Author Topic: Brown rice flour starter  (Read 1106 times)

Offline plainslicer

Brown rice flour starter
« on: April 13, 2011, 10:31:22 PM »
It took over a week, but I successfully made a starter from brown rice flour. It followed the same progression as a wheat flour starter, smelling unpleasant (but not revolting; I didn't get the vomit smell) for a few days and then suddenly exploding with activity. Lowering the hydration to about 80% made it look more active. 100% is probably too much for a non-gluten flour.

I used it last night in my first sourdough gluten-free bread, and the tangy flavor really improved the overall flavor. Using 50/50 tapioca starch/brown rice flour I had a decent crumb (for GF, anyway) while also minimizing the strong rice flavor. Definitely a good starting point for more experiments. I hope I can keep it from becoming soapy (colored bubbles and astringent smell) like my white flour starters (3 so far) did. My whole wheat flour starter didn't do that, so I'm hoping the whole grain brown rice acts more like that.

The left container is the original container where I cultured it. The one on the right is half an ounce of the starter on the left plus an ounce rice flour and 0.75 ounces water about two hours later in my fairly warm kitchen.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2011, 10:34:35 PM by plainslicer »

Offline Crider

Re: Brown rice flour starter
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 01:38:15 PM »
Interesting! What kind of rice flour is better for baking, from short-grain or long grain? Or does it make any difference?

Offline plainslicer

Re: Brown rice flour starter
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 01:56:49 PM »
Crider,

I'm not sure if it matters. I'm using Bob's Red Mill flour and it doesn't say whether it's short or long grain. I'd imagine since it's ground from raw rice it probably doesn't matter much. But I'm relatively new to baking, so take that with a grain of salt.

pizzapan