Author Topic: Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?  (Read 22079 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?
« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2012, 10:49:03 PM »
You know what they say about Limburger, Norma, that it smells better coming out than it does going in.   :D

Yeah, anyway...  LOL  Both of Nasonville's brick cheeses appear to be aged from the descriptions on the website so I probably wouldn't try those on a pizza, either.  That "German" brick sounds like the really potent one.

Hey, keep us posted!!!  Since you mentioned Asiago, here's the Wikipedia lowdown on that...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asiago_cheese

I guess the real stuff only comes from the Italian Alps.   ;D

Pete,

I never heard that about Limburger before, but when I tasted it one time that was enough.   :-D

I really donít think the cheese is the cheddar with Asiago either, but will wait and try the 1 year old aged white cheddar.   

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline matermark

« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2012, 10:05:03 AM »
Were there any comments on the Eddie's Brick Cheese from Mande in Pittsburgh? Norma I think your friend bought it?

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2012, 02:28:00 PM »
Were there any comments on the Eddie's Brick Cheese from Mande in Pittsburgh? Norma I think your friend bought it?

Mark,

I posted about the Mandi brick cheese at Reply 131 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13499.msg204902.html#msg204902

Norma

Offline BOARDWALKER

« Reply #143 on: August 31, 2012, 10:02:29 AM »
Norma,

Here is a link to a WISCONSIN brick cheese!

http://www.wisconsinchalet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=99

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #144 on: August 31, 2012, 11:47:44 AM »
Norma,

Here is a link to a WISCONSIN brick cheese!

http://www.wisconsinchalet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=99

BOARDWALKER,

I am almost postive that the cheddar is the Nasonville white 1 year old aged cheddar.  Did you look at the boardwalk thread?

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #145 on: August 31, 2012, 03:31:10 PM »
Norma, have you tried the Cracker Barrel Aged Reserve? It's a white cheddar that's aged and probably more available to anybody/everybody. It's in a black package. Occasionally supermarkets have the Cracker Barrel line on sale 2 for $5.

Since you're sure you've found your cheese and it's a 1 year aged white cheddar, have you tried any other aged cheddars?

Offline BOARDWALKER

« Reply #146 on: August 31, 2012, 06:01:39 PM »
Sorry Norma,

For some reason, i thought that you were mixing the Nasonville with brick cheese.

BOARDWALKER

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #147 on: August 31, 2012, 06:39:59 PM »
Norma, have you tried the Cracker Barrel Aged Reserve? It's a white cheddar that's aged and probably more available to anybody/everybody. It's in a black package. Occasionally supermarkets have the Cracker Barrel line on sale 2 for $5.

Since you're sure you've found your cheese and it's a 1 year aged white cheddar, have you tried any other aged cheddars?

Mark,

I have tried Cracker Barrel cheddar on the boardwalk thread, but can't recall what kind it was.  I know Cracker Barrel cheddar is readily available to most members.  I really don't think I am going to try other aged cheddars, unless Heagy's at market can age me some cheddar. 

If members want to purchase some Nasonville aged one year old cheddar, I think they will be happy with the results.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2012, 06:42:54 PM »
Sorry Norma,

For some reason, i thought that you were mixing the Nasonville with brick cheese.

BOARDWALKER

BOARDWALKER,

No need to apologize. These two threads can get somewhat involved and I even have a hard time remembering about what I posted from awhile ago.  :-D

Norma

Offline BOARDWALKER

« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2012, 07:18:25 PM »
Norma,

The Nasonville online store only shows the 1 Year Aged Cheddar in yellow.  Is the white 1 Year Aged Cheddar special order?

BOARDWALKER

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2012, 08:00:21 PM »
Norma,

The Nasonville online store only shows the 1 Year Aged Cheddar in yellow.  Is the white 1 Year Aged Cheddar special order?

BOARDWALKER

BOARDWALKER,

You need to ask for the 1 year old aged white cheddar.  If you can talk to Julie at the Nasonville cheese store, she is very helpful.  My friend from Trenton did order the white 1 year old aged cheddar last Friday and he received it yesterday.  I tried to order the one year old aged white cheddar on Saturday from the Nasonville cheese store and they were out of it.  You might need to check a few times to see if they have it in stock in their cheese store.

On Monday, I then spoke to someone that deals with pizza businesses.  That is how I got my samples, but I also need to order some more of the one year old white cheddar for more experiments.

Norma

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2012, 08:11:11 PM »
Norma,

It might be worth exploring whether the Nasonville yellow cheddar cheese is the same as that used by Mack's but for the color. If so, there should be virtually no difference between the performance and characteristics of the two cheeses.

Peter

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2012, 08:38:55 PM »
Norma,

It might be worth exploring whether the Nasonville yellow cheddar cheese is the same as that used by Mack's but for the color. If so, there should be virtually no difference between the performance and characteristics of the two cheeses.

Peter

Peter,

That is a good idea to explore whether Nasonvilleís yellow cheddar is exactly the same, except for the color.  I would think it would be though.  I want to place an order for some white 1 year old aged cheddar tomorrow if I find time, but will also place an order for some yellow 1 year old aged cheddar. 

