Author Topic: Cento D.O.P. VS Certified San Marzano  (Read 23437 times)

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Cento D.O.P. VS Certified San Marzano
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2011, 01:53:30 PM »
John,
I'm not sure if these are available to you, but these are the ones that I use & they are phenomenal.  I buy them wholesale for $40/case, they retail for $4.25/can & worth every penny.

Matt

Matt - Thanks for the tip on Agrigenus. I found on online source here in the US that sells them as Titina's, and they are spectacular.

John

Offline andreguidon

• Hot WFO always !!!
    • www.andreguidon.com
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2011, 02:10:45 PM »
John, that great news!!
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." Leonardo da Vinci

Offline matermark

« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2011, 03:42:34 PM »
if any of us want original san marzanos the can has to have an IS.ME.CERT logo.

I think you may have missed the point with the Cento reply. This thread is about Cento brand tomatoes.

They already paid their tariff fees for the season but after months of waiting for IS.ME.CERT, their label design didn't meet the specifications so they went ahead without the seals on the label.

So I guess they are saying that the product in the CERTIFIED can should be the same as the DOP labeled cans.

I have a few DOP cans left but am now stocking up on the 35oz cans instead; they are reportedly the same tomatoes without the supervision process and fees, plus you get 25% more and they cost 32% less.

Did anyone ever get the coupons and free recipe book they promised?

Offline Matthew

« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2011, 03:55:09 PM »
Matt - Thanks for the tip on Agrigenus. I found on online source here in the US that sells them as Titina's, and they are spectacular.

John

No problem John.  I'm glad you liked them!

Matt

Offline matermark

« Reply #84 on: May 04, 2011, 11:44:35 AM »
I was at my local Walmart Monday and lo and behold, they started carrying the 2009 crop DOP CERTIFIED version for I think $3.38 or $3.39. Less than a mile away, Price-Rite is selling the CERTIFIED for $2.49 and the 35oz SM's for $1.69. My local butcher shop has Gia Russa DOP CERTIFIED 28oz for $3.99 and a fancy "Italianized" brand DOP #10 can, maybe La Bella or something, for $5.99.

I'm not sure if they have the IS.ME.CERT logo.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 11:46:21 AM by matermark »

Offline matermark

« Reply #85 on: May 18, 2011, 07:10:59 PM »
Does anybody's Cento "ITALIAN STYLE" whole peeled tomatoes say "Product of Italy?" I was in Price-Rite today and while the 35oz cans saying "ITALIAN" whole peeled tomatoes for $1.69 (unmarked San Marzano's) say Product of Italy clearly on the front, the $1.29 can of the "ITALIAN STYLE" on the back of the can by the barcode said "Product of Italy" in small letters (small enough to miss if you didn't look hard enough!)

On another note, the DOP CERTIFIED at Wal-Mart are $3.88, not $3.38.

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
« Reply #86 on: May 18, 2011, 09:05:44 PM »
I just bought a few different cans of Centos earlier in the week.

The 35 oz "Italian" peeled tomatoes,has the flag on the front label saying Product of Italy on the flag.
It also says Product of Italy underneath the Nutrition facts list but nothing near the bar code,just to share what I see on the cans here.

The 28 oz can of "Italian Style" Peeled Tomatoes has the Product of Italy above the bar code on the side rear label as you mentioned.

I also have a can of 28oz Certified Peeled tomatoes,with the San Marzano name on the front Label with product of Italy printed just beneath it.The Bar code on the back also has a bold print Product of Italy as well.

I want to ask you,is peeled and whole peeled the same thing from your descriptions?The cento cans I have do not say Whole Peeled on the front,just PEELED TOMATOES in red print.Btw,these cans are 2-3 bucks each from a food store about 30 miles from my home.Its the only store I can find them at since I live in Kenfucky.
 :-[

-Bill

Offline jgestner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #87 on: May 18, 2011, 09:39:26 PM »
Hi Gang
Just a thought. Why not skip the whole search for that made in Italy verbiage and use Escalon 6 in 1? That is a great tomato puree good enough to throw on a crust w a bit of grande 50/50 and enjoy. Add a basil leaf and a pinch of good oregano if you must, but the search has ended if you use 6 in 1 in MHO.

