Author Topic: Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?  (Read 22950 times)

Offline matermark

Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?
« Reply #80 on: August 18, 2012, 07:23:04 PM »
Norma, you can buy Brick Cheese as little as 8 ounces at a time from here, they sell from Amish farms in Ohio:

http://www.simplycheese.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5

Or you can buy 1lb/2.5lb/5lb pieces from its "inventor" here in different "strengths" such as mild, half aged & aged, the longer the tangier/more pungent:

http://www.widmerscheese.com/products/Vac-Pack-Mild-Specialty-Brick-1-lb.html

I think Gerrity's, Rossi's and Save-Rite (or is it Shop-Rite?) also have it, not sure the mfr.

And here's a distributor in Pittsburgh that carries Eddie's Brick Cheese in 6lb blocks for $20:

http://www.mandifoods.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=141

As of right now, what type of cheese(s) do you think is on Mack's and why?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #81 on: August 18, 2012, 08:13:22 PM »
Norma, you can buy Brick Cheese as little as 8 ounces at a time from here, they sell from Amish farms in Ohio:

http://www.simplycheese.net/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5

Or you can buy 1lb/2.5lb/5lb pieces from its "inventor" here in different "strengths" such as mild, half aged & aged, the longer the tangier/more pungent:

http://www.widmerscheese.com/products/Vac-Pack-Mild-Specialty-Brick-1-lb.html

I think Gerrity's, Rossi's and Save-Rite (or is it Shop-Rite?) also have it, not sure the mfr.

And here's a distributor in Pittsburgh that carries Eddie's Brick Cheese in 6lb blocks for $20:

http://www.mandifoods.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=141

As of right now, what type of cheese(s) do you think is on Mack's and why?

Mark,

Thanks for the links about different Brick Cheeses.  I have looked at some of them, but not all.  I donít have the supermarkets in my area that you mentioned.  One of the problems of trying Brick Cheese on a Mackís pizza is that the Brick Cheeses comes in different strengths.  I would have no idea of which one to try and what kind of cheese to blend the Brick cheese with. 

I really have no idea of what cheese Mackís now uses.  I would think it would be some kind of cheddar, or cheddar mixed with another cheese, but I have no way of knowing that information.  I thought at one point I did have the brand of cheddar Mackís uses (from a source I can not disclose), but when I tried it, it wasnít the right cheddar either.  Each cheddar I have tried when baked on a pizza changes the flavor profile.  I donít even have the dough nailed down right and am not sure what directions to go with that either.  I canít get the real Gangi sauce Mackís uses anymore either, so that complicates things even more, when I am trying to get the right crust, sauce and cheese, or cheeses.  The Gangi sauce I purchased at Bova the last time was Gangi, but not the exact kind.  Bova stopped carrying the Gangi sauce that Mackís uses.

This is only my opinion, but I think Mackís uses the same cheese, or cheeses that it did since the beginning of making their pizzas.  I havenít noticed any change in their pizzas with regards to the taste of their cheese and sauce and I have been eating their pizzas for over 50 years.  The crust can vary at times though.

Norma     
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline matermark

« Reply #82 on: August 18, 2012, 08:31:19 PM »
So you think it's a cheddar or a cheddar plus something else? If so, which cheddars have you tried that you can rule out or rule closest for that matter?

As for the Brick, I may order mild and half aged. The half aged should give a good starting point--mild is mild & buttery and fully aged is on the other end of the spectrum, closer to limburger. Or I may just order the $20 loaf or a couple pounds from the Amish place.

Have you ever tried calling any distributors in NJ or that service the wildwood area and ask to see their product catalog/list? You can always say you are thinking of opening up a new place in NJ. Or try to procure a phone book from out there, or search online...
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 08:34:08 PM by matermark »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: August 18, 2012, 09:21:01 PM »
So you think it's a cheddar or a cheddar plus something else? If so, which cheddars have you tried that you can rule out or rule closest for that matter?

As for the Brick, I may order mild and half aged. The half aged should give a good starting point--mild is mild & buttery and fully aged is on the other end of the spectrum, closer to limburger. Or I may just order the $20 loaf or a couple pounds from the Amish place.

Have you ever tried calling any distributors in NJ or that service the wildwood area and ask to see their product catalog/list? You can always say you are thinking of opening up a new place in NJ. Or try to procure a phone book from out there, or search online...

