Author Topic: Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?  (Read 24548 times)

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
Re: NJ Boardwalk Pizza--What Kind of Cheese?
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2012, 08:15:56 AM »
This picture was posted on facebook under the Preservation Wildwood facebook page last evening.  It said, ďMacks Pizza, Since 1952..... Macks is celebrating 60 years this year at this Wildwood Ave location!Ē  There were two men commenterís that posted they had worked at Mackís.  One worked there back in the 60ís and one worked there back in the 70ís. Somehow when I look at it now, I can only see the one commenter that worked at Mackís, but sometimes two different facebook posts donít show the same comments. The one commenter said he worked for Tony Mack. http://www.mackspizzaofstoneharbor.com/MacksPizza/HISTORY.html  Since that commenter worked at Mackís way back then, I wondered what he knew.  The one said Mrs. T was tough then. Some commenterís mentioned Mrs. T isnít there this year.  Since you can send a message to face book people (even if you arenít a friend of theirs), I sent messages to both of them about the cheese and other things.  I even asked if there is another cheese used on Mackís pizza other than cheddar.  I send the messages last evening.  See if I get any replies.  >:D :angel: I thought it least didn't hurt to try and find out about the cheese if one of these two men knew anything about it. I also liked the post and shared it on my wall.  I now can watch if there are other commenterís.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #181 on: October 03, 2012, 07:58:29 AM »
Went to Mack's this weekend and yes, the young lady Mrs. T was not there.  Also I noticed a change (maybe) in the pizza.  The cheese seemed completely different and the crust was puffed up nice and high... definitely not the same as before!  They usually close on Columbus day so I am going to give it another try before then, but when I had asked for a closing date I was told that they may be staying open past then so I am wondering if it is under new ownership and things are changing or if I just caught them on an "off" day?!  I'll let everyone know what happens next so stay tuned.
tom

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #182 on: October 03, 2012, 08:17:21 AM »
Went to Mack's this weekend and yes, the young lady Mrs. T was not there.  Also I noticed a change (maybe) in the pizza.  The cheese seemed completely different and the crust was puffed up nice and high... definitely not the same as before!  They usually close on Columbus day so I am going to give it another try before then, but when I had asked for a closing date I was told that they may be staying open past then so I am wondering if it is under new ownership and things are changing or if I just caught them on an "off" day?!  I'll let everyone know what happens next so stay tuned.
tom

Fire-n-smoke,

That sure is a change that the crust was puffed up nice and high.  :o If you look at the picture of the pizza I purchased on the boardwalk thread at Reply 1440 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9068.msg212803.html#msg212803 and following posts, you can see my Mackís pizza sure wasnít puffy.  Peter and I think the pizza I purchased was parbaked.

How did the cheese taste different to you?  Even though my crust wasnít good the cheese still was.  What time of the day did you visit Mackís pizza and were the piemen opening the dough right in front of you?  

Let us all know what happens and thanks so much for reporting your observations.  :)

Norma

Offline Fire-n-smoke

« Reply #183 on: October 04, 2012, 08:02:35 AM »
The way the dough had risen it seemes more like a sam's pie rather than mack's.  As for the cheese, it was missing the "bite" that has always been there as well as the grease.  I thought maybe it was just me but my wife had said the same thing, that it just didn't seem like the mack's we are used to.  Time of day was around 330p so they were operational for some time and they had the dough in the carriers on the counter as usual as well as the cheese.  One thing I noticed about the cheese was it was in a larger pale rather than the dough box so I could not really get a good look at the cheese.  I'll let you know after my next visit if the change seems to be "in place" or if it was just an off day.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
tom

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #184 on: October 04, 2012, 08:59:08 AM »
The way the dough had risen it seemes more like a sam's pie rather than mack's.  As for the cheese, it was missing the "bite" that has always been there as well as the grease.  I thought maybe it was just me but my wife had said the same thing, that it just didn't seem like the mack's we are used to.  Time of day was around 330p so they were operational for some time and they had the dough in the carriers on the counter as usual as well as the cheese.  One thing I noticed about the cheese was it was in a larger pale rather than the dough box so I could not really get a good look at the cheese.  I'll let you know after my next visit if the change seems to be "in place" or if it was just an off day.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed!
tom

Fire-n-smoke.

Thanks so much for your report.  :) I had talked to some supposable suppliers of Mackís and Manco & Mancoís and if it is correct on what they told me, the cheese is aged for 3 months or more at the suppliers.  If I would have had time and been able to go to the one distributor they told me I could purchase a block of the cheddar Mackís and Manco & Manco uses.  The supplier also told me they might not have any of the aged cheddar left in October if I wanted to purchase some.  I never got to the supplier.  Maybe that is what happened in the pizza you and your wife ate.  The cheddar might not have been aged enough, but I really donít know.

Let us know what happens in your next visit.  I would really be interested if the cheese has the tang or bite to it.  I am still trying to figure out how to get that bite with the different kinds of Nasonville cheddar I have been trying.  The Nasonville cheddars have been oiling off well and the taste is there, but the bite is missing most of the time.

As for the dough seeming more like Samís, I recently did an experiment on the boardwalk thread with trying not to really press on the dough.  The finished baked pie did get a rim rise.  I sure donít know if the piemen might not have really pressed on the dough while they were opening it or not.   

Norma