Author Topic: Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?  (Read 22430 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?
« Reply #60 on: May 24, 2012, 05:45:27 PM »
For anyone that might be interested what the man said to me when he gave me a call back late this afternoon from Nasonville, this is what he said.  I first told him I really liked the 42.90 lb. block of cheddar cheese I purchased for the first time and did like how it melted and had the buttery taste, but said I would have liked a little more tang when the cheddar was baked on a pizza.  He told me if I wanted a little more tang then what I wanted was the same cheddar with Asiago added.  He said that is their most popular cheddar for pizzas and many pizza businesses in NY and NJ do use that cheese on their pizzas.  He said the added Asiago gives the cheddar the nice tang.  I also asked him what date my cheddar block was made and told him there were 3 dates on the box I purchased.  He said the white tag was when the cheddar was made, which was with the plant number on and was dated 3/08/2012.  I asked him if my cheddar was aged long enough and he said actually it was a little older than he would have liked.  I told him it was purchased at Bova Foods, Inc. and he said he would talk to Sal about my cheddar being older than he would have liked.  I also asked him if Bova Foods, Inc. does sell the kind of cheddar with the Asiago added and he said no, but would have a sample shipped there for me.  I told him I live quite a distance from Bova and my usual distributor Hometown Provisions, Inc. doesnít sell the Nasonville brand of cheddar.  He then said he would arrange with the girls to have some samples sent to my home.  I said I would talk to my distributor about carrying the Nasonville brand of cheddar with the added Asiago.  I then asked him if there is any cheese that they sell online that would be close to the kind of cheddar with Asiago, because some of my customers buy dough balls and want a good cheese to make pizzas at home.  He said the Pizza Cheese is the same. http://www.nasonvilledairy.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=50&product_id=63  Whether that is so or not, I guess we will soon find out, because my friend in Trenton also ordered some.  After I get my sample I also will purchase some to compare it.  My friend did call Nasonville and talked to Brenda and she said the Pizza Cheese is the same product as is sold in 42.90 blocks.  The man told me that when he is at the Pizza Convention each year in Las Vegas, the cheddar with the Asiago added is the most popular cheese they sell to pizzerias.  He also said most Asiago cheeses arenít as creamy and smooth as Nasonvilleís Asiago cheese.  I know I did purchase a 5 lb. block of Asiago cheese one time from my distributor and blended it with the mozzarellas and did really like it, but the Asiago cheese was more expensive than the mozzarellas, so I didnít purchase any after the one time.  I can imagine that the Asiago does give the Nasionville cheddar a nice tang when it is baked on a pizza. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Bob1

« Reply #61 on: May 24, 2012, 07:38:43 PM »
Wow Norma, you are really something with the legwork.  I appreciate your post.  I am currently using a 50/50 blend of various Mozz with Grande diced cheddar blend.  If you like this and ever buy the Asiago blend I would love to buy 5 or 10lbs if you do not mind.

Thanks,

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: May 24, 2012, 08:10:58 PM »
Wow Norma, you are really something with the legwork.  I appreciate your post.  I am currently using a 50/50 blend of various Mozz with Grande diced cheddar blend.  If you like this and ever buy the Asiago blend I would love to buy 5 or 10lbs if you do not mind.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

The cheddar hunt has been going on for over two years and I am not sure if it is done.  Until I try the Nasonville cheddar Asiago blend, or other members that are familiar with Mackís or Manco and Manco pizzas try the Nasonville Pizza Blend cheese from Nasonvilleís website, then we will know if the cheddar blend is right.  It would be nice if this is the right cheese blend because then other members could purchase the cheddar Asiago blend (Pizza Cheese) if they want to try a Mackís or Manco and Manco pizza. 

Right now I canít purchase any big block of the Nasonville cheddar Asiago blend either.  I am going to try and convince my distributor to carry it if it is the right cheese.  After I am finished with the big block of the Nasonville cheddar I have now, if I can purchase the cheddar Asiago blend you sure can have some.

Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2012, 07:00:24 AM »
Thanks Norma, For now I will try to find the pizza blend locally.  I called Wegmans because of the variety they carry, but they never heard of it.  I would hope someone local would have it. 