Mark,

I am at the point that I really donít know if Mackís is using all cheddar or mixing other cheeses.  It gets frustrating after awhile, at least for me. It could be that Mackís is using Brick cheese, but I sure donít know.  I couldnít even list all the cheddars I tried so far.  You can if you want to, go on the boardwalk thread and just put cheddar in the search box on that thread.  The search engine on this forum should come up where anytime cheddar was mentioned.  This is just my opinion and maybe Peteís, but Mackís cheese and Papa Dinoís taste the same.  I was at Papa Dinoís (in Lancaster, Pa.) in the past few weeks and now am trying to figure out what kind of cheddar they use. 

I wish you luck if you try different Brick cheeses.   :)

I did try calling different distributors in the area around the boardwalks in NJ and even told them I had planned on opening a pizza business near the shore and asked about different cheddars.  That method just took too long and since I donít know who really is Mackís distributor, or distributors I gave up on that.  There are too many distributors.  Even trying to figure out who Papa Dinoís distributor might be in my area is hard.

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #84 on: August 18, 2012, 10:35:46 PM »
Instead of talking on the phone, I would just ask for a complete list of products, or cheeses if they only supply the cheese, either by mail, fax or website address, from multiple distributors. (When I built computers, I would fax HUNDREDS of Silicon Valley distributors between 11pm-7am at the cheapest phone rates back then for current prices via computer without ever talking to anyone! Same thing when I built a race car, asking for parts at mfr cost in exchange for "wearing" their decals on race night.) Then you can look the lists over and rule out certain types, brands, and varieties at your own pace. You can even draw up geographic similarities and common varieties, even if they weren't on your radar screen.

Then narrow down the distrubutors and ask what their most popular top 5 or most sold arel most popular and most sold are not necessarily the same. Then ask if there are any accounts that have proprietary blends, see if distributors will admit it, and if so ask if they can say either who has them, or what they are made of without getting into blend % details, i.e. white cheddar & mozz, but no % #s.

Doing the questioning by e-mail insulates you from any personal info or fear of saying the wrong things immediately, or showing emotions.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: August 18, 2012, 11:09:45 PM »
Instead of talking on the phone, I would just ask for a complete list of products, or cheeses if they only supply the cheese, either by mail, fax or website address, from multiple distributors. (When I built computers, I would fax HUNDREDS of Silicon Valley distributors between 11pm-7am at the cheapest phone rates back then for current prices via computer without ever talking to anyone! Same thing when I built a race car, asking for parts at mfr cost in exchange for "wearing" their decals on race night.) Then you can look the lists over and rule out certain types, brands, and varieties at your own pace. You can even draw up geographic similarities and common varieties, even if they weren't on your radar screen.

Then narrow down the distrubutors and ask what their most popular top 5 or most sold arel most popular and most sold are not necessarily the same. Then ask if there are any accounts that have proprietary blends, see if distributors will admit it, and if so ask if they can say either who has them, or what they are made of without getting into blend % details, i.e. white cheddar & mozz, but no % #s.

Doing the questioning by e-mail insulates you from any personal info or fear of saying the wrong things immediately, or showing emotions.

Mark,

Thanks for your ideas of asking for a complete list of products by mail or fax.  For one thing I donít have a fax machine that works and for another thing many distributors want to you to talk to a salesperson.  At least that is what I found so far.  Some distributors have their products listed on their websites in pdf. documents. Some donít.  Many pizzerias wouldn't want distributors to give out any information about what goes into their pizzas.  I can understand why that is. 

All of this takes a lot of time.

Like I said in an earlier post, all this is starting to get frustrating to me in trying to make the best MackĎs attempt I can.  Even if I would find exactly what cheese or cheeses Mackís uses on their pizzas, my crust and sauce arenít right now.  With one variable such as the sauce, it can throw the whole flavor profile off.  My long term goal was to make a Mackís attempt that home pizza makers can make.  If they have to purchase cheeses, sauces, or sometimes flours, from distributors, most of them couldnít do that.  To try and make the best Mackís attempt for professionals to just copy and then start their own pizza businesses is also useless in my opinion.  Mackís has gained a reputation with their pizzas and for just anyone to come to the forum and copy it isnít the best thing either, at least in my opinion.   If I happen to hit on something that works, on one of my attempts, I will post about it.  I would still like to be able to make a decent Mackís clone for home pizza makers with ingredients they might be able to find.  I know that sounds like a tall task, but is still my long term goal.  If I canít ever make a exact Mackís clone pizza, that is okay with me too.