John :pizza:

Offline matermark

« Reply #88 on: May 18, 2011, 09:40:05 PM »
I just bought a few different cans of Centos earlier in the week.

The 35 oz "Italian" peeled tomatoes,has the flag on the front label saying Product of Italy on the flag.
It also says Product of Italy underneath the Nutrition facts list but nothing near the bar code,just to share what I see on the cans here.

The 28 oz can of "Italian Style" Peeled Tomatoes has the Product of Italy above the bar code on the side rear label as you mentioned.

I also have a can of 28oz Certified Peeled tomatoes,with the San Marzano name on the front Label with product of Italy printed just beneath it.The Bar code on the back also has a bold print Product of Italy as well.

I want to ask you,is peeled and whole peeled the same thing from your descriptions?The cento cans I have do not say Whole Peeled on the front,just PEELED TOMATOES in red print.Btw,these cans are 2-3 bucks each from a food store about 30 miles from my home.Its the only store I can find them at since I live in Kenfucky.
 :-[

Hi Chickenparm! YES, they are the same thing, peeled & WHOLE peeled, I would have to go look at the can but sure it's the same what you said.

I think you can get a CASE of the "ITALIAN" Product of Italy 35oz (unadvertised San Marzano's) peeled tomatoes DELIVERED to YOUR DOOR for $31.33 (case of 12) or the same SM's in 14oz cans (case of 12 - $19.85!)

35oz: http://www.amazon.com/Cento-Italian-Tomatoes-35-Ounce-Cans/dp/B002C4C67C/?tag=pizzamaking-20
14oz: http://www.amazon.com/Cento-Italian-Tomatoes-14-Ounce-Cans/dp/B001SB3X86/?tag=pizzamaking-20

As long as your order hits $25.00 from Amazon the shipping is FREE.

If you use these a lot, they have a subscription deal where you get ANOTHER 15% OFF and they send them to you automatically, like every 6 months, 3 months, 2 months, 1 month.

Hope this helps!

Offline matermark

« Reply #89 on: May 18, 2011, 09:42:01 PM »
Hi Gang
Just a thought. Why not skip the whole search for that made in Italy verbiage and use Escalon 6 in 1? That is a great tomato puree good enough to throw on a crust w a bit of grande 50/50 and enjoy. Add a basil leaf and a pinch of good oregano if you must, but the search has ended if you use 6 in 1 in MHO.

Are those the ones for $3.xx per 28oz can plus shipping? They aren't available locally here. Don't those include ground skins too? Do they sell whole peeled?

P.S. I'm getting the 35oz SM's locally for $1.69 or the Chef's Cut 28oz for $1.29. Red Pack crushed in heavy puree were around $0.80 here!
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 09:49:31 PM by matermark »

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #90 on: May 18, 2011, 10:00:13 PM »
Hi Gang

I believe this thread is more about the differences between the cans and their respective labels,and what someone is buying more than "this brand taste better" so therefore case closed.

That said,

I have a huge can of 6 in 1 ground tomatoes in my cabinet.I have used 6 in1s several times before and love it.It makes a wonderful sauce.

I am not going to say I like it better than Centos.I want to keep making new experiments to see what I prefer over time.My experiments is also not only about my tastes,but what my family likes as well.

I am also trying new products and store name cans over time to see what I like best.We have also discussed this on another thread on the forum as well. I also want to try some more Stanislaus products.I hear the 7/11 is just as good or better than the 6 in 1's.

Its all about experimenting.Thanks for the heads up for others to read about.

