Author Topic: Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?  (Read 24544 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?
« on: April 03, 2011, 01:15:38 PM »
This is just a follow-up post that I did sent two emails on 3/30/2011 one to seguinscheese -seguinscheese@cybrzn.com  and one to the iinfo@eatwisconsincheese.com about if they could help me locate a brand of white cheddar that does have a emblem on the box or maybe in the cheese of the state of Wisconsin.  I haven’t received any replies, but the cheese at seguins cheese does have a emblem of the state of Wisconsin.  http://www.seguinscheese.com/products/Wisconsin-Cheddar-Cheese-%252d-1-lb.-%26-2-lb.-Wheels-%252d-Mild%2C-Medium-%26-Sharp..html

I have no idea what white cheddars sold to distributors have the emblem on the box of the state of Wisconsin.

Norma
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:41:38 PM by Pete-zza »
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline matermark

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 02:09:29 PM »
guys, don't forget that I got inside information from a good friend that used to work at mac and mencos.    He said that the cheese was white cheddar from wisconsin.   He would have told me if it was a blend.   He said that the cheese actually had a stamp in the shape of the state of wisconsin on the box (and thought maybe even in the blocks of cheese).    THat should help to narrow it down.  

What do you mean by a "stamp" on the box scott? do you mean embossment/impression or just a picture of the state shape? Do you mean a perforated outline, raised embossment or stamped in impression/depression, or just a plain old ink pic?

Maybe clarify this point before we have people looking and calling all over the place! I think I can find & post a dozen (maybe hundred) links like above with a pic of WI on the product.

Offline matermark

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 02:17:52 PM »
This is just a follow-up post that I did sent two emails on 3/30/2011 one to seguinscheese -seguinscheese@cybrzn.com  and one to the iinfo@eatwisconsincheese.com about if they could help me locate a brand of white cheddar that does have a emblem on the box or maybe in the cheese of the state of Wisconsin.  I haven’t received any replies, but the cheese at seguins cheese does have a emblem of the state of Wisconsin.  http://www.seguinscheese.com/products/Wisconsin-Cheddar-Cheese-%252d-1-lb.-%26-2-lb.-Wheels-%252d-Mild%2C-Medium-%26-Sharp..html

I have no idea what white cheddars sold to distributors have the emblem on the box of the state of Wisconsin.

Norma

Norma, I think we should find out from scott r or his friend what he meant by a "stamp" first. Are you calling it an emblem interchangably with stamp or sticker or pic or outline or embossment or imprint or logo or whatever else? Do these all interchange?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 03:10:34 PM »
Norma, I think we should find out from scott r or his friend what he meant by a "stamp" first. Are you calling it an emblem interchangably with stamp or sticker or pic or outline or embossment or imprint or logo or whatever else? Do these all interchange?

Mark,

scott r Replied at 576 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg132901.html#msg132901 and again at Reply 13 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg95846.html#msg95846 posting that his friend said it was stamped with "made in wisconsin".  I don’t know what that means.  I would think if I contacted enough distributors maybe I would find out.  I was only trying to find the information myself.  I have contacted some distributors, but don’t know if I am going to contact more.  I might.  Even if we find out the real brand of white cheddar, that doesn’t necessarily mean, any member might be able to purchase that brand of white cheddar.  Even I might not be able to purchase that specific brand around my area.

BTW I did ask my local cheese place about “brick cheese” and they don’t carry it.  They said they could order it for me, but I don’t want to go to more expense since Mack’s is using white cheddar.  The manger of the local place told me how “brick cheese” is made with the painting of the rim and said the closest thing he had was Limburger cheese, that is also painted on the rim of the cheese.  He sold me a slice for 1.00.  I never tasted Limburger cheese before, and all I could say was I sure didn’t like it and drank a whole bottle of water after I ate a small piece.  :-D I gave a piece to Steve and if I could have taken a picture, the picture would have been priceless when he tasted that cheese.  >:D  I am not looking for anymore “brick cheese” as of right now for a Mack’s clone.

Norma
« Last Edit: April 03, 2011, 03:12:05 PM by norma427 »

Offline matermark

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 06:30:24 PM »
Mark,

scott r Replied at 576 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg132901.html#msg132901 and again at Reply 13 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg95846.html#msg95846 posting that his friend said it was stamped with "made in wisconsin".  I don’t know what that means.  I would think if I contacted enough distributors maybe I would find out.  I was only trying to find the information myself.  I have contacted some distributors, but don’t know if I am going to contact more.  I might.  Even if we find out the real brand of white cheddar, that doesn’t necessarily mean, any member might be able to purchase that brand of white cheddar.  Even I might not be able to purchase that specific brand around my area.

BTW I did ask my local cheese place about “brick cheese” and they don’t carry it.  They said they could order it for me, but I don’t want to go to more expense since Mack’s is using white cheddar.  The manger of the local place told me how “brick cheese” is made with the painting of the rim and said the closest thing he had was Limburger cheese, that is also painted on the rim of the cheese.  He sold me a slice for 1.00.  I never tasted Limburger cheese before, and all I could say was I sure didn’t like it and drank a whole bottle of water after I ate a small piece.  :-D I gave a piece to Steve and if I could have taken a picture, the picture would have been priceless when he tasted that cheese.  >:D  I am not looking for anymore “brick cheese” as of right now for a Mack’s clone.