Norma   

Offline matermark

« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2012, 12:07:31 AM »
On this thread on: June 03, 2012, 11:57:15 AM you said your friend in Trenton was bringing you Great Lakes Sharp Cheddar and that he felt that plus mozz tasted like Mack's. Did you get the Great Lakes and mix it with mozz and how close was that for you? I think they sell that at Price-Rite here. That was the last post about cheddar you made HERE, in the cheese thread. Have you changed cheese since June 3rd? I still scratch my head wondering why this thread was removed from the NJ Boardwalk Pizza thread; I think I was talking that OF pizza, 1 state over from NJ, was reported by some to be using Brick cheese, and that there may be a connection, and that all got removed anyway I think!

Rereading your post, am I interpreting you are worried that a pro will copy your results and open a shop that tastes just like Mack's, but you DO want a home pizza maker to be able to make a Mack's clone? I'm a home pizza maker and I don't even think I can buy the same flour you are using, nor the sauce! I hope you don't get cold feet about the Mack's clone...

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2012, 08:32:50 AM »
On this thread on: June 03, 2012, 11:57:15 AM you said your friend in Trenton was bringing you Great Lakes Sharp Cheddar and that he felt that plus mozz tasted like Mack's. Did you get the Great Lakes and mix it with mozz and how close was that for you? I think they sell that at Price-Rite here. That was the last post about cheddar you made HERE, in the cheese thread. Have you changed cheese since June 3rd? I still scratch my head wondering why this thread was removed from the NJ Boardwalk Pizza thread; I think I was talking that OF pizza, 1 state over from NJ, was reported by some to be using Brick cheese, and that there may be a connection, and that all got removed anyway I think!

Rereading your post, am I interpreting you are worried that a pro will copy your results and open a shop that tastes just like Mack's, but you DO want a home pizza maker to be able to make a Mack's clone? I'm a home pizza maker and I don't even think I can buy the same flour you are using, nor the sauce! I hope you don't get cold feet about the Mack's clone...

Mark,

I posted on the boardwalk thread at Reply 1128 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg195356.html#msg195356 about a blend of Great Lakes cheddar and the Nasonville cheddar my friend tried, but I havenít tried that blend yet.  I havenít decided if I want to try that blend for Tuesday or not.  

My daughter did purchase me Great Lakes Sharp cheddar that I posted about at Reply 1080 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg191222.html#msg191222 and tried it on a Mackís attempt at Reply 1098 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg192494.html#msg192494

Pete posted he is trying to find Brick cheese in his area (which isnít far from me) at Reply 1233 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg202634.html#msg202634

I think the cheese part of the Mackís postings were taken off the boardwalk thread when you posted at Reply 25 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13499.msg135517.html#msg135517  or shortly there after.  I really donít recall you posting about brick cheddar being one state away on the Mackís thread and it being removed.  

I know I am still posting on cheeses on the Mackís thread, but only if I try something, or find out something different about a cheese to try.  Of course, I do answer other posts from other members on the boardwalk thread if I can.  

If you havenít already, and want to find out about Papa Dinoís, (which I think might use the same cheese as Mackís) this is the thread I was posting about Papa Dinoís. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,20093.0.html

I am not really worried about a pro copying my results, but they would have to read though all the posts on the Mackís thread and this thread if they really want to now what all is involved.  Most people come to this forum to find a recipe and everything all in one place.  If they want to try and make a Mackís pizza, (as I have done) they are going to have to do some reading.   :-D

I donít usually get cold feet, but donít know if I will be ever able to make a decent Mackís clone for anyone.  That is my long term goal though, to be able to make a decent Mackís attempt for the home pizza maker, if I can first make one with the ingredients I can purchase and then somehow use regular ingredients home pizza makers can purchase.  I donít know if you tried any of the formulations set-forth by Peter or me, but they do a make tasty pizza, even if they arenít exactly the same as a Mackís pizza.  I had tried Walmartís tomato paste (to replace the Gangi sauce) in an attempt for a Mackís pizza with added ingredients and that was pretty tasty.

If you are just posting to find out what kind of cheese Old Forge uses, then my posts to you really arenít any good. If I stumble on something that might be like Old Forge it will just happen.  I never ate an Old Forge pizza, so I have no idea how they taste.  I do make Sicilian pizzas at market though and do use cheddar and mozzarella on them.  If you are interested in seeing my Sicilian pies you can look at that board.

