Author Topic: Self Rising Flour  (Read 823 times)

Offline Chet

Self Rising Flour
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:34:07 AM »

I have a 25lb of self rising flour, a friend of mine got it by mistake and was going to throw it out, So I have it,, any good for bread, or possibly for a pizza dough, what is the self rising mainly used for. maybe I can use it for something other wise I will get rid of it too.

Chet

Offline TXCraig1

Re: Self Rising Flour
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:53:47 AM »
I think you have a lot of biscuits and pancakes in your future.  :)

CL
Pizza is not bread.

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 10:02:24 AM »

Offline Chet

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 02:48:34 PM »
Chet,

I'm afraid that Craig is right. See Reply 8 at http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13318.msg131936/topicseen.html#msg131936.

Peter

Craig & Peter

Thanks for the reply, not into biscuits, but we do have waffles, will look for a waffle recipe. probably can make a few hundred waffles, maybe I will go and do it with the Expanded dough calculator. LOL, just kidding thought Peter would get a kick from it.

thanks
       Chet

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 03:01:17 PM »
Chet,

I hadn't thought of that but if the ingredients are listed in the expanded dough calculating tool and you have been able to convert your waffle recipe to baker's percents, then I think you should be able to use the Dough Weight option.

Peter

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 04:19:15 PM »
Chet, I hate to see you throw out 25lb. of flour. The internet does have a number of thin and crispy style pizza recipes using either self rising flour or baking soda with all purpose flour. I tried several when I was working on a monthly challenge using baking soda and wasn't very happy with the taste and the texture. After a exchange with Peter I went back and revisited one of the ones that was at least passable and modified it to include IDY. You might try it without the IDY and see how it is using your self rising flour.
1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour(I used a type of flour called Integral)
1 teaspoon baking powder(not if using self rising)
1 teaspoon Instant Dry Yeast
1/4 cup cornmeal(use semolina if available)
1 1/4 cup water(the WW and cormeal needs a bit more water or it's too hard to knead)
1 teaspoon salt(not if using self rising)
 I would delete the salt if using self rising. I don't mean to say this is the definitive recipe for you to use but maybe something to try and modify to your taste. Worth a try.
Don