After you started the M&M thread I tried it for the first time last year.  My wife really liked it.  I liked the crust and the cheese but was not to thrilled with sauce.  It was good but not killer for me.  For my taste the spices were too much of a contrast, but I guess it could have been the pies they were making that day.  I prefer a smooth spice that is more rounded.  It is hard to explain.  Next time I am in the area I will get another M&M and try to pay more attention to the cheese.  If it helps I tried to get some Grande Cheddar blend from Bova but they said they only order it special for one customer and it was due in on mid April.  I did not want to wait so I got a case from Stefano in NJ.  You may want to try it mixed with some mozz.  I do not know if it is the mix but it is good.  I have a spare 5lb original bag in the freezer.  If you want I can come up to the market next week and I can swap you for 5lbs of the Nasonville.  I guess the holiday probably messes up the market.  If so maybe in two weeks.

On a side note, when you are trying to clone a complex sauce try getting some straight and freezing it.  When frozen you can pick up different flavors as it warms up. 

Thanks,

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #64 on: May 25, 2012, 07:29:06 AM »
Thanks Norma, For now I will try to find the pizza blend locally.  I called Wegmans because of the variety they carry, but they never heard of it.  I would hope someone local would have it. 

After you started the M&M thread I tried it for the first time last year.  My wife really liked it.  I liked the crust and the cheese but was not to thrilled with sauce.  It was good but not killer for me.  For my taste the spices were too much of a contrast, but I guess it could have been the pies they were making that day.  I prefer a smooth spice that is more rounded.  It is hard to explain.  Next time I am in the area I will get another M&M and try to pay more attention to the cheese.  If it helps I tried to get some Grande Cheddar blend from Bova but they said they only order it special for one customer and it was due in on mid April.  I did not want to wait so I got a case from Stefano in NJ.  You may want to try it mixed with some mozz.  I do not know if it is the mix but it is good.  I have a spare 5lb original bag in the freezer.  If you want I can come up to the market next week and I can swap you for 5lbs of the Nasonville.  I guess the holiday probably messes up the market.  If so maybe in two weeks.

On a side note, when you are trying to clone a complex sauce try getting some straight and freezing it.  When frozen you can pick up different flavors as it warms up. 

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

I guess you could blend some Asiago with white cheddar to see what happens.  I still am not sure the Nasonville cheddar with Asiago is the right kind of cheese that is used on the boardwalk thread. 

Did you try a real pizza from Manco and Manco?  I know the sauce is different, but for me I like how it blends with the cheese.  Everyone has their own different tastes though in sauces and cheeses.  If you want we could swap your Grande Cheddar for some of the Nasonville cheddar.  Let me know if you are coming to market, so I could bring extra along.  Holidays donít usually mess up market, but if the weekend is nice not as many customers will be there.  Most of the time they have spent their money on something else.  I will be at market most of the day Tuesday, but do have to skip out for a little to feed the dogs and let them out.  My daughter is going on a trip until next Tuesday night, so at some point I have to leave market and let the dogs out. 

Thanks for the tip on trying to clone sauces and what methods to use.  :)

Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #65 on: May 25, 2012, 07:52:38 AM »
Norma,
Not quite sure I know what you mean by a real Mack and Manco.  I went to the one at Ocean City on the North end of the boardwalk.  I had a slice there and got two pies to go.  My usual MO for trying a place.  I like to see how they hold up in the fridge and the freezer. 

Tuesday sounds good.  Let me know what time is good.  I may have an appointment in Philly early but I could be there around noon.

Thanks,

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #66 on: May 25, 2012, 08:15:59 AM »
Norma,
Not quite sure I know what you mean by a real Mack and Manco.  I went to the one at Ocean City on the North end of the boardwalk.  I had a slice there and got two pies to go.  My usual MO for trying a place.  I like to see how they hold up in the fridge and the freezer. 

Tuesday sounds good.  Let me know what time is good.  I may have an appointment in Philly early but I could be there around noon.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

Sorry, I didnít know that you went to Ocean City to try Manco and Manco pizzas. 

Tuesday around noon is also good with me.  I probably wonít leave market to take care of the dogs until about 3:00 pm.  Steve will be at market too, so you also can talk to him.

Norma

Offline Bob1

« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2012, 08:31:56 AM »
Sounds good.  I will bring some frozen samples of places I have tried that are unique.  We can have a reheat party.  It will be nice to meet Steve.

