Author Topic: Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?  (Read 23388 times)

Offline Pizzamaster

Re: Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 06:29:41 PM »
With so many actually being nearby did it ever occur to look in their dumpster? I know this may sound silly to some. But if the desire to know is that great it only makes sense.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 06:48:20 PM »
With so many actually being nearby did it ever occur to look in their dumpster? I know this may sound silly to some. But if the desire to know is that great it only makes sense.

Pizzamaster,

A few members did try, but didn't find the brand of cheese.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline wizarddrummer

Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2011, 07:09:52 PM »
Mark,

I believe I stated in my past posts, I believed what scott r said.  To get as close as you can to a pizza made by any  pizza business that doesnít have their nutrition data on a website, or other information somewhere on the web, it is very hard to get exactly the same results.  We may never find the information we need.  That being said, the pizzas made from the formulas posted so far are good.  I am not going to search cheeses each day and taste test them on pizzas.  That would get to expensive for me and if Mackís is using a cheese from a distributor (which most pizza businesses do), we may never be able to get the exact cheese, even if we find the exact brand.  Since I canít  be where Mackís makes the dough, grates the cheese, or mixes their sauce, I am almost positive this effort wonít be exactly like Mackís.  Maybe in the end, this will be a better tasting pizza.  That has happened before in other cloning threads. These are just my opinions.

If you have any information on the brand of cheese Mackís uses or other information that might be helpful, I would appreciate what it is.

Norma
Quite an interesting thread we got here.

If I lived in the area and I had plenty of time to do this I would hang at the store and wait for a delivery truck that delivers the cheese; that is unless the people that own the pizza place go out at midnight in unmarked vans to pick up the cheese at the airport.

When the driver was finished I would ask him two questions 1) who is the salesman for this route and 2) you want to make 20 bucks? If he says yes you say "What brand of cheese does this place use?"

If the driver doesn't take the nibble maybe you could say to the salesman that you're wanting to set up an account and start and open a store; the question becomes can I buy the same cheese that this store uses?

Offline matermark

« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2011, 03:13:37 AM »
Ding ding ding ding ding!!! We have a winner! Almost what I meant in one of my earlier posts regarding a $20 bill. Or if not a supply driver, then a part-time low-level employee at the end of summer getting laid off to go back to school. Even a kid who "lost his contact lens" & thinks it's in the dumpster!

None of these would take 2 years to solve!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2011, 10:54:04 AM »
wizarddrummer and Mark,

I canít comment on what other members might be thinking, but my priority isnít finding the exact cheese Mackís uses anymore. It can be see where I posted about finding the exact cheese at Reply 617 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg135301.html#msg135301 If other members or I do find the exact cheese Mackís uses, that is fine, but I am trying to find cheeses that might taste like what Mackís uses, so other members or guests, can try cheeses they can find in their area where they live to be able to produce a pizza that tastes like Mackís or is even better.

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2011, 06:09:45 PM »
huh? You don't care if you find the exact one as long as you find something else that might taste the same so others can find cheeses in their area to produce a pizza that tastes like Mack's or even better???? What if we can't find what YOU find to be the right one (or better?)

First, I think most of the people following this thread are doing so merely to see you succeed first and foremost. To change your position after almost 2 years is, well, unfair to us. Chances are many of us, besides yourself & a couple others, have no emotional ties to the Boardwalk or Mack's but just following the process here.

Secondly, there's always the challenge of being able to reverse engineer something, which others may be still hanging around to accomplish. Saying now that finding the exact cheese isn't the priority is almost offensive to anyone that ever participated in reverse engineering something, especially here!

I think it's time scott r asks his friend what kind of cheese they use and get it over with already. Then everybody can try the "complete" recipe, if you will, to see what all the fuss is about and judge if it was worth this much time; and to think, you weren't even the starter of the Boardwalk thread, but managed to virtually take it over and keep it alive all this time! (2 years come summer! :o )
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 06:12:29 PM by matermark »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2011, 06:48:19 PM »
matermark,

I am taking your last post as a tongue-in-cheek reply. You know as well as anyone that Norma does not have a duty or obligation to anyone on this forum to do anything. If others are interested in the type(s) of cheeses used by Mack's or the Mack's supplier, they are free to take whatever steps they deem useful or necessary to determine the source of the cheeses. They don't have to wait for Norma to do something. And I wouldn't advocate bribing employees of Mack's or its suppliers to determine that information. New Jersey has laws against that sort of thing (see http://www.citmedialaw.org/legal-guide/trade-secrets-law-new-jersey). Whether those laws would apply in this situtation cannot be stated with any certainty, but I would not want to subject myself to the penalties that might be imposed if I got caught trying to bribe a Mack's employee, a supplier, or anyone else.

Peter

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2011, 07:36:34 PM »

I think it's time scott r asks his friend what kind of cheese they use and get it over with already. Then everybody can try the "complete" recipe, if you will, to see what all the fuss is about and judge if it was worth this much time; and to think, you weren't even the starter of the Boardwalk thread, but managed to virtually take it over and keep it alive all this time! (2 years come summer! :o )

I wish I could get more out of him, but it has been so many years since he worked there thats all were going to get.   I asked every question I could.   

buceriasdon

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2011, 08:02:26 PM »
Concerning the brand of cheese, I wouldn't discount the cheese is made by a dairy expressly for them and no one else.