Norma
Norma, as for scott's reply at #13, "stamped with "made in wisconsin", hahaha! That makes it soo much easier! (lol)  ;)

As for the Limburger, another big LOL! I haven't had it but heard it was a stinky cheese--I remember when I was a kid my Dad brought some home and recall a big fuss about it.

I'm not sure if brick & limburger are anything alike besides the shell so I guess we can get 1 more laugh out of it--the deli guy in the Italian market in Old Forge PA that sold me the Brick said that Brick cheese is a great melting cheese & when I asked what other cheese it's similar to he said Muenster. I don't think I ever tasted Muenster either so I bought a block of it for $1.29 last week for 8oz. Reading the description from the company that originated it here in the USA, it sounds nothing like limburger so perhaps that's just more misinformation! I thought my brand of Brick was quite mild, between mozzarella, and maybe cheddar. I don't recall if I've ever had white mild cheddar either.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »
Norma, as for scott's reply at #13, "stamped with "made in wisconsin", hahaha! That makes it soo much easier! (lol)  ;)

Mark,

I don't know how easy it will be to find cheese stamped with "made in Wisconsin".  There are so many cheeses made in Wisconsin.  When I have time, I will search some more.

Norma

Offline joiseystud

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2011, 09:09:58 PM »
Mark,

I don't know how easy it will be to find cheese stamped with "made in Wisconsin".  There are so many cheeses made in Wisconsin.  When I have time, I will search some more.

Norma
Have you thought of calling and asking them what kind of cheese they use?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2011, 09:22:51 PM »
Have you thought of calling and asking them what kind of cheese they use?

Justin,

I didn't call them, but on this thread a lady that was sitting beside me at Mack's (that lives in Wildwood and is a regular customers of Mack's pizza) asked about if the cheese was cheddar and they said partly.  I can link you to the video I posted if you want me to. 

I even tried to buy a dough ball and they wouldn't sell me one.

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 11:50:54 PM »
Justin,

I didn't call them, but on this thread a lady that was sitting beside me at Mack's (that lives in Wildwood and is a regular customers of Mack's pizza) asked about if the cheese was cheddar and they said partly.  I can link you to the video I posted if you want me to. 

I even tried to buy a dough ball and they wouldn't sell me one.

Norma
It's interesting that a lady said PARTLY cheddar, but scott or scott's friend [I'm pretty sure] said it's NOT a blend.

Ahhh, The Road Not Taken...

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 01:26:13 AM »
It's interesting that a lady said PARTLY cheddar, but scott or scott's friend [I'm pretty sure] said it's NOT a blend.

Ahhh, The Road Not Taken...

Mark,

I don’t think Mack’s would really tell what kind of white cheddar they use.  The white cheddar is what makes their pizzas unique. I never tasted a pizza that has the taste of Mack's cheese.  If Mack’s won’t tell a customer that has lived in Wildwood what kind of cheese they use, I don’t think they would tell anyone. That is just my opinion. The lady sitting next to me knew each of the piemen at Mack’s when I was there.  scott r is a consultant for different pizzerias and has studied all kinds of cheeses and everything else to do with pizza for years.  I value his opinions on anything having to do with pizza.  I am sure his friend is correct when he said his friend knew it was white cheddar. 

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 02:15:31 AM »
Mark,

I don’t think Mack’s would really tell what kind of white cheddar they use.  The white cheddar is what makes their pizzas unique. I never tasted a pizza that has the taste of Mack's cheese.  If Mack’s won’t tell a customer that has lived in Wildwood what kind of cheese they use, I don’t think they would tell anyone. That is just my opinion. The lady sitting next to me knew each of the piemen at Mack’s when I was there.  scott r is a consultant for different pizzerias and has studied all kinds of cheeses and everything else to do with pizza for years.  I value his opinions on anything having to do with pizza.  I am sure his friend is correct when he said his friend knew it was white cheddar. 

Norma

So scott is right (It's not a blend) & the lady that knew the workers is wrong (It's NOT PARTLY cheddar?) ???

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2011, 09:18:58 AM »
So scott is right (It's not a blend) & the lady that knew the workers is wrong (It's NOT PARTLY cheddar?) ???

Mark,

If you listen to the second video I posted at Reply 213 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg97856.html#msg97856 you will hear one of the two ladies that are from Wildwood asking the piemen something like: “Can you tell me something?  Is the cheese a blend of cheeses? Then the pieman says yes.  She then says, Is there cheddar in the blend and he says yes.  The lady from Wildwood, said I don’t want you to tell your secret, but I wouldn’t ever be able to duplicate it.  The pieman just laughs.  That is one reason I don’t think Mack’s will ever tell someone what kind of white cheddar cheese they use. That pie the piemen were making was the last pie of the night.  I had a conversation with the ladies (not on video) and they told me they go to Mack’s pizza all the time because Mack’s is their favorite pizza and they do live in Wildwood. Another time I talked to the one pieman in the video I referenced he said he had made pizza at Mack’s for a long while.

