Author Topic: Questions about using Sourdough Cultures  (Read 2706 times)

Offline tscaife

Re: Questions about using Sourdough Cultures
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 03:13:59 AM »
Barry,

I dont have the same issues with temp control from opening the lid but, would be interested to see if propping the lid open has an effect on cooking the top of the pie. Please post results.

TS

Offline tscaife

« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2011, 03:17:34 AM »
I got the temps close to what I have been looking for tonight but, the results weren't the best. Pies cooked for approx 3 minutes at approx 700* dome temp. You can see my setup in the first pic. My guess is the stone must have been a lot hotter than the dome. I think that that I need to get the stone higher up in the dome. I have a few setups I am going to try this week. If anyone has one that  works well at 700*+ I would be very interested to see it. I am also going to buy an infrared thermometer as soon as I can.

The good news is the dough was fantastic! Not sour at all but, had a great complex flavor. Very easy to work with as well. Other than playing around with hydration levels and the amount of starter I am going to stick with the overnight rise at room temperature for the time being. The pizzas also tasted great despite how charred they were.

No pies Saturday but, I will be back at it Sunday night.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2011, 03:32:42 AM by tscaife »

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 09:06:53 PM »
I made 4 pizza's tonight on the Bubba Keg - Big Steel Keg.  Using a block to keep the lid slightly open worked great, good some good char and some fast cooks ( about 3 minutes at 700 ) and the stone didn't break until I was loading the last pizza, so overall a successful night.  I use wheat berries that I grind at home, and usually use a 50 % red spring to 50% winter white.  I used tscaife's recipe, though I added some more water, and also villa roma's wheat recipe, and another sourdough recipe.  I used cornmeal to dust the peel, and used a bit much a few times, so a few slices got over charred.  The main thing I wanted to confirm is that I did not want to open the grill all the way to load or take out the pie, I wanted to prop it just a bit so I wouldn't loose any of the heat in the top of the grill.  I ended up using a 2 by 4 and it worked great - I stuck the end in when I wanted to load the pie,  it gave me enough room to work, and kept the heat in. Then I took out the wood and cooked for the appropriate time, and opened a crack and stuck the wood in to hold it open enough to get the pie out.  I have attached a photo of the grill held slightly open, and one of the char on the bottom.  Now I have to start looking for a decent pizza stone, the one I used was a cheap one - you can see the crack in the photo.  I took some other photos, but they came out poorly.

Offline tscaife

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 10:09:57 AM »
Barry,

Glad to hear that propping the lid gave you good results! Sorry to hear about your stone though. My thought was propping the lid would help cook the top of the pies by pulling the heat out over the top. Were the tops of you pizzas cooked well?

I ordered firebricks and an infrared thermometer so I am going to hold off until I get them later this week.

Last night I cooked two NY style pizzas. One in the oven (1st pic) at 525* and one in the egg (2nd pic) at 575*. They were good but, the crusts were a bit chewy for me. The pizza cooked in the egg was better. Crust was a bit lighter and the bottom cooked better. Dough was KABF, 3% starter, 1.75% salt, 1% oil, 30 hour room temp rise. 24 hour bulk and balled for the rest.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 10:11:59 AM by tscaife »

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 09:09:25 PM »
Tscaife,  your looked pretty good.  No the tops didn't get browned much at all, the darkness, to the extent it is dark at all, is the 50% red spring wheat berries.  I only propped the lid for a few seconds, and thought that it would help the heat on top of the pie, but not much luck there.  This is the pie on the peel right next to the BK right after I have taken it out.

Offline tscaife

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2011, 10:56:34 AM »
Looks good Barry! Keep them coming!

I bought the Tartine Bread book and it has some great information about starters and how they work. I realize that when my dough was too sour I was using starter that was too mature. I decided to apply some the concepts from the book and made my doughs with the following process;

- Tuesday night pulled starter from the fridge and fed it 50g KABF and 50g cold water. Sat out overnight.

- Wed 6AM Starter had risen and receded. I mixed 1 TBSP of starter to 150g cold water and 150g KABF.

- Wed at 6PM my leaven had the overripe fruit smell described in the book. It also passed the float test.

- Made the dough with KABF, 20% young leaven, 65% hydration, 3% salt. Mixed Leaven, flour and water by hand until there was no dry flour, 30 min autolyse, added salt and kneaded for about one minute in the bowl. I stretched and folded the dough every 20 minutes for the next hour. Dumped the dough onto a work surface and made a large ball that rested for 30 minutes. Made dough balls and sat on counter in glad containers for about an hour before putting them in the fridge.

- This morning they had grown slightly and had bubbles showing a decent amount of activity.

I also received my infrared thermometer and should be getting my firebricks today. Will post pics tonight. Going forward I am going to post progress in this thread. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13604.0.html

I still don't know what I am doing but, I feel like I have made some decent progress in a short period of time thanks to all of the info on this forum. When I stared this I thought "how hard can it be? Flour + water + yeast + hot grill = great pizzas". I wish it was that easy but, I am having a blast trying to figure it all out.

Thanks for looking!

TS

pizzapan