Offline NepaBill

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2011, 01:12:34 PM »
If it's pizza made on a boardwalk, I would bet the cheese is cheap and readily available.  I live in Northeastern part of Pennsylvania.  A cheese found on many pizza's in this area (not Old Forge Style), is Land O'Lakes cheddar. it comes in 40lb blocks and 3 strengths mild (1-3 months),  med (3-6 months), and sharp (6-12 months)..  Mild is not sharp at all and works very well on pizza..  City-Mager in Wilkes Barre and Maine Source carries this product and are open to the public.  City-Mager in Wilkes Barre will sell 5lb blocks, Maines will not, you have to buy the 40lb block..  Sysco also has this product, but they have no cash-n-carry that I know of.

Offline matermark

« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2011, 01:19:12 PM »
If it's pizza made on a boardwalk, I would bet the cheese is cheap and readily available.  I live in Northeastern part of Pennsylvania.  A cheese found on many pizza's in this area (not Old Forge Style), is Land O'Lakes cheddar. it comes in 40lb blocks and 3 strengths mild (1-3 months),  med (3-6 months), and sharp (6-12 months)..  Mild is not sharp at all and works very well on pizza..  City-Mager in Wilkes Barre and Maine Source carries this product and are open to the public.  City-Mager in Wilkes Barre will sell 5lb blocks, Maines will not, you have to buy the 40lb block..  Sysco also has this product, but they have no cash-n-carry that I know of.

What town do you live in Bill?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2011, 11:29:40 AM »

NepaBill,

Thanks for posting about the Land O' Lakes cheddar.  :) If I find some in my area, I will give it a try on a Mack's attempt.  I did find some New Yorker sharp cheddar yesterday and did taste it.  It was very mild and creamy.  I might also try that cheddar on a Mack's attempt in the next few weeks, if I find time.

Norma

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2011, 10:10:02 AM »
Hello to everyone here.  Name is tom and I am new to the forums....well actually a lurker who until now has not said anything.  Anyways, Mack's is one of my favorites.  Some sunny afternoons when the weather is good and i need a pizza fix i just hop on my bike and head to wildwood.  Mack's and PA Dutch Birchbeer can't be beat.  Now onto the cheese. 
I am no expert at this but one day sitting at the bar across from the cheese lug I noticed what "I thought" was two different grates of cheese.  The larger grate did look like a cheddar to me....firmer than a mozz.  The other was a thinner grate which looked like a harder cheese so I assumed it was a parm.  Now I know what "assume" stands for but when I tried the combination it seemed to be getting close... according to my tastebuds.  My mix was 90 cheddar and 10 parm.  And this was in my "house" oven at 500 on a pizza stone.  Then again they say the salt water taffy gets it taste from the salty air....maybe the same applies to the pizza!   LOL
Anyways its nice to be here with everyone!
tom

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2011, 10:32:10 AM »
Hello to everyone here.  Name is tom and I am new to the forums....well actually a lurker who until now has not said anything.  Anyways, Mack's is one of my favorites.  Some sunny afternoons when the weather is good and i need a pizza fix i just hop on my bike and head to wildwood.  Mack's and PA Dutch Birchbeer can't be beat.  Now onto the cheese. 
I am no expert at this but one day sitting at the bar across from the cheese lug I noticed what "I thought" was two different grates of cheese.  The larger grate did look like a cheddar to me....firmer than a mozz.  The other was a thinner grate which looked like a harder cheese so I assumed it was a parm.  Now I know what "assume" stands for but when I tried the combination it seemed to be getting close... according to my tastebuds.  My mix was 90 cheddar and 10 parm.  And this was in my "house" oven at 500 on a pizza stone.  Then again they say the salt water taffy gets it taste from the salty air....maybe the same applies to the pizza!   LOL
Anyways its nice to be here with everyone!
tom

Tom,

Welcome to the forum, even if you have been a lurker for awhile. Nice to have you on the forum.  :) Glad to hear Mackís pizza is one of your favorite pizzas. 

You could be right about the blend of cheese you are trying with cheddar and Parmesan.  I think there could be different possibilities for a cheese that might taste like Mackís cheese.  Glad your combination seems like it is close to you!

Do you mind posting what brand of cheddar and Parmesan cheese you tried?

