Author Topic: Cold Ferment, warm up, back in refrigerator, warm up again ok?  (Read 560 times)

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Hello:

First, thanks again to all for the help and wisdom. 

Yesterday's pizza party was very successful! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13394.0.html

;D

Between the anitpasto, 4 pies and big dessert, everyone was quite full.  Aside from the cooked pizzas, I had removed 2 dough balls from the refrigerator (after a two day ferment), leaving them in their containers,  and they were out for about 2 hours or so and came to room temperature or close.  When we know everyone was stuffed, we returned the containers to the refrigerator.

Today is day three and I took a look at the dough this AM.  They look like they have risen quite a bit more.

Can I bake pizzas with them and have them come out well?  Given they were warmed up and cooled down, what impact should I anticipate?  Should I toss them, bake pizzas, make a bread?

Thanks
Mitch

buceriasdon

Re: Cold Ferment, warm up, back in refrigerator, warm up again ok?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 01:04:05 PM »
Mitch, I'd go ahead and bake pizzas, one I would punch down lightly, the other leave alone and see what the difference is between the two if you have big bubbles on the top of the dough balls. If they have not sunk down or big bubbles you should be ok to use as is.
Don

Hello:

First, thanks again to all for the help and wisdom. 

Yesterday's pizza party was very successful! http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13394.0.html

;D

Between the anitpasto, 4 pies and big dessert, everyone was quite full.  Aside from the cooked pizzas, I had removed 2 dough balls from the refrigerator (after a two day ferment), leaving them in their containers,  and they were out for about 2 hours or so and came to room temperature or close.  When we know everyone was stuffed, we returned the containers to the refrigerator.

Today is day three and I took a look at the dough this AM.  They look like they have risen quite a bit more.

Can I bake pizzas with them and have them come out well?  Given they were warmed up and cooled down, what impact should I anticipate?  Should I toss them, bake pizzas, make a bread?

Thanks
Mitch

Offline mitchjg

• Supporting Member
Re: Cold Ferment, warm up, back in refrigerator, warm up again ok?
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 08:15:40 PM »
Hi Don:

I had already baked the two pies earlier than your post - no opportunity to do a comparison.  They did have one or 3 large bubbles but the pies both came out great.  No complaints at all. 

If anything, the corniciones may have come out just a bit smaller, with just a bit less oven spring and holes, etc.  But, it did not stop us for a moment to enjoy a few slices.

Having made so many pies, the refrigerator and freezer are now stocked up.  I doubt if I will be able to have an excuse to make a pie for a couple of weeks.   :o

Here is how they looked!

pizzapan