Author Topic: Question about Sicilian Oregano and Chris Bianco's use of it  (Read 2216 times)

Offline A-Neibs

Question about Sicilian Oregano and Chris Bianco's use of it
« on: April 14, 2011, 02:05:34 AM »
Please excuse my ignorance, but I've heard a little bit about Sicilian Oregano for Pizza, but I don't really know much about it.

I'm curious because of a quote I read by Chris Bianco about his pizza. He said,

“There’s no mystery to my pizza. Sicilian oregano, organic flour, San Marzano tomatoes, purified water, mozzarella I learned to make at Mike’s Deli in the Bronx, sea salt, fresh yeast cake, and a little bit of yesterday’s dough. In the end great pizza, like anything else, is all about balance. It’s that simple.”

My first question is where do you get sicilian oregano? Is that something that Chris could grow in Phoenix or get from the Farmer's Market, or is it something that you would have to ship in from somewhere else. Also, does anyone know where he uses it on his pizza. My first thought was that he puts it in his sauce, but when I ate there, I didn't recognize any oregano in his sauce. I could be wrong though. I know he has a marinara pizza that has oregano on it, so maybe that's where he uses it. Anybody know for sure.

Has anyone ever used Sicilian Oregano on a pizza? If so, how'd it taste and how did you use it? I'm just curious because I don't really know much about it, but if Bianco uses it, it might be worth trying out and learning about. Thanks for any help.

Offline Bill/SFNM

• Lifetime Member
Re: Question about Sicilian Oregano and Chris Bianco's use of it
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 02:27:16 AM »
I got some from here:

http://www.oreganofromitaly.com/

Pretty good stuff, nice aroma when you crush it between your fingers, but after baking the pie, I really couldn't say it was better than locally-sourced. But I tend to use oregano sparingly.

Offline Bob1

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 08:39:33 AM »
Sicilian oregano is great for pizzas and Hoagies also.  It gets confusing with so many types. Last year I grew a lot of different strains and found that the dried buds that Bill posted are just as good as home grown.  There are also other brands but the bottom line is that it is a sterile hybrid cross between Marjoram and Oregano.  Another good spice is Krinos Greek oregano.  The name Greek Oregano is misleading because the Krinos product is actually a very close hybrid like the Sicilian called Kaliteri.  If I had to describe them I would say that they are not a 50/50 hybrid.  The Sicilian has a tad more Marjoram taste and the Krinos has a tad more Oregano. but they are very close.

Bob 

Offline A-Neibs

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 01:32:27 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I still have some questions based off of what you've said. I live close to Phoenix, Arizona. Is Sicilian Oregano something that could be grown in a climate like ours or would I need to ship it in from somewhere else?

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 01:59:34 PM »
Growing your own oregano and drying it is not worth my time.   The real stuff is fairly cheap and last so long, it makes little sense to grow your own.  Unless you don't have to tend to it much and just let it grow wild in your yard.   Another plus for the imported oregano is that it is nearly all bud.   

Offline Bob1

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 03:49:10 PM »
Chau is right on the money with that one.  The stick Oregano is the buds and is harvested at the height of it's powers.  When it is dried it maintains it's oils 100% until you crush it with your fingers.  I am in PA and had to bring my hybrids in for the winter. You could grow it in your area but there is a specific bud harvest time, so you end up drying your own anyway.  I use Gangi Dante and really like it.  Here is a video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36dXKDCuVVw" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36dXKDCuVVw</a>

Bob
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 03:51:04 PM by Bob1 »

Offline pizzaboyfan

• Supporting Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 04:01:16 PM »
A local restaurant here snips it into small pieces and serves it as a do-it-yourself condiment with their pizzas.
A nice touch for the crowds that are looking for the old school oregano shaker with their pies.

pizzapan