Author Topic: Smoked Mozzarella  (Read 1768 times)

Offline A-Neibs

Smoked Mozzarella
« on: April 11, 2011, 12:30:27 PM »
I was at Trader Joe's the other day and I noticed that they sold Smoked Mozzarella. It looked really good and sounded like it would go great on Pizza. I want to try it, but I honestly have no idea what to put on the pizza with it. If you were to cook a pizza with smoked mozzarella, what other toppings would you put on it?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
Re: Smoked Mozzarella
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 12:38:46 PM »
In Naples, I had a white pizza with sausage, smoked mozzarella, ricotta and basil.

Also, when I cook a NY style pizza, I like to use both fresh mozzarella and a small amount of smoked to add a nice smoky component.

John

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 12:48:15 PM »
On the NY style one, what toppings to do you put with the mozzarella and the smoked mozzarella? Thanks for the ideas. Do they turn out pretty good?

Offline dellavecchia

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 01:02:17 PM »
On the NY style one, what toppings to do you put with the mozzarella and the smoked mozzarella? Thanks for the ideas. Do they turn out pretty good?

Thin slices of roasted eggplant is one of my favorites.

John

Offline pizzablogger

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 02:56:39 PM »
I am very fond of smoked mozzarella and thinly sliced red onion together. That combo has an almost bacony note to it.

The smokiness plays well against sweeter notes as well....a light drizzle of orange blossom honey on a simple pizza of sauce, smoked mozzarella and a hard grated cheese can be very good. A drizzle of Mike's Hot Honey adds sweet and hot.

The cold smoked (cherrywood) mozzarella from Maplebrook Farms is very good.

http://mountainmozzarella.com/index.php/products/smoked-mozzarella
"It's Baltimore, gentlemen, the gods will not save you." --Burrell