I want to go over to market tomorrow to see how Steve and Bob are doing with their first mobile public operation (at the Arts and Crafts festival), but will try to call Nasonville.  If I canít get any of the white one year old age cheddar, then I might wait until I can purchase some of both cheddars at the same time.  That wouldnít be until next Wednesday.   I think it also needs repeating that if someone wants to purchase more than one package of the 1 year old aged cheddar there can be different prices for shipping, as Bill told me. 

I donít know about other members, but think the Nasonville one year old aged cheddar would be good for other types of pizzas too.  The shipping charges and the cheese prices might be too much for some members though.

I might need to call Bill again to see what he really paid for the 4 packages of cheddar and the shipping charges.

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2012, 10:16:20 PM »
Mark,

I have tried Cracker Barrel cheddar on the boardwalk thread, but can't recall what kind it was.  I know Cracker Barrel cheddar is readily available to most members.  I really don't think I am going to try other aged cheddars, unless Heagy's at market can age me some cheddar. 

If members want to purchase some Nasonville aged one year old cheddar, I think they will be happy with the results.

Norma

Maybe you tried Vermont in the yellow wrapper or Extra Sharp/Extra Sharp-White, both in red wrappers. Aged Reserve in the black wrapper is a little harder to find around here. Likewise the Cracked Black Pepper.

I guess I will have to wait on a Mack's pizza clone until other brands work. Never heard of that brand of cheese, sauce, nor flour here. :chef:

Offline PowerWagonPete

• The name says it all.
« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2012, 10:31:50 PM »
Orange cheese is officially banned on my pizzas and, as a matter of fact, my entire household as well.  LOL   :)

Where does annato food coloring come from and why was it originally used in cheese?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annatto   ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2012, 10:57:13 PM »
Maybe you tried Vermont in the yellow wrapper or Extra Sharp/Extra Sharp-White, both in red wrappers. Aged Reserve in the black wrapper is a little harder to find around here. Likewise the Cracked Black Pepper.

I guess I will have to wait on a Mack's pizza clone until other brands work. Never heard of that brand of cheese, sauce, nor flour here. :chef:

Mark,

I really donít recall all the cheddars I tried in the boardwalk thread, but donít think I tried any in red wrappers.  I know I never tried any cheddar in the black wrapper. 

What I will be trying to do on the boardwalk thread, in a few weeks, is use KABF with VWG and try the Walmart Great Value Paste with added ingredients.  If anyone wants to try and make a Mackís attempt that tastes like one they will have to purchase the cheddar from Nasonville, or they can try their own cheddars or blends.  Any way you look at it you still will have a tasty pizza. 

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2012, 11:02:11 PM »
Orange cheese is officially banned on my pizzas and, as a matter of fact, my entire household as well.  LOL   :)

Where does annato food coloring come from and why was it originally used in cheese?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annatto   ;D

Pete,

Lol, that orange cheese is banned on your pizzas.  :-D Just shut you eyes.     

Thanks for the link about Annato.  I recall Peter posting about it before.

Norma

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: September 01, 2012, 08:25:29 PM »
I donít know if any member tried to call the Nasonville Cheese Store today, but I did.  I guess they werenít opened because of the Labor Day weekend.  I tried to call 8 times in the hours they are supposed to have been open on a Saturday and kept getting the message that they are sorry they missed the call and to call back.  I donít know if I will have time to call Tuesday, but will for sure on Wednesday.   

Norma

Offline matermark

« Reply #158 on: September 01, 2012, 09:02:26 PM »
Pete,

Lol, that orange cheese is banned on your pizzas.  :-D Just shut you eyes.     

Thanks for the link about Annato.  I recall Peter posting about it before.

Norma

I think ANY color cheddar should be banned on pizza. If it doesn't have mozzarella it should be called something else!

P.S. I bought a bottle off Annato spice but didn't know what to do with it!

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: September 01, 2012, 09:31:18 PM »
I think ANY color cheddar should be banned on pizza. If it doesn't have mozzarella it should be called something else!

P.S. I bought a bottle off Annato spice but didn't know what to do with it!

Mark,

For about 50 years I thought Mackís was just using a different mozzarella on their pies.  It wasnít until the boardwalk thread that I found out really how good just cheddar, or a cheddar blend can taste on a pizza.  I also found out how good cheddar, or a cheddar blend can taste on a Greek style pizza or a Sicilian pizza.  The greasy cheddar melts down the sides of the steel pan and makes the most wonderful crispy crunchy edges on the Greek style pizzas and Sicilian pizzas. 

My distributor told me many pizzerias do use some cheddar blended with mozzarella.  For awhile I also added some cheddar to my blend of two mozzarellas for my pizzas at market.  It was good, but a little more expensive that my two mozzarellas.

I think if you would really taste a Mackís pizza you wouldnít be able to tell it was all cheddar.  Did you ever try cheddar in your blend of cheeses for pizzas?

Maybe you could look at this link to see what how use your Annato spice. http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2010/03/i-just-bought-annatto-seasoningnow-what-do-i-do-with-it.html

If you search Annato spice on Google there are many uses for it.

Norma

pizzapan