As I told you in my other post, just used the search box feature at the top of each thread to put search words in what you might be hunting for.  That is what I do to be able to find some posts I posted on for you.  I also see other members posts that have the same word, or words I search.

Norma
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 08:35:04 AM by norma427 »

Offline matermark

« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2012, 11:26:28 AM »
My reply at #25 was in reply to yours at 24 when you stated "I canít comment on what other members might be thinking, but my priority isnít finding the exact cheese Mackís uses anymore...." That was after 2 years of the NJ Boarkwalk Pizza thread and counting. Two posts earlier Wizardrummer suggested,

"If I lived in the area and I had plenty of time to do this I would hang at the store and wait for a delivery truck that delivers the cheese; that is unless the people that own the pizza place go out at midnight in unmarked vans to pick up the cheese at the airport.

When the driver was finished I would ask him two questions 1) who is the salesman for this route and 2) you want to make 20 bucks? If he says yes you say "What brand of cheese does this place use?"

If the driver doesn't take the nibble maybe you could say to the salesman that you're wanting to set up an account and start and open a store; the question becomes can I buy the same cheese that this store uses?"

I know you don't live in the area.

My point about the Brick cheese then (& now) was that we both find a cheese or cheese blend eluding us yet it appears Brick may have been used as far back in PA (bordering NJ) as 50+ years ago. Yet I have never heard of it until the OF Pizza thread, or after asking in some PA supermarkets what kind of cheese they'd recommend. I think if someone is trying to hide what kind of cheese they use, it's something long forgotten, something uncommon, or it's something SOOO obvious.

I hope you succeed at finding a Mack's clone!

I will try it when you think you have a pretty close resemblance.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2012, 11:41:04 AM »
My reply at #25 was in reply to yours at 24 when you stated "I canít comment on what other members might be thinking, but my priority isnít finding the exact cheese Mackís uses anymore...." That was after 2 years of the NJ Boarkwalk Pizza thread and counting. Two posts earlier Wizardrummer suggested,

"If I lived in the area and I had plenty of time to do this I would hang at the store and wait for a delivery truck that delivers the cheese; that is unless the people that own the pizza place go out at midnight in unmarked vans to pick up the cheese at the airport.

When the driver was finished I would ask him two questions 1) who is the salesman for this route and 2) you want to make 20 bucks? If he says yes you say "What brand of cheese does this place use?"

If the driver doesn't take the nibble maybe you could say to the salesman that you're wanting to set up an account and start and open a store; the question becomes can I buy the same cheese that this store uses?"

I know you don't live in the area.

My point about the Brick cheese then (& now) was that we both find a cheese or cheese blend eluding us yet it appears Brick may have been used as far back in PA (bordering NJ) as 50+ years ago. Yet I have never heard of it until the OF Pizza thread, or after asking in some PA supermarkets what kind of cheese they'd recommend. I think if someone is trying to hide what kind of cheese they use, it's something long forgotten, something uncommon, or it's something SOOO obvious.

I hope you succeed at finding a Mack's clone!

I will try it when you think you have a pretty close resemblance.

Mark,

What you might not understand is that 42 lb. blocks of cheddar just come in plain brown boxes, that only tell the code of the plant where they were produced on the box and then another code of what kind of cheese it is.  If someone even waited outside Mackís for a delivery they would not be able to tell what kind of cheese, or cheeses Mackís might be using.  Only dumpster driving might find out what cheese, or cheeses Mackís uses.  If you look on the boardwalk thread you can see the two big blocks of cheddar I did purchase and you will only see code numbers on those boxes. 

Brick might be the cheese, but I donít even know if it comes in 42 lb. blocks.  If Brick cheese is used it would have to be blended with another cheese in my opinion.  I saw at Papa Dinoís they also use big blocks of cheese on their pizzas.  My friends and I think by the taste it is cheddar.  Did you look at the Papa Dinoís thread?

I heard of brick cheese before, but never went searching about it.   You may be right about the brick cheese, but I sure donít know. 

