in your mouth.  At least there was no mess with the edible Easter grass.   :-D

This Easter pizza cookie only took me about 20 minutes to bake, cool, and put the edible Easter grass on.  It was a quick way to treat my great-granddaughter.  Since she is only 15 months old, she likes any kind of a cookie.  I usually make homemade cookies, but these cookies were tasty, in my opinion.They were sugar cookies.

Norma
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:07:59 AM by norma427 »

pizzapan