Norma

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #34 on: December 23, 2011, 10:29:09 AM »
Norma, thanks for the welcome.  I use Cabot mild white cheddar (usually) but recently found Boarshead Vermont white cheddar.  The boarshead i used on mudd-honey sandwiches but the cheddar had a good flavor so i am going to try it on pizza the next time.  As for the parm I get the parm-reggiano if it is available and when its not i get the wedge of stella parm.  Also I always buy my cheese whole and shred myself....I feel there is a difference between doing it myself and having  pre-packaged shredded (but then again my wife tells me I'm crazy!)
Hope everyone has a Great Christmas and a Happy New Year!!
Tom

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: December 23, 2011, 12:08:17 PM »
Norma, thanks for the welcome.  I use Cabot mild white cheddar (usually) but recently found Boarshead Vermont white cheddar.  The boarshead i used on mudd-honey sandwiches but the cheddar had a good flavor so i am going to try it on pizza the next time.  As for the parm I get the parm-reggiano if it is available and when its not i get the wedge of stella parm.  Also I always buy my cheese whole and shred myself....I feel there is a difference between doing it myself and having  pre-packaged shredded (but then again my wife tells me I'm crazy!)
Hope everyone has a Great Christmas and a Happy New Year!!
Tom

Tom,

Thanks for telling what brands and kinds of cheddar and Parmesan you have tried.  :) I also think that is a world of difference if cheeses are grated yourself instead of buying the pre-packaged shredded.  Steve, my pizza making buddy brought some pre-packaged shredded Cabot sharp white cheddar to market this past Tuesday to try on a dough he had made (it wasnít a Mackís dough), but that cheese mixed with mozzarella did really become greasy and had a faint taste like Mackís.  Steve and I discussed trying the Cabot extra sharp cheddar some day on an attempt for a Mackís pizza.  I donít know if you saw where I posted under the boardwalk thread or not, but I did purchase some Cracker Barrel extra sharp white cheddar to try in the New Year on another Mackís attempt.

Let us all know how your attempts come out with the kinds of cheddars and parm you try.  Maybe in the end we will find a cheddar or combination of cheddar and some other kind of cheese that does make a Mackís attempt taste like a real Mackís pizza.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you too!

Norma

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 01:59:36 PM »
Norma,
After reading through all the threads here i found your dough recipe for Mack's so since it is friday and i haven't had my pizza fix this week i am going to give it a try.  And while I was at the market here I found a slightly sharp cheddar that put me in mind of Mack's, it is "Boxing cheddar" from australia.  I tried it at the counter and it was good.  So i am now armed with a block of the cheddar, a wedge of Sarvecchio parm, and some pearlini mozz; the dough is resting and soon i'll be shredding.  I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
One thing about this site though, everytime i get on here i feel like i gain weight!!   :-D
tom

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2012, 06:03:23 PM »
Norma,
After reading through all the threads here i found your dough recipe for Mack's so since it is friday and i haven't had my pizza fix this week i am going to give it a try.  And while I was at the market here I found a slightly sharp cheddar that put me in mind of Mack's, it is "Boxing cheddar" from australia.  I tried it at the counter and it was good.  So i am now armed with a block of the cheddar, a wedge of Sarvecchio parm, and some pearlini mozz; the dough is resting and soon i'll be shredding.  I'll let everyone know how it turns out.
One thing about this site though, everytime i get on here i feel like i gain weight!!   :-D
tom

Fire-n-smoke,

Good to hear you are going to try a Mackís clone this weekend.  :) Let us all know how your slightly sharp cheddar works out.  So far I like the new cheddar I tried on the Mackís clone from Tuesday of this week.  It was the Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp Cheddar that comes in a small block.

Donít worry about gaining weight from just looking at the forum.  :-D

Best of luck!

Norma

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 10:27:50 AM »
The cheese was great.  It had that little bite I seem to remember in the macks pizza (but that was this past summer so Ill have to have a redo when I can taste a macks and make a closer comparison) but there were a few complaints.  Forst, the pearlini mozz did not spread as much as the larger bococcini and i was told a shredded mozz would have been even better. Second was the blend i used was close (equal amounts of all three cheeses) but Once again if the mozz had melted better it would have been better and since it did not i should cut back on the parm.  And third, when I came home the dough had not risen at all. Not sure if I didn't let it activate enough before adding or if the yeast was just dead.  Baked it anyway and the crust had a nice bit but (in my opinion) just needed a little rise to it.  Considering the taste testers pointed out the flaws, there was no pie left for breakfast the next day!!
tom
ps  yeah i forgot to take pictures.....next time    :-[

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 01:32:06 PM »
The cheese was great.  It had that little bite I seem to remember in the macks pizza (but that was this past summer so Ill have to have a redo when I can taste a macks and make a closer comparison) but there were a few complaints.  Forst, the pearlini mozz did not spread as much as the larger bococcini and i was told a shredded mozz would have been even better. Second was the blend i used was close (equal amounts of all three cheeses) but Once again if the mozz had melted better it would have been better and since it did not i should cut back on the parm.  And third, when I came home the dough had not risen at all. Not sure if I didn't let it activate enough before adding or if the yeast was just dead.  Baked it anyway and the crust had a nice bit but (in my opinion) just needed a little rise to it.  Considering the taste testers pointed out the flaws, there was no pie left for breakfast the next day!!
tom
ps  yeah i forgot to take pictures.....next time    :-[

Fire-n-smoke,

Glad to hear your Mackís clone turned out well!  :) Not sure of why your dough didnít rise well.

Norma

pizzapan