Author Topic: Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?  (Read 22478 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?
« Reply #100 on: August 21, 2012, 06:43:28 AM »
Pete and Mark,

I donít think I have ever tasted brick on a pizza, but maybe I didnít know what the cheese was. 

Does anyone know if brick cheese come in big blocks?  I had emailed Widmerís last week and didnít get any reply so far. 

The shipping and handling from brick from the Amish place wasnít bad Mark.  I also have the same problem with shipments.  If I am not at home, they always just let it sit on my front porch, right out in the sun.

I guess pizzas operators long ago did share secrets Pete, especially if they weren't competing with each other. 

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #101 on: August 22, 2012, 12:12:25 PM »
Well guys, I found some brick in the fancy cheese case at the Palmyra Weis Markets today but it was like six bucks for half a pound.  >:(  I'm not sure how long it's been aged either so I'll have to investigate that one further.   :-\

Ann forgot to look at Redner's the other night after work so she's stopping back in there this evening.   ;D

Offline matermark

« Reply #102 on: August 22, 2012, 12:41:33 PM »
Well guys, I found some brick in the fancy cheese case at the Palmyra Weis Markets today but it was like six bucks for half a pound.  >:(  I'm not sure how long it's been aged either so I'll have to investigate that one further.   :-\

Ann forgot to look at Redner's the other night after work so she's stopping back in there this evening.   ;D

Thank God I signed up for UPS alerts because around 11am I got an e-mail a pkg was delivered! He must have threw it over the 6ft gate! If I didn't notice I had e-mail I never would have noticed it until the next time I took the puppy out!

I was surprised--the package & packing weighed more than the contents I think!

The box was lined on all 6 sides with high density foam panels like Celotex w/o the foil, and they also included a gelpack that was defrosted but still below room temp. On the receipt, it says your order may arrive warm, that it's okay & just refrigerate as soon as you get it.

I have not tasted the cheese yet... I ordered two pounds of Brick and 1lb Mild Cheddar (and 1lb beef sticks, which I DID try and thought they were very good.) I have been using the same day Rustic Ciabatta Pizza recipe the most lately, but doubled and in a 13x18 half sheet pan.

So I guess I will have to try a pizza soon!

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #103 on: August 22, 2012, 01:30:02 PM »
Thank God I signed up for UPS alerts because around 11am I got an e-mail a pkg was delivered! He must have threw it over the 6ft gate! If I didn't notice I had e-mail I never would have noticed it until the next time I took the puppy out!

The box was lined on all 6 sides with high density foam panels like Celotex w/o the foil, and they also included a gelpack that was defrosted but still below room temp. On the receipt, it says your order may arrive warm, that it's okay & just refrigerate as soon as you get it.

I have not tasted the cheese yet... I ordered two pounds of Brick and 1lb Mild Cheddar (and 1lb beef sticks, which I DID try and thought they were very good.) I have been using the same day Rustic Ciabatta Pizza recipe the most lately, but doubled and in a 13x18 half sheet pan.

I'll take a cut of Old Forge red, please!!!   ;D

Offline matermark

« Reply #104 on: August 22, 2012, 01:40:17 PM »
I'll take a cut of Old Forge red, please!!!   ;D

Middle or corner?  ;D

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #105 on: August 22, 2012, 02:22:21 PM »
Middle or corner?  ;D

HMMMM, tough choice.  Perhaps I'll have a whole tray.   8)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #106 on: August 22, 2012, 02:53:26 PM »

Peter,

That brick cheese you found at the Palmyra Weis is expensive.  I have to check at our local Weis supermarkets.  At least you found some.  I guess there is no way of determining how strong the cheese is unless you purchase it.  Maybe a deli manager could tell you where it came from.

