Author Topic: The No. 1 Pizza in NYC  (Read 1784 times)

Offline BTB

The No. 1 Pizza in NYC
« on: April 02, 2011, 10:37:20 AM »
The No. 1 Pizza in NYC

is . . . . Uno's Chicago Grill ! ! !   ((#%@&!!!!!!!))

http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2011/04/no-1-best-pizza-in-nyc.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+feedmeaslice+%28Slice%29

Not my opinion.  I, too, tire of the Neapolitan style pizza that has been so widely and overly written about, but this just shows the value of these articles, opinions, etc. on all these various blogs and websites.

--BTB               :-D

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
Re: The No. 1 Pizza in NYC
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 10:41:58 AM »
BTB, did you check the calendar ???
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline BTB

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 11:05:19 AM »
I and some of the comments from others wondered about that, but it doesn't seem to be the author's intention.  Peculiarly, tho, I remember about 30 years ago when I was in New York that the NY Times or another NY newspaper's Sunday magazine was featuring a poll of the "Best Pizza in NY." 

To make a long story short, the winner of the "Best Pizza in NY" back then was the original Uno's Pizzeria from Chicago (not Uno's Chgo Grill which wasn't in existence back then).  So many thought it was terrible to give the award to a Chicago pizza place instead of a home grown place.  So another poll was quickly processed and -- as best I can remember -- a place called "Goldbergs" in the Village was the winner and I actually went there for a deep dish pizza then.  It wasn't bad, but it was more like a Pizza Hut or sicilian crust deep dish pizza. 

If I'm ever back in NY, I have a long list of some of the great thin crust pizza places to visit, however, and will stay far, far away from Uno's Chicago Grill.

--BTB           :'(

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive at Five Post - food, fitness, technology, politics...
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 10:46:50 AM »
In any other city than New York or Chicago could I honestly see Uno's winning that award. For the rest of us, great pizza is much harder to come by. You can't just walk down the street, see a tasty-looking pie in the window, order a slice, and be pleasantly surprised.

Even in Minneapolis / St. Paul, though we have some great pizza joints around town, I have yet to find a deep dish that was as satisfying as Pizzeria Uno's, when it still existed. (Any fellow MSPers out there have some suggestions for me? I haven't edible deep dish in, perhaps, five years... and yes I'm deperate!)

And to all you Chicagoans and New Yorkers out there, you are SPOILED! Great pizza on every-other corner. Even the terrible pizza is delicious...!

-Clive

Offline dmcavanagh

• In Memoriam
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 06:15:50 PM »
It was an April Fool's Joke! Get with the program.
Rest In Peace - November 1, 2014

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 06:19:46 PM »
 :-D
-Bill

PaulsPizza

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 06:27:24 PM »
On April 1st I refuse to hear/listen/look at any news...... that first picture of the article was all I needed to look away.. lol
I might fake my own death next April 1st :-\ ......Uk guy was buried under 3tonnes of perfectly fermented pizza dough...

Offline Clive At Five

• I <3 pizza
    • Clive at Five Post - food, fitness, technology, politics...
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2011, 01:25:35 PM »
It was an April Fool's Joke! Get with the program.

I guess I don't get your guys' humor...  ::)

-Clive