Author Topic: Looking for thoughts on this no rise thin crust recipe  (Read 1510 times)

Offline mzimm

Looking for thoughts on this no rise thin crust recipe
« on: April 13, 2011, 02:34:31 PM »
I've recently been using this no rise thin crust recipe using All Purp flour with OK results. Anyone have any thoughts on what the outcome would be if I used a high gluten flour in place of the AP flour?   or does anyone have a no rise thin crust recipe that offers good results. I've tried a few others but keep going back to this one when I need an instant pie:

.25 oz. pkt. active dry yeast
1/4 tsp. granulated sugar
3/4 cup 110 degree water
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt

-Dissolve yeast and sugar in water; allow to rest for 8 minutes.
-In a separate bowl, combine flour and salt.
-Pour yeast mixture over flour mixture and mix well with a heavy spoon.
-Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 2 minutes.
-Working from the edges to the center, press dough into a 12" circle. We've also found that holding the dough up, off the counter and stretching it works well, too (keep rotating the dough circle as you stretch to keep an even circle forming).
-Place dough on a lightly greased pizza pan and stretch dough to edges.
-Spread sauce over crust and top with cheese and desired toppings.
-Bake in a 500 degree oven for 8-12 minutes, or until edges are golden.

buceriasdon

Re: Looking for thoughts on this no rise thin crust recipe
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2011, 03:14:55 PM »
Hello, Since I have no access to HG flour I can't comment on it's use in a thin and crispy. Is there something you feel is lacking in your no rise dough? Added: I thought I recognized that recipe and I was right, that's Robbie's (correct?) and I have made it before, it's ok, but found it lacking in taste. You might want to try adding some whole wheat, semolina or cormeal to add something extra. Such as:

210 grams all purpose flour
30 grams cornmeal or semolina
1 teaspoon IDY (half if 24 hour ferment in fridge)
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
120 grams water
enough for a 13" pizza
Don

« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 04:20:39 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline mzimm

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2011, 04:07:16 PM »
it just seems to lack the chewy texture and some of the "great crust" flavors I'm used to in some of the 24 hour proof recipes.  I really like the thin and crispy and no rise aspect of this recipe but just seems to be missing something.

The dough is soft and easy to work with and can be rolled out very thin and easily covers a 16" cutter pan

I've tried to prebake the crust for about 3-4 min at 500F before sauce/top to crisp it up and it was better but still less than perfect.

Offline mzimm

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:59:02 AM »
Added: I thought I recognized that recipe and I was right, that's Robbie's (correct?) and I have made it before, it's ok, but found it lacking in taste. You might want to try adding some whole wheat, semolina or cormeal to add something extra.

Yes, that is correct it is Robbie's recipe.  And I think you hit it on the head about just lacking in taste.

I will give your suggestion a shot with the cornmeal and see what it does. 

Do you have your recipe in BP or scaled for a 16" pie?  Should I parbake it for a few first?  Also what temp do you use?

Thank you
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 08:51:17 AM by mzimm »

buceriasdon

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 12:15:18 PM »
http://www.pizzamaking.com/dough_calculator.html
great tool for dough recipes. I would shoot for 50% hydration with a bit of oil.
Don

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 04:37:27 PM »
mzimm, So I had some AP flour to use up and some time so I concocted a faux sourdough dough to try out using sour cream and vinegar with a bit of water. 60% hydration, no rise, rolled it out, topped with mushrooms, onion and cheese. Not bad, not great, I was surprised it really didn't taste all that sour. May delete the water all together although the cream made it bake quite differently. Still think a hour or so rise would help the taste but I'm not done yet.

buceriasdon

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 08:26:24 PM »
I repeated my faux sourdough recipe however I let the dough rest for a hour before rolling and docking the skin. To me the hour made a huge difference in texture and taste. My conclusion, no more no rise experiments for me. Just no comparison. Hamburger and jalepanos.
Don
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:29:30 PM by buceriasdon »

Offline hammettjr

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 08:55:50 PM »
Nice Don! The jalapenos look great!

Offline mzimm

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2011, 08:01:56 AM »
Thanks for the additional info Don.  I did have some time this weekend to try out your cornmeal addition to my no rise and I've come to the same conclusion that in a pinch its OK but if you want a good quality crust I just need to give it at least an hour or two.

I did like the flavor and texture of the cornmeal in the crust.  The dough was a bit stiffer and less sticky than without the cornmeal but still easy to work with.

Next on my list is the Chicago.  I ordered a case of 6 in 1's and a 2" deep 15" pan.

Don, hamburger and jalapeno you posted looks great!

Thanks

Mike

pizzapan