Author Topic: Review: Central Milling Type 00 "Normal" Flour  (Read 6678 times)

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
Re: Review: Central Milling Type 00 "Normal" Flour
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2012, 12:21:13 AM »
 john, beautiful pizzas!! i like your evaluation that it tastes like american flour. i have often thought that the caputo just has a different taste. i think i will stick to the bay state organic bread when i change up my crust. i think it is really close in its absorption to caputo.
  oh those were all cooked in your p70 yes!!! if so that is the little oven that could!

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2012, 07:59:59 AM »
These pies look awesome.. I just ordered a bag through a local wholesaler for $36!

What a steal! Let us know how it works for you.

John

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2012, 08:02:25 AM »
john, beautiful pizzas!! i like your evaluation that it tastes like american flour. i have often thought that the caputo just has a different taste. i think i will stick to the bay state organic bread when i change up my crust. i think it is really close in its absorption to caputo.
  oh those were all cooked in your p70 yes!!! if so that is the little oven that could!

Thanks Larry. I have a bag of the Bay State Contadino 00 coming in and hope to do a review here. I had a small test bag a few months back and it performed much more in line with Caputo than the CM 00. Nicky Giusto made it clear that the CM is not a clone - it is meant to perform the same in some ways, but not be a direct clone of Caputo. The Contadino however is aiming to be a clone.

John

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2013, 11:02:03 PM »
Just baked half a dozen pies in my LBE using the central milling 00.. Used 64% hydration, 3% starter, 2.7% salt. RT bulk ferment for 20 hours, balled RT for 5. 2:15 bake time at 700° deck. Skins opened up great, great flavor and oven spring. I'm sold. Not exactly a Caputo clone, but a delicious and domestic high heat pizza option. Here's a pic of a pie that had cooled down. Rega San Marzano's and Grande muzz pulled from curd.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 11:17:33 PM by R2-Bayou »
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline R2-Bayou

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2013, 11:18:03 PM »
Pic
"Wretched excess is just barely enough."

Offline robcurtis2

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2013, 01:06:44 AM »
Nice R2!  You can see where if the dough were a little bit more even on the form/stretch, it would have perfect brown bubbles.   There are some areas in the crust that are almost perfect.....I bet these tasted delish.  :chef:  We continue our search. 
Cheers fer now,
RC
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 01:11:50 AM by robcurtis2 »

pizzapan