Thanks for the best of luck with the Mackís pizza.  :)

Norma

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #90 on: August 20, 2012, 10:36:44 AM »
Didn't make it to wildwood this weekend....instead had a date fixing a hole in my roof  :(  Anyway, weather person says we are to have nice weather wed, thurs and fri so I am hoping to finish up some work, get the harley out and head to wildwood/Mack's to get my summer fix of mack's pizza.  I'll let you know about the cheese and sauce when I get back.
tom

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #91 on: August 20, 2012, 12:09:28 PM »
Didn't make it to wildwood this weekend....instead had a date fixing a hole in my roof  :(  Anyway, weather person says we are to have nice weather wed, thurs and fri so I am hoping to finish up some work, get the harley out and head to wildwood/Mack's to get my summer fix of mack's pizza.  I'll let you know about the cheese and sauce when I get back.
tom

Tom,

Sorry, to hear about your roof leak!  :(  That sounds like fun riding the Harley to Wildwood.   ;D 

Thanks for saying you will check out the cheese and sauce and let us know if you find anything out when you get back.   ;)

I wanted to ask you a question, if you don't mind me asking.  How many years have you been eating Mackís pizza?  Do you remember when they used to bake in deck ovens?  I am curious because I wonder if it is just my memories of going to Wildwood (over 50 years) when I was young and if is why I like Mackís pizza so much, or if it really is the blend of cheese and sauce Mackís uses.  I always reference Mackís pizza being my favorite, even since I have been to NYC many times in the last 15 years, and have tasted many NY style pizzas in Brooklyn and around NYC.  Do you think somehow memories play a part of what kind of pizza you really like? 

Norma

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #92 on: August 20, 2012, 04:13:04 PM »
Tom,

Sorry, to hear about your roof leak!  :(  That sounds like fun riding the Harley to Wildwood.   ;D 

Thanks for saying you will check out the cheese and sauce and let us know if you find anything out when you get back.   ;)

I wanted to ask you a question, if you don't mind me asking.  How many years have you been eating Mackís pizza?  Do you remember when they used to bake in deck ovens?  I am curious because I wonder if it is just my memories of going to Wildwood (over 50 years) when I was young and if is why I like Mackís pizza so much, or if it really is the blend of cheese and sauce Mackís uses.  I always reference Mackís pizza being my favorite, even since I have been to NYC many times in the last 15 years, and have tasted many NY style pizzas in Brooklyn and around NYC.  Do you think somehow memories play a part of what kind of pizza you really like? 

Norma

Started going there when I was around eight so 45 years atleast..... I remember the deck ovens were at the one on the corner of glenwood and the boardwalk.  Also I think they had deck ovens further south on the boards; towards the convention center.  As for the one that is left I remember that being the original oven.  I do remember years back that the pizza was not as oil-ly (if thats a word) but then again, atleast to me, the pizza is as good as it was back then.  As for the sauce, i do remember at one of the places there seemed to be tomatoe seeds in it, but then again that was a long time ago.  As for memories playing a part in it, i do believe they do.  It takes me back to the time when I would walk back and forth all night, stopping at Mack's as well as the Hot Spot for a sausage sandwich, then later at night my mom would say we need more pizza!  So i would walk up the ramp (we stayed at the Handy Haven on Glenwood right at the boards) pick up a few slices and we'd sit listening to the crowds and the seagulls.  And of course you cannot forget the PA Dutch Birch Beer; it was sacrilege to eat Mack's without it!  As for memories being a part of the pizza I like.... maybe.  The pizza, in my opinion is still one of the best but I do have other favorite places to eat great pizza.  But when I do have my Mack's, it does remind me of when there was no responsibilities (mom and pop were paying the bills!), when I had no worries in the world (except for if I was going to ride the golden nugget train or the roller coaster) and everyone seemed to be so happy and friendly....so i guess that is why I like it too, because it makes me smile!  Hope I didn't ramble on to much   :D
tom

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #93 on: August 20, 2012, 06:05:18 PM »