Thanks,

Bob

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #68 on: May 25, 2012, 09:10:02 AM »
Sounds good.  I will bring some frozen samples of places I have tried that are unique.  We can have a reheat party.  It will be nice to meet Steve.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,

Sounds good to me too.  :) I might be doing some experimental pizzas while you are at market too, all depending how what is going on.  I think another member might be coming around 12:00 pm too. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2012, 10:31:03 AM »
Bob1 had brought some Grande Brand Italian Blends (Cheddar Blend) to market Tuesday, as I posted about at  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,19389.0.html   I just took a smaller Lehmann dough ball and oiled a steel pan and used grated Nasonville cheddar with some grated Asiago cheese (at a blend of about 2 to 1) for one side of the pizza and Bobís Cheddar Blend for the other side of the pie.  The side with the little bits of pepperoni was the side that had Bobís Cheddar Blend.  While Bobís Cheddar blend and the Nasonville cheddar blend with Asiago both tasted good baked on the pie, but the taste wasnít anything like Mackís pizza.  I know this wasnít really a good test because it wasnít a regular NY style pizza.  We did use Gangi sauce also for the sauce.  Of course, the cheese wasnít put on in layers either.  Both pictures with the slices of pies are Bobís Cheddar cheese blend in the front of the picture.  Bobís Grande Cheddar blend is very good baked on a pie.

Somehow the dough in the steel pan must have ballooned some and the bottom didnít brown evenly.  I remember this happening with one of Steveís pies in a steel pan too. 

Norma   

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2012, 10:32:39 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2012, 10:34:26 AM »
Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: June 03, 2012, 11:57:15 AM »
This post is just to report that my friend in Trenton, NJ did call me and did purchase and try the Pizza Cheese from Nasonville and said it doesnít taste like Mackís or Manco and Manco when it was baked on a pizza.  He also said the Pizza Cheese did melt very well and did taste good on the pizza, but it wasnít like the cheese we are searching for.  My friend from Trenton, NJ is coming to market this Tuesday and I am going to make another attempt on a Mackís pie Tuesday.  My friend told me he thinks the Great Lakes sharp cheddar in combination with a good mozzarella does taste almost like a Mackís pizza in the cheese.  He is going to bring me some of the Great Lakes sharp cheddar to try.  I canít find any Great Lakes sharp cheddar in my area, but he purchases his at a Shop Rite in NJ.

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #73 on: August 16, 2012, 10:51:18 AM »
Any updates since the last post?

Have you tried Brick yet?

Have you tried any varieties from Empire or Great Lakes? I find them locally here at some corner markets as well as Price-Rite. I think they may be related and Empire I believe is in Cuba, NY (southwest NY, not far from the PA border.)
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 10:56:14 AM by matermark »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: August 16, 2012, 01:29:26 PM »
Any updates since the last post?

Have you tried Brick yet?

Have you tried any varieties from Empire or Great Lakes? I find them locally here at some corner markets as well as Price-Rite. I think they may be related and Empire I believe is in Cuba, NY (southwest NY, not far from the PA border.)

Mark,

Not really any updates from my last post.  I have some Great Lakes and also did try some Great Lakes.  Did you ever taste a Mackís or Manco and Manco pizza?  I have tried so many kinds of cheddars and donít know what direction I will go in the next attempt.  Purchasing all those cheese can get fairly expensive.  If you ever tasted Mackís or Manco and Manco, maybe you could try some of the cheeses you mentioned.

I had called Nasonville different times and left voice mails, but no one ever gets back to me anymore.  I think I am finished in trying to call them.

Trying to duplicate a pizza you have no real information about can be very challenging.  If there were some kind of Nutrition Facts, or other information it would help more.  Mackís or Manco an Manco have no Nutrition Facts.  I could try many cheeses and still not find the right one.

