Author Topic: dough mixer test  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Chet

dough mixer test
« on: April 14, 2011, 11:45:21 AM »

I am planning to test my homebuilt mixer today, rather than actually make the full recipe, for a few test can I mix just flour & water, does the salt & yeasy need to be in the bowl.

thanks
      Chet
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:38:48 AM by Chet »

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
Re: dough mixe test
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 11:55:08 AM »
Chet,

Since salt affects the strength of the gluten structure, and also has anti-oxidant effects and can also affect some enzymes in the flour (like protease), I think I would add the salt. There is unlikely to be any material fermentation during a normal mix/knead period, so I see no need to include the yeast.

Peter

Offline Chet

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 12:41:39 PM »

Thanks Peter

I just completed the first dough test with a few bags of self rising flour that I am not going to use, my first batch of a 6lb dough ball was good. will see if I can get it up to close to 8 lbs, I will be happy at that, if the motor lugs will probably end up around 7lbs. so far at 6lbs no motor effort so far. kneading is good.

thanks
      Chet

Offline Chet

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 08:55:40 PM »
 Hello Peter

I did another test on the self rising flour, I started with 41 oz water, and 66oz of flour had a total weight of 6lb 11oz dough ball. about what hydration is that.

Chet

Offline Chet

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011, 09:01:03 PM »

Peter

I went to the dough calculator, I came up with around 64% hydration. am I correct.

Chet

Offline Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011, 09:08:51 PM »
Chet,

With 41 ounces of water and 66 ounces of flour, the hydration equals 41/66 = 62.12%. The actual value may a bit less because self-rising flour contains small amounts of other ingredients.

Peter

Offline Botch

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2011, 02:06:52 PM »
Chet, do you have a thread somewhere on your "homebuilt mixer"?  That sounds fascinating! 
I cook with wine.  Sometimes I even add it to the food.  - W. C. Fields

Offline Chet

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 08:27:34 PM »

I will post some pics when I am done testing, so far I have to be at the mixer to move the dough ball with a spatula, still working on the mixer part, so far the mixer consist of a 6 qt stainless steel pot, it is around 8" deep and around 8" in diameter, drill the the bottom and install a mixer housing and paddle from a Regal bread machine, these have the most torque and will not bog down under a 7 lb dough ball, I am still experimenting, when completed I will post pics.

Chet
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:39:48 AM by Chet »

Offline Chet

Re: dough mixer test
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 12:34:42 PM »
 attached is a early stage mixer, just did a 5 lb batch of bread, I will post changes as I make improvements

Chet

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 02:31:56 PM »
this is the coolest site on the web for sure!   never thought I would see this....just amazing

Offline Botch

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 10:02:45 AM »
That is Cool!   8)
I cook with wine.  Sometimes I even add it to the food.  - W. C. Fields

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 10:51:32 AM »
Can't wait to see the progress. :pizza:
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 10:52:13 AM »
Looks like he's hacked an old breadmaker! Good luck.

Offline Chet

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 04:25:24 PM »

I will be going in to the machine shop early next week, I plan on modifying the paddle to a larger one, going to try a double paddle type with reversed angles so I don't have to baby sit the dough ball, the larger I make it the better it will be, BUT I have to watch for bogging down, so far the single paddle has not bogged the motor at all doing 7lbs of dough, so far I purchased the large stainless steel pot at a thrift shop for $2.50 and the bread machine for $$4.00  as for pizza dough. I can make a 1400 gram dough ball now without baby sitting my bread machine. only reason I am experimenting with the larger one is for making bread, trying to get a 8lb batch so I can bake 4 large loaves of bread.

Chet

Offline dmcavanagh

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 08:51:27 PM »
Chet, where did you happen to find the Regal breadmaker. They were once the highest rated machine in Consumer Reports tests, probably don't make them like that anymore. 8 lbs. of dough would be very impressive.

Offline Chet

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2011, 08:59:44 AM »

dmcavanagh

I have been messing around with breadmakers for about 3-4 yrs now, probably had 15-20 machines in the basement, I notice the Regal machines have a ton of power, I get thme at yard sales or Thrift shops, I think I saw a Regal yesterday at one of the shops, it looked now and was under $7, I pick them up, people don't use them anymore and they make great dough mixers. got the brother in law into bread making and got him a machine then I got him a back up machine ect. gave my daughter one, some of the weakest machines are the Magic Chef,  but the Regal, Breadman Ultimate and some Osters have good power. you have to look around the Regal's are a nice machine.

Chet
ps I use the magic Chef and weaker powered bread machines for roasting coffee, that does not require any power to mix the beans while roasting.

pizzapan