Author Topic: Baking powder  (Read 5644 times)

Offline Chet

Baking powder
« on: April 01, 2011, 07:53:40 PM »

Going to try my hand a Sicilian pizza's now, will take a break for awhile from Neoplitan pizza's, I have been reading around the web on Sicilian type dough's I did a search on Victory Pig recipes, I noticed one was using some baking powder, any reason for this, any what effects will it have on the dough or baking.

Chet

buceriasdon

Re: Baking powder
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2011, 08:21:23 PM »
I experimented quite a bit with baking powder in pizza dough, quite frankly I didn't care for the taste. It may be fast, such as right now, no need to allow the dough to rise, but to me that's it's only selling point. Great for bisquits, but for pizza, I'll pass. For a Sicilian I just don't see it.
Don

Offline Chet

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2011, 09:02:20 PM »
I experimented quite a bit with baking powder in pizza dough, quite frankly I didn't care for the taste. It may be fast, such as right now, no need to allow the dough to rise, but to me that's it's only selling point. Great for bisquits, but for pizza, I'll pass. For a Sicilian I just don't see it.
Don

HI DON

I should have made it clearer, the recipe does call for regular yeast too, the baking powder was just a small amount, here is the link to the recipe, was wondering if anyone has tried it.
http://www.recipelink.com/mf/14/34756

Chet

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 09:18:41 PM »
Ah Chet you scamp you :P Might be interesting. No, I haven't tried that, so I'm going to let you make it and tell us what you think about the recipe. I still wouldn't call it Sicilian. :D
Don

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 09:42:54 PM »
I have heard about this being done at a good NY style pizzeria (yeast and baking powder together).   Do us a huge favor try it with and without and report you findings.   thanks!   

parallei

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 11:03:39 PM »
I make a fairly hydrated "English Muffin" quick bread that uses both IDY and baking powder (easy and great toast).  At one time, I considered trying a bit of baking powder in a Pizzarium dough.  I gave this some thought based on the theory that if air incorporated into the dough provides sites for CO2 bubbles to form, why not give it a helping hand with baking powder?  Never did try it though.

I find the taste of baking powder much less noticeable than the taste of baking soda....

Offline Chet

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 06:41:31 PM »
   I tried this recipe http://www.recipelink.com/mf/14/34756, it is the one I was asking about baking powder, I did not add the last 2 ingredients the garlic & onion powder, I used my bread machine to do the work, I added the warm water. yeast, flour. salt & baking powder, put it in the dough cycle knead about 8 minutes, put dough in oiled bowl for an hour, put the dough in a round black steel pan & shaped it., cover for 10 min put down one layer of thin sliced mozzarella over the top of the dough, spread pizza sauce, & cover with grated Romano cheese, drizzle with good olive oil lightly, convection bake at 370 deg until the rim of the pizza is nice & brown. around 20-25 min, spring was excellent. I made this dough 2 hrs before it went into the oven, I also made another dough yesterday. it was a different recipe no baking powder took it out of the fridge 3 hrs before it went in the oven. did not take any pics, but in conclusion 2 people who were guest said along with my wife that the dough with the baking powder made a few hrs before it hit the oven, was excellent, the 24 hr dough had nowhere near the flavor. it did brown nice but the texture was not there, and oven spring was ok, not excellent. so for now I am going to hang out making Sicilian types for awhile before I go back to Neo pies, also my sauce was a can of Tutteroso peeled plum tomatoes, I hit them with a stick blender added some sea salt, pepper, & Oregano. let it set in the fridge overnight, wonderful flavor. so I have to say for all who have never tried this recipe using baking powder, the taste is excellent. hard to believe the flavor & texture for a 3 hr dough. let me know if anyone tries it and gets the same results.

Chet
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 06:43:14 PM by Chet »

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 07:22:00 PM »
Chet, I will try the recipe you posted but I'll use the food processor and add the other deleted ingredients as per the directions. Thank you for the link. It appears to be a high hydration recipe, in fact crunching some numbers it comes out to be close to 88% hydration. Yikes! Chet did you use 2 cups flour to 1 cup plus water?
Don
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 08:03:58 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline Chet

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2011, 10:47:59 PM »
  DON

I made this dough twice, I made it yesterday for my brother and it was sticking to my hands when I pulled it from the bread machine pan. but when I made it today I was ready with some oil on my fingers and no problem. yes I used 1 full cup or warm water, there is something about this dough when you shape it and cover it for about 10 minutes, even my wife says it looks different, it is so light & fluffy. surprisingly good. especially for no sugar or oil in the recipe. I can't wait to make it again. and yes it seems to be of a high hydration. the pie was picture perfect, I was watching some videos on youtube, and that is where I got the idea of a light layer of slices of mozzeralla cheese, the sauce does not penetrate the dough. keep in mind I forgot to mention. I used this batch of dough for a 14" round black pizza pan, it was around 1/2" thick or better.

good luck
         Chet

PS DON by the way if you read the link for the recipe, the person quoted at the bottom of the recipe where to get the cheese, I live about 1/2 mile from there, that is where I get my flour.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 10:53:37 PM by Chet »

Offline matermark

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2012, 08:24:53 PM »
I think this recipe with baking powder was interpreted from another recipe that was much larger proportions--it called for FIFTY POUNDS of Gold Medal SELF-RISING flour, 25lbs of water, 3/4 POUNDS of salt, and 1.25lbs of Fleishman's yeast (cake type.)

Each 12x18 sheet used 1.75 CUPS of peanut oil and 2 pounds of dough.

The sauce called for 1 GALLON of Contadina Whole Peeled Tomatoes, (crushed), 1 GALLON of Contadina Tomato Paste, and 3/4 GALLON of water.

The recipe uses Bermuda onions and Wisconsin White Cheddar.

Self Rising flour has Baking Powder + salt in it already.