Author Topic: Last of the Mohicans  (Read 3852 times)

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Last of the Mohicans
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2011, 09:39:13 AM »
Over 63% it weakens the dough slightly. When folding the dough early in the process, I see tears in the gluten cloak that look similar to what you see when you let sourdough ferment too long and the acid and enzymes start to break down the gluten - but not to that extent. You can still work the dough at 64%, but you need to be a little more careful when opening the ball. It will get really thin in the middle and you'll get little pinholes if you are not carefull.

At 63% and below, I don't see this. 62.5-63.0% seems to be the sweet spot for me. I'm not sure what I was thinking when I went 64%.

CL
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2011, 09:43:24 AM »
Hi Craig, glad you liked the idea.... the pies look GREAT !!
next time grate some parmesan on the zucchini, it gives it a nice texture and taste... what i also do is to pre slice the zucchini 1 hour in advance and put some salt and drain the water out of them....

More great ideas, thanks. Next time, I'm going to do it more like yours with tomato sauce. I think I would also like it with a little italian sausage too.

CL

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #22 on: April 04, 2011, 09:51:19 AM »
Craig,  do you ever see hogdon mills in your markets,  or bobs red mill?  I think both of those companies make unmalted white of bread flour.  I have found that the hogdon mills make a dough that does not burn like its malted counterparts.  This would get you into a 1 dollar or less flour that may be right up your alley.  Also,  surface temps aside,  I think you will find,  that the intesity of heat in you new oven will not match what you are used to number wise,  850 deck temps in the acunto will burn the KA pretty quick I bet.  Can't wait to find out.  -marc

I suspect you're right about the heat. I have a lot to learn, but frankly, that's what excites me the most.

CL

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2011, 09:51:31 AM »
now thats a GREAT IDEA !! some sausage....  :chef:
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2011, 07:04:06 PM »
Craig, nice work as usual.   Do you plan to change to an unmalted flour to help accomodate your new level of heat?  -marc

I found a restaurant near my office that will order Caputo for me. $45/25kg out the door. Got bag #1 at the house!

CL

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2011, 10:34:40 PM »
man, you've set the bar pretty high.  can't wait to see what you do with the new oven. 

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2011, 05:41:08 PM »
Craig, great looking batch of final pies there....you did the old grill justice with that parting salvo. Tremendous looking round of pizza.

Love to see more people putting lemon on pizza...I agree it's fantastic. Give it a whirl with smoked mozzarella...the smokiness really plays off of the tart acidity nicely. I saw lemon mentioned for the first time in this picture when Antonio Starita made a one-night pizzamaking appearance at Keste (http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2010/03/antonio-starita-makes-pizza-at-keste-pizza-and-vino-one-night-only-slideshow.html#show-77428)

Can't wait to see your new oven in action!

I found a restaurant near my office that will order Caputo for me. $45/25kg out the door. Got bag #1 at the house!

First, it's good that you found some Caputo. Is that a normal price for Caputo in the Midwest? We're at $30-$33 for a 25kg here in the Mid-Atlantic, depending on where you get it.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 06:12:06 PM by pizzablogger »
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell

Offline TXCraig1

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2011, 07:23:50 PM »
Thanks PB,

I don't think Caputo is terribly common here in any package size let alone the 25kg. The guy I'm getting it from found it through an Italian specialty products distributor. In any case, it's 1/2 the cost of buying it here in the small bags, and I don't have to go 30 miles out of my way to pick it up.

CL

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2011, 08:08:55 PM »
Beautiful as always.  You should try a little semolina in with the KABF.  The more I have used my WFO, the more I have dialed back the temps.  It may simply be that I have to work too hard on a 90 second pie, but usually after I do one or 2 at full steam, I let the oven cool a bit before moving into production, more in line with what you are running the grill at or even a tad lower.