:)
-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #91 on: May 18, 2011, 10:05:38 PM »
Hi Chickenparm! YES, they are the same thing, peeled & WHOLE peeled, I would have to go look at the can but sure it's the same what you said.

I think you can get a CASE of the "ITALIAN" Product of Italy 35oz (unadvertised San Marzano's) peeled tomatoes DELIVERED to YOUR DOOR for $31.33 (case of 12) or the same SM's in 14oz cans (case of 12 - $19.85!)

35oz: http://www.amazon.com/Cento-Italian-Tomatoes-35-Ounce-Cans/dp/B002C4C67C/?tag=pizzamaking-20
14oz: http://www.amazon.com/Cento-Italian-Tomatoes-14-Ounce-Cans/dp/B001SB3X86/?tag=pizzamaking-20

As long as your order hits $25.00 from Amazon the shipping is FREE.

If you use these a lot, they have a subscription deal where you get ANOTHER 15% OFF and they send them to you automatically, like every 6 months, 3 months, 2 months, 1 month.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for posting that info...I really like the cento cans but not sure yet if they are going to be the final product Im going to stick with.Yet,I will keep those links in mind if I will mail order some.
-Bill

Offline jgestner

• I Love Pizza!
« Reply #92 on: May 18, 2011, 10:10:23 PM »
Yo chickenparm
I am totally with you. Sorry for bumping in here. I hope you all get the labels the way you want them. I'm happy with US tomatoes, cheese, and flour. Meat too.
Sorry again for bugging into the esoteric label hunting exercise without understanding.

I really don't want to start a flame war over tomatoes.

Lov ya all

Offline matermark

« Reply #93 on: May 18, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »
I never used their puree, but you can get it by the case, delivered for free, for as low as $17.68 for 12. Amazon's description says "Product of Italy" but I think that may be a mistake.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #94 on: May 18, 2011, 10:44:07 PM »
Yo chickenparm
I am totally with you. Sorry for bumping in here. I hope you all get the labels the way you want them. I'm happy with US tomatoes, cheese, and flour. Meat too.
Sorry again for bugging into the esoteric label hunting exercise without understanding.

I really don't want to start a flame war over tomatoes.

Lov ya all

John,

No problem,I know you were just trying to help.Believe it or not,I use walmarts great value puree and tomatoes at times to make a sauce.They are decent for the money and I can make a decent sauce with them.

I found these to taste much better /better value than red gold,red pack,hunts,del monte and other store name brands after they are cooked on a pizza.

Also,sometimes,a sauce mixed up may not taste that great from the bowl mix,but cooked on the pie in the oven,it becomes a whole 'nother animal.

That is whats killing me at times...for example 6 in 1's,I can eat it straight from the can.I mix a sauce and it tastes wonderful.Cooked on the pizza,it was very good but not WOW like it was in the bowl fresh from the can.Make sense?

It changed...something I added maybe? The natural sweetness broke down a little from heat?I dunno.

So far the Centos I have tried have been very good quality.Much better than walmarts stuff too.Just need to do a bit more experimenting with finding my number one sauce.Im not quite there yet.
-Bill

Offline wucactus1

« Reply #95 on: May 19, 2011, 12:54:53 AM »
If you are ever in Lexington, check out Wine and Market, they usually have some varieties of canned tomatos la vanita if I remember sticks out, also this italian cheese and specialty store Sappori di Italia has Rega and Cirio brand tomatos, I tried several and the crushed Cirios are amazing, better than escalon 6-1, but 6-1 price justifies my purchase you just cant beat gfs prices.
Then if you happen to venture into louisville try lotsa pasta market, they have absolutely everything you would need to cook anything amazing...their deli is superb and if your there you cant leave without a sandwich/panini on their fococcia bread, its magnificent! Its an amazing place and probably the best local market/deli I have ever been too.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #96 on: May 19, 2011, 08:39:48 PM »
If you are ever in Lexington, check out Wine and Market, they usually have some varieties of canned tomatos la vanita if I remember sticks out, also this italian cheese and specialty store Sappori di Italia has Rega and Cirio brand tomatos, I tried several and the crushed Cirios are amazing, better than escalon 6-1, but 6-1 price justifies my purchase you just cant beat gfs prices.
Then if you happen to venture into louisville try lotsa pasta market, they have absolutely everything you would need to cook anything amazing...their deli is superb and if your there you cant leave without a sandwich/panini on their fococcia bread, its magnificent! Its an amazing place and probably the best local market/deli I have ever been too.

