Author Topic: Last of the Mohicans  (Read 4184 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Last of the Mohicans
« on: April 03, 2011, 08:55:29 PM »
With the WFO to (hopefully) come on-line shortly, today I made what was probably the last batch of pies to come from my BBQ (http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9614.0.html). In general, I'm very happy with the pies it turned out the past few years, notwithstanding, it also had its shortcomings. From now on, it is pretty much just my wife's grill as I've moved almost exclusively to my pit for grilling. It deserves a break. I've asked it to do much more than was ever intended for it, and it never let me down.

Recipe today:
KAAP            100.0%
Water            64.0% (I wish I used 63%, 64% is too much for KAAP, IMHO)
Salt                3.0%
Ischia culture   1.8%

I dissolved the salt in the water then added half the four and mixed slightly, then the yeast culture and mixed slightly again, then the rest of the flour. Mixed everything for about 3 or 4 minutes until basically smooth. I let it rest for 1.5 hours (I had to step out) then gave it a few folds and let it rise in bulk for 21 hours. Balled (260g) and let rise in Glad containers for 4 hours.

The oven ran 750F-800F, and bake times were right around 2:00

2 Margherita
1 Pepperoni
1 Mushroom, mozz, Grana, white truffle oil
1 Marinara with Calabrian chili oil and red pepper flakes
1 Zucchini, Texas goat cheese, lemon, olive oil, salt (thank you Andre for the Zucchini idea).

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Last of the Mohicans
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 08:56:33 PM »
A few more pics

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »
I'm on my way, Craig
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 09:07:55 PM »
Craig,

I would say your BBQ set-up did you well.  The pies you made look like they came out of a WFO.  :) 
Nice job!

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 09:21:55 PM »
Craig, your pies are always consistently beautiful.  Sad to see the last of them but looking forward to seeing the new pies soon.

Chau

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 09:28:52 PM »
Craig, nice work as usual.   Do you plan to change to an unmalted flour to help accomodate your new level of heat?  -marc

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 09:42:01 PM »
Offer up your best defense
But this is the end
This is the end of the innocence.

-Don Henley
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 09:45:05 PM »
Craig, nice work as usual.   Do you plan to change to an unmalted flour to help accomodate your new level of heat?  -marc

Though the first pie out of the new oven will be KAAP, I'm excited to try new flours. I need to start looking to see what is available. I know a couple places where I can get Caputo around here, but it is inconvenient and stupidly expensive.

The flavor of these pies was incredible and just a tender as can be. 800F seems to be the sweet spot for KAAP. I think you're right though. When I go to 900F for 90 second pies, I'm going to need unmalted flour. The second Margherita posted and the maranara were the last two cooked - when the oven was the hottest - around 850F. I don't think they look as good at the first four pies.

CL

Offline BrickStoneOven

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:55:20 PM »
Those pies look so good. Sorry if this sounds stupid but when you put lemon slices on the pizza do you eat the slice or do you take it off. I've seen people eat stuff they shouldn't eat all the time, like my friend doesn't shell sunflower or pumpkin seeds he eats em whole :-D.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2011, 10:08:12 PM »
Those pies look so good. Sorry if this sounds stupid but when you put lemon slices on the pizza do you eat the slice or do you take it off. I've seen people eat stuff they shouldn't eat all the time, like my friend doesn't shell sunflower or pumpkin seeds he eats em whole :-D.

We ate them; that was my intention - they were very thin. I definately would not lump them into the class of "stuff you shouldn't eat" - pumpkin seed shells either for that matter  :)

I like to marinate goat cheese in olive oil, rosemary, garlic, pepper, and lemon zest. That's what gave me the idea for the lemon slices on this pie. John posted a beautiful picture of a pie in the Easter challenge today. It also had lemon slices. From the placement under the artichokes, I'm guessing he too intended them to be eaten.

CL

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2011, 10:09:11 PM »
Craig, your pies are always consistently beautiful.  Sad to see the last of them but looking forward to seeing the new pies soon.

Chau

Thanks Chau, I'll send the very same comments right back at you!

CL

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2011, 10:10:50 PM »
Craig,

I would say your BBQ set-up did you well.  The pies you made look like they came out of a WFO.  :) 
Nice job!

Norma

Thank you, Norma.

CL

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2011, 10:13:21 PM »
Offer up your best defense
But this is the end
This is the end of the innocence.

-Don Henley

Gene,

I think most folks who know me well would tell you that was a long, long time ago...

CL

parallei

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2011, 10:18:48 PM »
Looking good, as always Craig.  Have a great time with the new oven. ;D

Paul

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2011, 10:34:28 PM »
Dang....I hate some of you folks in the nicest way possible,you all keep making pizzas that should have a shrine built for it instead of eating.
 ;D

Nice work and wish I could sample some of those.
 :)
-Bill

Online Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 10:48:40 PM »
B-E-A-Utiful.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 11:31:44 PM »
Craig,  do you ever see hogdon mills in your markets,  or bobs red mill?  I think both of those companies make unmalted white of bread flour.  I have found that the hogdon mills make a dough that does not burn like its malted counterparts.  This would get you into a 1 dollar or less flour that may be right up your alley.  Also,  surface temps aside,  I think you will find,  that the intesity of heat in you new oven will not match what you are used to number wise,  850 deck temps in the acunto will burn the KA pretty quick I bet.  Can't wait to find out.  -marc

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 06:10:28 AM »
Craig. You get such beautiful balance in your pies. Your char is perfect. The small diameter of my oven leaves very little window of success at 900 degrees on the floor cooking at 60 seconds. I am looking forward to seeing your new oven set up and running.

On the lemon, they are suprisingly addicting. They add a huge punch of acidity against the richness of the mozz. Try and find Meyer lemons - they are more sweet - and cut them paper thin.

John

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 07:10:35 AM »
Hi Craig, glad you liked the idea.... the pies look GREAT !!
next time grate some parmesan on the zucchini, it gives it a nice texture and taste... what i also do is to pre slice the zucchini 1 hour in advance and put some salt and drain the water out of them....
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

buceriasdon

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2011, 07:17:13 AM »
Craig, As always, superb pizza. The grill has served you well. I have a question for you. In your opening post you said "Water 64.0% (I wish I used 63%, 64% is too much for KAAP, IMHO). What effect does the higher hydration bring about in the dough?
Don