Norma

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2012, 04:14:01 PM »
Norma,
I will be heading to wildwood this weekend and i'll try again and see if i can get some type of answer from someone at Mack's.  Wish I was younger and better looking then I might be able to get an answer from one of the young girls that waitress there.  Unfortunately I came up a dollar short and a day (more like years) late......but i'll try anyway   :D
tom

Offline matermark

« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2012, 04:18:17 PM »
Mark,

Not really any updates from my last post.  I have some Great Lakes and also did try some Great Lakes.  Did you ever taste a Mackís or Manco and Manco pizza?  I have tried so many kinds of cheddars and donít know what direction I will go in the next attempt.  Purchasing all those cheese can get fairly expensive.  If you ever tasted Mackís or Manco and Manco, maybe you could try some of the cheeses you mentioned.

I had called Nasonville different times and left voice mails, but no one ever gets back to me anymore.  I think I am finished in trying to call them.

Trying to duplicate a pizza you have no real information about can be very challenging.  If there were some kind of Nutrition Facts, or other information it would help more.  Mackís or Manco an Manco have no Nutrition Facts.  I could try many cheeses and still not find the right one.

Norma

Norma, sorry, I've never been to NJ nor tried Mack's or M&M's pizzas but have been following your thread pretty closely but may have missed something since this thread got torn out of the NJ Boarkwalk Pizza thread of yours.. I'm still trying to find the Old Forge pizza's cheese (Brick? White cheddar? Many of the OF places are not American cheese like some here say.)

I think my local corner market had Empire in 5lb blocks for $15 last year but don't remember which kinds though.

I don't recall--I was wondering if you have ever tried Brick cheese on your Mack's clone yet (not the shape but the actual type name...) I bought some before from Rossi's Supermarket in Old Forge, Pa. I don't know if it is a cheddar, it uses a process most other cheeses don't use. Some say it's the "secret" cheese of pizza places in the northeast.

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2012, 04:30:42 PM »
Norma,
I will be heading to wildwood this weekend and i'll try again and see if i can get some type of answer from someone at Mack's.  Wish I was younger and better looking then I might be able to get an answer from one of the young girls that waitress there.  Unfortunately I came up a dollar short and a day (more like years) late......but i'll try anyway   :D
tom

Tom,

Good to hear you will be heading to Wildwood this weekend to eat some Mackís pizza.  I had tried to purchase a dough ball, but no one would sell me one.  I really donít think MackĎs would do this, but maybe they could give you a little sauce and a little cheese to add to your pizza.  If you could taste them without them being baked that would be helpful.  Also if you can, could you watch and see how thick or thin that sauce looks coming out of the hose?  I had thought it was a lot thicker, but now believe it is a lot thinner from my visit to Papa Dinoís.  I donít really think the young waitresses know what ingredients Mackís really uses.  They are probably just summer workers, but if you can ask about the cheese it might be helpful

Donít worry about being better looking or younger.  I am not better looking and I am also older.

Have fun while you are at the shore and also eating Mackís pizza!  ;D

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2012, 04:34:01 PM »
Norma, sorry, I've never been to NJ nor tried Mack's or M&M's pizzas but have been following your thread pretty closely but may have missed something since this thread got torn out of the NJ Boarkwalk Pizza thread of yours.. I'm still trying to find the Old Forge pizza's cheese (Brick? White cheddar? Many of the OF places are not American cheese like some here say.)

I think my local corner market had Empire in 5lb blocks for $15 last year but don't remember which kinds though.

I don't recall--I was wondering if you have ever tried Brick cheese on your Mack's clone yet (not the shape but the actual type name...) I bought some before from Rossi's Supermarket in Old Forge, Pa. I don't know if it is a cheddar, it uses a process most other cheeses don't use. Some say it's the "secret" cheese of pizza places in the northeast.

Mark,

I really don't know what brands brick cheeses are.  I never really researched them.  I have to ask at my local supermarket and from my distrututor about brick cheeses.  It could be the secret cheese of some pizzerias.  I really don't know.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #79 on: August 18, 2012, 05:22:07 PM »
This post is just to say I didnít find any brick cheeses in my area to try on a MackĎs pizza.  I checked a few supermarkets, called my local Country Store and also called my distributor.  I had no luck.  My distributor said they donít carry any brick cheese, because pizzerias in our area of Pa. donít use brick cheese on pizzas.  My distributor said maybe they could get me a 5 lb. block from a specialty cheese company they deal with, but it would be really expensive.  I sure donít want to go to that expense just to try brick cheese on a MackĎs attempt.

Norma

pizzapan