Started going there when I was around eight so 45 years atleast..... I remember the deck ovens were at the one on the corner of glenwood and the boardwalk.  Also I think they had deck ovens further south on the boards; towards the convention center.  As for the one that is left I remember that being the original oven.  I do remember years back that the pizza was not as oil-ly (if thats a word) but then again, atleast to me, the pizza is as good as it was back then.  As for the sauce, i do remember at one of the places there seemed to be tomatoe seeds in it, but then again that was a long time ago.  As for memories playing a part in it, i do believe they do.  It takes me back to the time when I would walk back and forth all night, stopping at Mack's as well as the Hot Spot for a sausage sandwich, then later at night my mom would say we need more pizza!  So i would walk up the ramp (we stayed at the Handy Haven on Glenwood right at the boards) pick up a few slices and we'd sit listening to the crowds and the seagulls.  And of course you cannot forget the PA Dutch Birch Beer; it was sacrilege to eat Mack's without it!  As for memories being a part of the pizza I like.... maybe.  The pizza, in my opinion is still one of the best but I do have other favorite places to eat great pizza.  But when I do have my Mack's, it does remind me of when there was no responsibilities (mom and pop were paying the bills!), when I had no worries in the world (except for if I was going to ride the golden nugget train or the roller coaster) and everyone seemed to be so happy and friendly....so i guess that is why I like it too, because it makes me smile!  Hope I didn't ramble on to much   :D
tom

Tom,

Thanks so much for your post.  I thoroughly enjoyed your detailed post.  ;D I am glad that you also think Mackís pizza is one of the best. 

I wonder what other members of the forum would think of a Mackís pizza if they had a chance to eat a hot slice. 

I thought it might just me that remembers Mackís pizza so fondly from so many years ago and still likes it today.  At least there are two of us now that have about the same memories from years ago.  I also remember the smell of Mackís from many years ago, and I still think Mackís has the same smell after all these years.  To me it is that cheese smell I think that really gets to me.  My parents always either took some my cousins (from a family of 11), or my brothers and my friends along to the shore and we always ate at Mackís.   

They still serve Pa. Dutch Birch Beer in my area and I also like it. 

I donít know if you have seen recently that Adam Kuban of Slice also likes Mackís pizza now.  Since he has tried so many pizzas, I would think he would be a good judge of if Mackís pizzas are a really good pizza or not.

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2012, 07:35:22 PM »
Since brick cheddar is the one cheese neither of us have tried yet, Norma, the process of elimination and just plain logic should dictate that we do.  LOL   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2012, 10:33:05 PM »
Since brick cheddar is the one cheese neither of us have tried yet, Norma, the process of elimination and just plain logic should dictate that we do.  LOL   ;D

Pete,

I guess we can try brick cheese, but am still not sure if the cheese isn't some kind of other cheddar.  I will go along though.

Norma

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2012, 11:19:50 PM »
Pete,

I guess we can try brick cheese, but am still not sure if the cheese isn't some kind of other cheddar.  I will go along though.

Norma

I could go through the list of all the different cheeses including the various brands of standard mild, sharp, and extra-sharp cheddar I've tried on pizzas already since I was a kid, Norma, but it's much easier just to say I've never used brick.  LOL   :)

I know I've eaten it already on other pizzas but I never knew exactly what it was.   ;D

Offline matermark

« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2012, 11:21:34 PM »
Wait until I get dist info from Widmer's and receive the Amish Brick cheese I ordered... if it is mild, then order the half-aged or fully-aged from Widmer's.

The Brick from the Amish place, for 3 lbs of cheese and a lb of beef sticks (like Slim Jims?) only costed $6.50 S/H and they took Paypal and are only 1-2 days delivery zone.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:26:07 PM by matermark »

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2012, 11:40:31 PM »
Wait until I get dist info from Widmer's and receive the Amish Brick cheese I ordered... if it is mild, then order the half-aged or fully-aged from Widmer's.

The Brick from the Amish place, for 3 lbs of cheese and a lb of beef sticks (like Slim Jims?) only costed $6.50 S/H and they took Paypal and are only 1-2 days delivery zone.

I think we'd want to stick with the mild, Matermark.  Once upon a time I put aged provolone on a pizza and let me tell you what...  LOL   :)

Going back fifty or sixty years, I'm willing to bet many of these old-time pizza guys knew each other due to them serving together in World War II and Korea and were more willing to share secrets than perhaps nowadays, especially if they all had shops in different towns and didn't really compete with one another.

Sounds like a pretty good deal for that order!!!   ;D
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 11:51:57 PM by PowerWagonPete »

Offline matermark

« Reply #99 on: August 21, 2012, 01:32:28 AM »
Forgot to say... got an e-mail Monday evening:

Comments:
Thank you for your order! It has shipped. We hope you enjoy it.

So hope to see it Wednesday. Unfortunately my driver appears late, around 5:30-6:30pm. Hope it requires a signature because otherwise he usually throws it on the porch & drives away without ringing the bell.

pizzapan