When Peter did call Mack’s at Reply 126 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg97176.html#msg97176 the lady that answered the phone did tell him that no mozzarella is used, only white cheddar cheese.  Probably most workers at Mack’s really don’t know the brand of cheese because it is probably is not grated in the area where Mack’s sells the pizzas.  I would think, but do not know, that the piemen would know the brand of white cheddar that is used.

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2011, 11:00:47 AM »
Mark,

If you listen to the second video I posted at Reply 213 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg97856.html#msg97856 you will hear one of the two ladies that are from Wildwood asking the piemen something like: “Can you tell me something?  Is the cheese a blend of cheeses? Then the pieman says yes.  She then says, Is there cheddar in the blend and he says yes.  The lady from Wildwood, said I don’t want you to tell your secret, but I wouldn’t ever be able to duplicate it.  The pieman just laughs.  That is one reason I don’t think Mack’s will ever tell someone what kind of white cheddar cheese they use. That pie the piemen were making was the last pie of the night.  I had a conversation with the ladies (not on video) and they told me they go to Mack’s pizza all the time because Mack’s is their favorite pizza and they do live in Wildwood. Another time I talked to the one pieman in the video I referenced he said he had made pizza at Mack’s for a long while.

When Peter did call Mack’s at Reply 126 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg97176.html#msg97176 the lady that answered the phone did tell him that no mozzarella is used, only white cheddar cheese.  Probably most workers at Mack’s really don’t know the brand of cheese because it is probably is not grated in the area where Mack’s sells the pizzas.  I would think, but do not know, that the piemen would know the brand of white cheddar that is used.

Norma
Norma, I'm sorry. My point was that both people, scott and the Wildwood lady (or ladies), couldn't be completely correct. scott's friend said they don't use a blend. The lady that knew the workers says white cheddar was one of the cheeses in the blend.

One contradicts the other. Only one can be right.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2011, 11:06:43 AM »
Norma, I'm sorry. My point was that both people, scott and the Wildwood lady (or ladies), couldn't be completely correct. scott's friend said they don't use a blend. The lady that knew the workers says white cheddar was one of the cheeses in the blend.

One contradicts the other. Only one can be right.

Mark,

The lady really didn't know what was used for Mack's cheese.  She was just asking a question about possibly what they might use, since she saw I was interested in knowing more about how Mack's makes their pizzas.  She wasn't really interested in what kind of cheese was used.  She told me while I was talking to her, she never makes her own pizzas. I didn't tell her or the piemen that I also made pizzas. As you can see in the video Mack's really doesn't want to tell what kind of cheeses are used. 

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2011, 11:15:31 AM »
Mark,

The lady really didn't know what was used for Mack's cheese.  She was just asking a question about possibly what they might use, since she saw I was interested in knowing more about how Mack's makes their pizzas.  She wasn't really interested in what kind of cheese was used.  She told me while I was talking to her, she never makes her own pizzas. I didn't tell her or the piemen that I also made pizzas. As you can see in the video Mack's really doesn't want to tell what kind of cheeses are used. 

Norma
So Norma, the pieman said that cheddar was ONE of the cheeses in the blend. But scott's friend said they only use white cheddar--there is no blend.

Which one is right?

Which one do you believe?

Offline Tscarborough

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • Pizza Anarchy
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2011, 12:47:18 PM »
Maybe they use several different white cheddars.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2011, 04:42:54 PM »
Maybe they use several different white cheddars.

Tscarborough,

They could be using a blend of several different white cheddars, I really don't know. 

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2011, 10:30:57 PM »
Tscarborough,

They could be using a blend of several different white cheddars, I really don't know. 

Norma

Again...didn't scott say NO blend?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 06:16:29 AM »
Again...didn't scott say NO blend?

Mark,

I believe I stated in my past posts, I believed what scott r said.  To get as close as you can to a pizza made by any  pizza business that doesn’t have their nutrition data on a website, or other information somewhere on the web, it is very hard to get exactly the same results.  We may never find the information we need.  That being said, the pizzas made from the formulas posted so far are good.  I am not going to search cheeses each day and taste test them on pizzas.  That would get to expensive for me and if Mack’s is using a cheese from a distributor (which most pizza businesses do), we may never be able to get the exact cheese, even if we find the exact brand.  Since I can’t  be where Mack’s makes the dough, grates the cheese, or mixes their sauce, I am almost positive this effort won’t be exactly like Mack’s.  Maybe in the end, this will be a better tasting pizza.  That has happened before in other cloning threads. These are just my opinions.

If you have any information on the brand of cheese Mack’s uses or other information that might be helpful, I would appreciate what it is.

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 12:10:45 PM »
Sorry Norma, I don't have the brand, but if I were you I'd ask scott.  ;)

If you believe scott that there is no blend, why would you suggest it to Tscarborough?