Author Topic: Pizza for Everyone!  (Read 995 times)

Offline dmaxdmax

Pizza for Everyone!
« on: April 04, 2011, 06:14:50 PM »
It seems everyone we know has a family member with some form of food sensitivity or allergy.  It occurs to me that a pizza joint could have a menu with items for people with gluten, wheat, dairy and some other ingredients I'm not thinking of.  It couldn't have anything with nuts.  A family could come in and order 4 individual pizzas, one w/o dairy, another w/o gluten, a whole wheat and a "real" one.  Does anyone know any examples of this style menu?

I'm in a small college town and no place to get what I consider to be a decent pizza.  The one place that sells by the slice stinks and the other that only sells whole pies is a mediocre franchise.  Neither is within walking distance of the campus or main street.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Dave (heading over to pmq.com)
Always make new mistakes.

buceriasdon

Re: Pizza for Everyone!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 06:31:48 PM »
My thoughts are to make those sorts of pizzas at home as I have. Are they commercially viable? No.
Don

It seems everyone we know has a family member with some form of food sensitivity or allergy.  It occurs to me that a pizza joint could have a menu with items for people with gluten, wheat, dairy and some other ingredients I'm not thinking of.  It couldn't have anything with nuts.  A family could come in and order 4 individual pizzas, one w/o dairy, another w/o gluten, a whole wheat and a "real" one.  Does anyone know any examples of this style menu?

I'm in a small college town and no place to get what I consider to be a decent pizza.  The one place that sells by the slice stinks and the other that only sells whole pies is a mediocre franchise.  Neither is within walking distance of the campus or main street.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Dave (heading over to pmq.com)

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 06:54:57 PM »
My thoughts are to make those sorts of pizzas at home as I have. Are they commercially viable? No.
Don

Why not, Don?  It seems to me that it won't take too long to get a sense for how many of each specialty dough you'll need every day and it wouldn't be hard to inventory soy cheese along with cow or fresh mozz.  What about it is a deal-breaker?

Thanks for the brain cells!
Dave

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 10:10:35 PM »
Because you need separate cooking utensils, prep areas, storage, and serving-ware for the various sorts of -isms, as well as allergies. Cross contamination is tough enough in a normal commercial kitchen, almost impossible when you throw in a few restrictions. For example, peanut and vegan, much less gluten free and vegetarian.

The slice of the market for serving more than one of those is not sustainable.  If you want to specialize it is doable, but still not economically feasible.

Offline dmaxdmax

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2011, 11:20:40 PM »
That makes sense.  I wouldn't have nuts anything since 0.01% cross-contamination can be fatal.  I don't know about sensitivity to trace amounts for other issues.

Dave

Offline Ronzo

• Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 11:39:19 PM »
Because you need separate cooking utensils, prep areas, storage, and serving-ware for the various sorts of -isms, as well as allergies. Cross contamination is tough enough in a normal commercial kitchen, almost impossible when you throw in a few restrictions. For example, peanut and vegan, much less gluten free and vegetarian.

The slice of the market for serving more than one of those is not sustainable.  If you want to specialize it is doable, but still not economically feasible.
Promise Pizza offers gluten free, but only in one size, because they're using pre-made crusts... for the exact reasons you're talking about here. Saccone's up in Anderson Mill just started doing a gluten free crust as well, and as far as I know, they're also using a pre-made crust.

If they made their own, like you said, they'd have to have completely segregated areas, as in a different room with some type of air collection system, to prevent ANY regular flour from ever getting into the mix.
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew

Offline c0mpl3x

• crumb bubbles!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2011, 02:11:32 AM »
the insane amounts of capital and space required to prep, store, and seperate 4 complete different pizzas alone is enough reason to not do this.

now add in the overhead cost of 'organic' and 'gluten free' products, and kiss the rest of your profits goodbye
Hotdogs kill more people than sharks do, yearly.