Thanks for the heads up.I don't go to Louisville much,I do live 90 miles away,but next time I head that way I will check that deli out.I miss the delis I grew up in NY...some of the best in the world since the diversity is enormous there.Thank god for different races/creeds of people or this would be one really boring place to live and eat!
 :-D

That reminds me,this weekend is the last weekend the Science museum in L-ville is going to have some Star Trek displays in there.One can sit in Kirks chair and theres other things from the movies and TV shows on display to see and touch.Not a big die hard Trekkie but like to watch it once in a while.Never got to see some of this stuff up close...may head up there soon hopefully.Hope to kill 2 birds with one stone on that trip.

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #97 on: May 20, 2011, 10:34:50 PM »
I never used their puree, but you can get it by the case, delivered for free, for as low as $17.68 for 12. Amazon's description says "Product of Italy" but I think that may be a mistake.

The 28 oz cans of Cento purees I found in the store,it does not say Italy,or product of Italy anywhere on the label.It is still very good,its better than most of the other stuff I have tried already.If there is a puree with product of Italy on it,I have never seen it around these stores.

That aside,I made another pizza yesterday with the 28 oz Centos Italian style peeled tomatoes with basil leaf.I used my hand held mixer to sort of chop/puree up the tomatoes.I did not strain anything.Dumped all the can contents into a bowl,puree a little bit,and add little salt to taste.

Holy hell,it was super good.All I did was add a little more salt,thats all.It was wonderful on the pizza I made,super tomatoey tasting and got a little sweeter on the pie.For some,it may not be spiced up or sweet enough,but for me,I was testing this stuff to see how it would work without the usual spices I use and I'm very impressed.It is a tad bit watery this way,but does not seem to affect anything.

It may be more ideal for a Nea style pie,and I was making sort of a hybrid Ny style politan wanna be.That said,I love how nice this stuff tastes with just a little puree mixing and salt.

-Bill

Offline matermark

« Reply #98 on: May 20, 2011, 11:12:05 PM »
Here's the descriptive blurb for the puree, I believe it is incorrect:

Product Features
Cento brand tomatoes are made with 100% vine ripe tomatoes, picked immediately to preserve taste.
Premium Quality
Guaranteed Fresh
Product of Italy
Grown Naturally

http://www.amazon.com/Cento-Tomato-Puree-28-Ounce-Cans/dp/B001SAWI38/?tag=pizzamaking-20

If you really like the puree, it's the one you can get on a subscription automatically every 6/3/2/1 month(s) as low as $17.58/case of 12 including free delivery. I don't buy puree so don't recall what it costs at Price-Rite but would assume in the $0.99-$1.29 range here, cheaper locally than by subscription. But if you find you have to drive 30 miles to find Cento products then maybe it would be worthwhile to subscribe, but only if all these "stars align" (want/like/need/timeframe/subscription/cost/distance/delivery.)

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2011, 11:35:17 PM »
Thanks Mark...While I like their puree very much,I don't plan to order them at this time.I will keep that in mind since I do live far from the stores that even carry it.Usually when I make the trip I put 15 bucks of gas in the car for the trip,so it may be cheaper to mail order sometimes.Haven't decided yet.

I am really liking the Italian styled Peeled Tomatoes in Basil...going to see how it compares to the San marzano Cento cans.

-Bill