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2012, 02:55:42 PM »
I will try either the ciabatta crust or steel_baker's Victory Pig crust and a plain sauce with just the Brick, or maybe 1/2 Brick, the other half Mild White Cheddar. I think I have Cracker Barrel Extra Sharp White if those 2 fail. But I never made a Mack's, I only tried the swirled sause before from a plastic squeeze bottle. And with a convection gas range, I don't think I can go bigger than 15" because of the fan at the rear--I'd have to rescale it. That's another reason why I go rectangular. I will have to check the weather too...looks like 80's again the rest of the week... only 73 right now...

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2012, 02:58:24 PM »

Mark,

It is good that you signed up for the UPS alert.  :) It is also good they had your purchases packaged well.  Will be interested when you try your cheeses.  Did you look at any of the other Detroit or Sicilian formulations here on the forum?

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2012, 03:11:25 PM »
I had emailed Widmerís cheese last week about their brick cheese.  This is what the email I received yesterday said.

Hi Norma: The closest distributor to you that has my Brick Cheese would be Euro Usa. There Cleveland OH number is 800-999-5939. They also have a branch in Sterling, VA which is closest to Wash DC.
Thanks for the inquiry, Joe Widmer

How would that figure in with the boardwalk pizza and their distributors?  I canít imagine those distributors would deliver to Mackís.  Does anyone know how far in distance distributors deliver?  I have no idea about this, because I purchase from different distributors locally.  I know Bova would deliver to me, but I would need a minimum order.  Maybe Mackís distributors could get a specialty cheese though and deliver to Mackís.  I am just not sure about that.  :-\

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #110 on: August 22, 2012, 04:59:21 PM »

He gave me #s for Cleveland (a few hours from me), VA (a few hrs from you) and a place in NJ, (a couple hours from Wildwood.)

These type places have their own refrigerated trucks that deliver. They even sell Caputo 00 flour, seafood, meats, etc.

I had emailed Widmerís cheese last week about their brick cheese.  This is what the email I received yesterday said.

Hi Norma: The closest distributor to you that has my Brick Cheese would be Euro Usa. There Cleveland OH number is 800-999-5939. They also have a branch in Sterling, VA which is closest to Wash DC.
Thanks for the inquiry, Joe Widmer

How would that figure in with the boardwalk pizza and their distributors?  I canít imagine those distributors would deliver to Mackís.  Does anyone know how far in distance distributors deliver?  I have no idea about this, because I purchase from different distributors locally.  I know Bova would deliver to me, but I would need a minimum order.  Maybe Mackís distributors could get a specialty cheese though and deliver to Mackís.  I am just not sure about that.  :-\

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: August 22, 2012, 08:12:29 PM »

He gave me #s for Cleveland (a few hours from me), VA (a few hrs from you) and a place in NJ, (a couple hours from Wildwood.)

These type places have their own refrigerated trucks that deliver. They even sell Caputo 00 flour, seafood, meats, etc.

Mark,

Since Joe gave you a number for a distributor in NJ, that would seem even more likely that maybe Widmer's might be a good candidate for Mack's cheese.  I wonder if they carry Gangi sauce.  ::)  

Thanks for your post!  ;)

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #112 on: August 22, 2012, 08:15:52 PM »
Bill my friend, from Trenton, NJ, called me today and was searching about brick cheese too.  He found Mandi Cheese Shop in Pittsburgh, Pa. http://www.mandifoods.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=141 and ordered a 6 lb. block of brick cheese yesterday.  He said the brick cheese was delivered today and wrapped nicely in a Styrofoam container and was cold.  Wow, fast delivery!  ;D He tasted the brick cheese and said it tastes really buttery and does have a tang.  He said he is getting company tomorrow, but will try the brick cheese from Mandi cheese shop on Friday on a pizza and will then let me know how it tastes baked on a pizza.  He is also going to call some distributors in NJ to see if they carry both Gangi sauce and also brick cheese.

