Author Topic: Partial rice flour substitution  (Read 1196 times)

Offline Smith1026

Partial rice flour substitution
« on: February 28, 2011, 09:08:53 AM »
Using my usual
F 100%
W 36%
ADY 1%
Salt 1%
Oil 2%
Sugar 1%
fornulation, I substituted 15% by weight of the F for rice flour. Was hoping for a crispier crust that browned easier. The crust seemed much lighter, which I wasnt too crazy about, and I dont think it browned any better. It also seemed quite a bit more hydrated than usual. Does rice flour hang on to moisture or something more than wheat? Rice is somethimes used as a dessicant so that makes sense. As always, hindsight 20/20.

buceriasdon

Re: Partial rice flour substitution
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2011, 09:24:37 AM »
When I've tried white rice flour, not that many times, I too found it doesn't bring much to the mix. Maybe brown rice flour is different but have never found it.
Don

Using my usual
F 100%
W 36%
ADY 1%
Salt 1%
Oil 2%
Sugar 1%
fornulation, I substituted 15% by weight of the F for rice flour. Was hoping for a crispier crust that browned easier. The crust seemed much lighter, which I wasnt too crazy about, and I dont think it browned any better. It also seemed quite a bit more hydrated than usual. Does rice flour hang on to moisture or something more than wheat? Rice is somethimes used as a dessicant so that makes sense. As always, hindsight 20/20.

Offline Smith1026

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2011, 10:34:00 AM »
This was brown rice flour. Guess I will find another use for it other than pizza.

Offline BTB

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2011, 11:17:11 AM »
I often use a little bit of white rice flour to help get an extra crisp kick to the pizza crust.  And to my way of thinking have had nothing but success with it.  I made a couple of small deep dish pizzas the other day, one with a little white rice flour added and one without it, but both with some semolina flour also.  My adult son said the clear winner between the two was the one with the rice flour.

I had previously reported on making thin crusts with a bit of white rice flour along with some semolina flour.  See http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,8291.msg71517.html#msg71517 .  Since then, I've kind of settled on a 5 to 8% rice flour proportion as being the ideal target in a flour blend.  Some like the rice flour additive, some don't.  One just needs to try it and see if it hits the taste spot for them.  But as far as I'm concerned, it made for one mighty fine pizza and I suspect a lot of pizzerias "sneak" a little into their formulations.

--BTB
« Last Edit: March 03, 2011, 11:26:04 AM by BTB »