Author Topic: Tomato seeds  (Read 2222 times)

Offline PizzaBrewer

• Supporting Member
  • Location: Relocating my brewpub/pizzeria within NE Pennsylvania...
  • Seasoned pro Brewer, intermediate pro Pizzamaker
Tomato seeds
« on: May 12, 2005, 10:14:42 AM »
What's the advantage to removing seeds before making a sauce?  Is there an easy way to do it?  The few times I've tried it it's slow and messy, and I didn't notice a difference in the flavor of the sauce.

Thanks!

---Guy
Man does not live by bread alone.  There's also tomato, cheese and pepperoni.

Offline abatardi

• It's MOOPS!
Re: Tomato seeds
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2005, 05:32:11 PM »
They add bitterness to the sauce.  A lot of people say remove them.  It is a bit of a pain though.  I have gone through the process of removing every single seed from the can before and I don't think it was worth all the extra time and effort to do that. :) just try and get most of them out.  I usually just cut the tops off the tomato and slice them down the side and slide the seeds out with my thumb.  That will get rid of the majority of them quickly. 

- Aaron
Make me a bicycle CLOWN!

Offline Randy

• Supporting Member
  • Pizza, a great Lycopene source
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2005, 06:10:38 PM »

Offline Nathan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2005, 10:00:02 PM »
When I first got 6in1's I used my food mill to strain the seeds and skin out.  They're pretty easy to use.  I've got 2 of them.  They look like the same ones as in the link above.  I don't bother doing it any more though.  I just use them straight from the can now.
"Pizza with pineapples?  That's a cake."

Offline duckjob

• Supporting Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2005, 03:09:25 AM »
If you can tomatoes you have one of these.
http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=361&itemType=PRODUCT&RS=1&keyword=food+mill
Randy

I may have to pick one of those up. I havn't noticed many seeds in the 6 in 1's that I have. The whole plum DOP San Marzanos that I use do have seeds, but I cut the top of the tomato and pull out the center and that seems to get rid of most of the seeds. Some seeds do make it into my sauce but I dont notice them in my sauce.