Thanks Bill!  ;D

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #113 on: August 22, 2012, 10:03:14 PM »
Bill my friend, from Trenton, NJ, called me today and was searching about brick cheese too.  He found Mandi Cheese Shop in Pittsburgh, Pa. http://www.mandifoods.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=141 and ordered a 6 lb. block of brick cheese yesterday.  He said the brick cheese was delivered today and wrapped nicely in a Styrofoam container and was cold.  Wow, fast delivery!  ;D He tasted the brick cheese and said it tastes really buttery and does have a tang.  He said he is getting company tomorrow, but will try the brick cheese from Mandi cheese shop on Friday on a pizza and will then let me know how it tastes baked on a pizza.  He is also going to call some distributors in NJ to see if they carry both Gangi sauce and also brick cheese.

Thanks Bill!  ;D

Norma

I gave you the link to Mandi in Pittsburgh at the top of page 5 here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13499.msg203130.html#msg203130

They were the ones with the cheapest price per pound, I think it was a 6lb loaf for $20?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #114 on: August 22, 2012, 11:29:05 PM »
I gave you the link to Mandi in Pittsburgh at the top of page 5 here:

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13499.msg203130.html#msg203130

They were the ones with the cheapest price per pound, I think it was a 6lb loaf for $20?

Mark,

Sorry, yes you did.  :-[  Sorry, I forgot about what you posted.

I will let you and anyone else that might be interested how Bill's pizza turns out.  I think he said it was about 31.00 with shipping for the 6 lb. loaf.  At least it was shipped good and he says it tastes really good.

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #115 on: August 22, 2012, 11:52:58 PM »
i ALREADY ATE almost a half pound of mine, I couldn't stop eating it. It's hard for me to describe cheeses though.

I made an "OLD PIG VICTORY FORGE pizza" tonite but not sure where to put the pics yet.  I will try reheating it in a toaster oven tomorrow to get another taste. Half was the white cheddar and I guess I will leave cheddars to eating raw with pepperoni or crackers.

P.S. YES, that was a play on words!

Diamond liked it--she is gassing me outa my room! Better take her down, out, & in her kennel for the night before I pass out...

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #116 on: August 23, 2012, 12:03:33 AM »
i ALREADY ATE almost a half pound of mine, I couldn't stop eating it. It's hard for me to describe cheeses though.

I made an "OLD PIG VICTORY FORGE pizza" tonite but not sure where to put the pics yet.  I will try reheating it in a toaster oven tomorrow to get another taste. Half was the white cheddar and I guess I will leave cheddars to eating raw with pepperoni or crackers.

P.S. YES, that was a play on words!

Diamond liked it--she is gassing me outa my room! Better take her down, out, & in her kennel for the night before I pass out...

Mark,

Great to hear that the brick cheese is that good!  ;D  That is the same thing Bill told me today.  I guess you could either start your own post about your Old Pig Victory Forge pizza, or either post under that thread.  I am anxious to see your pizza. 

Lol, about Diamond gassing you out!   :-D

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #117 on: August 23, 2012, 12:29:33 AM »
Mark,

Great to hear that the brick cheese is that good!  ;D  That is the same thing Bill told me today.  I guess you could either start your own post about your Old Pig Victory Forge pizza, or either post under that thread.  I am anxious to see your pizza.  

Lol, about Diamond gassing you out!   :-D

Norma

I under-cheesed it and had to make a quick sauce, next time heavier on both.

Brick on the right.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 12:31:43 AM by matermark »

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #118 on: August 23, 2012, 12:31:18 AM »
Mark,

Your pizza looks really good.  :) It is the taste of the cheese that matters though.   :P

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #119 on: August 23, 2012, 11:28:16 AM »
Thanks.

I've been looking for more sellers and if you want to try something similar to the FULLY AGED Brick, maybe try Bierkase/Bier Kase/German Beer Cheese. I don't know what HALF AGED Brick would be like... maybe similar to Sharp or Extra Sharp? The one I got I would probably classify as mild, somewhere between Muenster & Provolone when eaten raw. Later I will reheat a couple slices in the toaster oven and add more Brick cheese on top first.