Author Topic: First post of my pizza's  (Read 1800 times)

Offline PizzaLou

First post of my pizza's
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:40:59 PM »
Great site! thought my first post i would show off my pizza's from this weekend.  Used Verasano's recipe with my italian sourdough starter. 22hr cold rise and a 3 hour countertop rise. Some of the best dough i have made. my balls were a little too big 315g resulted in bigger pies and some thicker pies when i didn't work it out enough. here are some pictures please comment. good or bad. mushroom was baby bell mushrooms, san marzano tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, and garlic, oregano.. then a cherry tomato, garlic, fresh mozz, pec romano.  then a buffalo chicken which was buffalo sauce, chicken, crumbled blue cheese, fresh mozz. and last picture is my final dough that i stretched out to 16" and fumbled it in oven (gotta show the bad with the good)

Offline PizzaLou

Re: First post of my pizza's
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:49:37 PM »
Oh i forgot! cooked in my WFO with a floor temp of 800- 700 on the last few!
here's the oven and my margherita.

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 10:00:11 PM »
Welcome pizzalou, your pies look good along with the crumb as well.  Are you using bread flour?

Offline PizzaLou

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:06:55 PM »
Welcome pizzalou, your pies look good along with the crumb as well.  Are you using bread flour?
Those were made with Caputo "00"
but i have had great results using KA bread flour. For some reason everything came together with this dough. I wasn't getting my starter activated enough in the past. i think i now have the hang of it..

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:06:38 PM »
Those were made with Caputo "00"
but i have had great results using KA bread flour. For some reason everything came together with this dough. I wasn't getting my starter activated enough in the past. i think i now have the hang of it..

PL, from your experience...what differences did you notice in the end product between using a BF and 00 in your WFO? 

Also, what is your hydration ratio and approximately how long were these pies baked for?  2min?

Chau

Offline PizzaLou

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 06:09:21 PM »
PL, from your experience...what differences did you notice in the end product between using a BF and 00 in your WFO? 

Also, what is your hydration ratio and approximately how long were these pies baked for?  2min?

Chau

I bet my hydration was around 65%. when the oven floor was 800 the pies cooked in less than 90 seconds. my last few i wasn't managing the fire well and the floor got down in the low 700's so they took a little over 2 min.  I couldn't tell in the past between the bread flour and the "00" but now that i am up to 800+ and high hydration it seems to me that the "00" burns less..

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2011, 06:21:10 PM »
That definitely makes sense PL.  Did you think the 00 pies tasted better or had better texture?  I'm sure the bread flour pies had more crunch?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 02:12:17 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline Frankie G

• Lifetime Member
  • Wood-Fired ovens RULE!
    • Frankie G's Pizza Oven Project
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 07:20:00 PM »
Oh i forgot! cooked in my WFO with a floor temp of 800- 700 on the last few!
here's the oven and my margherita.

Beautiful pizza pizzalou... nice job.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 07:54:27 PM »
Your pizzas look delicious, PizzaLou. And that oven!  Nice! 

TinRoof

Offline TheWalt

• BasilWeb
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 11:57:03 AM »
Those look great! And you all are making me want to build a WFO. Time for some research.

Offline PizzaLou

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 02:57:07 PM »
That definitely makes sense PL.  Did you think the 00 pies tasted better or had better texture?  I'm sure the bread flour pies had more crunch?

It's Hard for me to tell if they tasted better because my sourdough starter was spot on or if it was the difference in the flour. I think your right about the crispness of the bread flour. I plan on making two batches this saturday one with 00 and one with bread to expirement

Offline PizzaLou

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 02:58:01 PM »
thanks for all the compliments  ;D

pizzapan