Author Topic: A magical thing happened tonight...  (Read 1515 times)

Paul

A magical thing happened tonight...
« on: May 12, 2005, 10:17:28 PM »
I have been making pizzas for about a year now.   As often as I have tried, I have never been able to toss a pizza.  I have always resorted to using a roller.  But tonight, and I don't know why, I started stretching and turning the dough and before I knew it I was tossing it and turning it and stretching it all at the same time.   And then I had this perfect dough form and I laid it on the pizza pan and it made a great pizza.  I had always had it tear in the past...but tonight it stretched thin without tearing and I felt like magic had happened.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: A magical thing happened tonight...
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2005, 02:00:04 AM »
Paul, there is nothing like one of these pizza moments.  You will get better and better at the stretch the more you practice.  I still don't have the b***s  to toss the dough into the air myself.  I guess that is the next step.

I also had a magic moment tonight.  I got a new oven for the apartment today.  It was the cheapest self cleaning oven I could find, and boy did I luck out.  I was able to fool it into letting me open the door during the self cleaning cycle.  The cool thing is that for the first part of the self cleaning cycle the oven uses the broiler element to heat, so I didn't even have to fuss with foil etc. to get the top and bottom to cook evenly.  I cooked five pizzas in two minutes or less each, and only ended up burning one of them.

If anyone is interested in a new oven you should check out the bottom of the line maytag self cleaning range.  It was only $335 and seems like it was designed for pizza!!!!!!!

The only problem is that after a while it starts alternating between the top and bottom heating elements, but by that time you have had a chance to make a bunch of pies.  Once the top and bottom start to alternate the bottom of the pizza cooks too fast, but Jeff V has some good tips on his website about how to get around this problem.

Offline varasano

• Seeking perfection
Re: A magical thing happened tonight...
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2005, 11:35:29 PM »
very cool. Great to know.