Author Topic: One day old starter  (Read 8406 times)

Offline pizzanapoletana

• Pizza Napoletana as it was made in 1730!
    • Forno Napoletano - Pizza Ovens
Re: One day old starter
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2005, 06:09:42 PM »
Why 3?

One gives the bread the most wonderful aroma.. It is a bit slower then the other two, but the flavour compensate for that.

The second could be about 300 years old, it is quicker then the first but slower then the next one. It has a good balance and mild flavour. I do prefer this for pizza

The third, I have catch it myself. The quickest one, but turn the dough a bit bitter over long fermentation.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2005, 03:07:42 AM »
Marco, is it the ischia starter the one that you prefer for pizza, or is it your da michelle?

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2005, 01:03:51 PM »
I often use the Ischia starter for pizza as well, but I prefer another one. It is not from Da Michele, but from an older pizzeria, the only one from the very old ones to still use a starter.

Ciao

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2005, 01:17:28 PM »
do you mind telling me who it is so that I can go there in august to taste the pizza?  I am still really intrigued with the whole starter only thing, and I really want to see what a master can do with one of these.  I have my first attempt at a Caputo aqua fresca sitting in front of me right now.

Also, is it alright to mix my two starters in a dough to hopefully get the best effects of both?  I am just not sure if they can coexist happily.

Offline pizzanapoletana

« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2005, 08:03:11 PM »
I am sorry, but cannot tell you anything more on my starter. This one I keep it for me. Anyway, the pizza they do at that pizzeria is not that good as they are drove by the money and not passion anymore and use cheep ingredients. The only good thing they still do is the starter.

I have experienced first handed and also had laboratory confirmation, that is not good to mix different starter together. Instead of improving the results, in most cases, you get the worst of both starters, as you break the balance of each micro flora.

By the way, Ciro uses the Ischia starter I gave him.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2005, 10:42:40 PM »
great, I am sure I would have ended up trying to mix the two starters.  You have saved me some potential disaster!  No problem about the pizzeria, I would have only wanted to go if it was special.  The good news is that I finally had great success with the ischia, caputo, room temp rise, and your recipe from when you first joined the forum.  It was the best tasting dough I have made yet by far. I only used 1450g of flour per liter so I pretty much had to pour the dough out of my containers.  It made for some unusual shaped pizzas to say the least!  One of them had a tail, one of them was shaped like a boomerang.  I am going to have to learn some new techniques to deal with a dough hydrated this much.

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, Whiskey, Freedom n' Pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2005, 08:40:26 PM »
OMG you are so cheap. 

Is this the way you help people?
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew