Author Topic: Need a new stone Bakers Pride model P-1  (Read 2311 times)

Offline crazybob

• Mom & Pop
Need a new stone Bakers Pride model P-1
« on: April 14, 2011, 02:30:20 PM »
This is a single deck 220 volt electric, single deck. I measured the stone & came up with 40 x 29 1/2. I've been searching the web & I'm lost? ???

Mine is still usable but I "inherited" it with a chunk missing in the back middle. We call it "the black hole" when a pizza falls in on a busy night! Thanks, Bob.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!

Offline crazybob

• Mom & Pop
Re: Need a new stone Bakers Pride model P-1
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 01:10:31 PM »
Thanks, Scott! :D

Offline scott123

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 06:29:19 PM »
Bob, my recommendation would be to stay away from fibrament.  It's just not as sturdy or as conductive as the cordierite stones the oven most likely came with.  I would give Baker's Pride a call and see if they sell replacement stones. If you can't get a stone through them or the price is exorbitant, call a local ceramic supplier and see if you can special order an oversized kiln shelf. It'll be cheaper than fibrament, sturdier and give you superior results at lower temps.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 06:43:14 PM »
If you have top and bottom temp controls this is a great suggestion.    I just realized you have an electric oven, so you probably can dial in extra top heat.   It should be noted, however, that most commercial deck pizza ovens are gas, and I did run into a situation where the fibramint replacement stones baked a much better pizza than the stock cordierite stones that came with a blodgett oven.     I was working for someone who had just purchased an already existing pizzeria.   He wanted to do high temp bakes at coal/wood burning temps with the existing gas deck oven that came with the pizzeria.  To try to accomplish this he had a 700 degree thermostat added to the existing oven.   It was very easy to get a fast bake, but the bottom of the pizza cooked a little bit faster than the top of the pizza did even with the flue all the way open (which redirects heat from the bottom burners to the top of the oven).  The owner didn't like a crack in the oven floor, and after ordering the fibramint replacements he was surprisingly able to get an evenly baked pizza at higher temps than the stock cordierite stones would allow.    
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:47:19 PM by scott r »

Offline scott123

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 06:47:59 PM »
Fair enough. If there is a top/bottom disparity, then fibrament will definitely help handicap the bottom so the top can catch up. Otherwise, I'd stick to tradition.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 06:56:04 PM »
Scott123, I just wanted to add that almost all commercial gas ovens begin to get starved for top heat at anything above 575 degress....this wasn't specific to the blodgetts.  You really see this problem when the pizzeria gets slammed and the doors are opening and closing all the time.  With most of these designs the only heating elements are under the stone, with the top heat only coming from convection via the flue system.  Bakers pride gas ovens and most others have similar issues.     This is one of the reasons why we see so few deck ovens making fast pizzas, and that is almost always left up to the wood burning or coal fired pizzerias.   Many pizzerias try to crank up their oven temps only to end up pulling it back because customers are complaining about a burned bottom before the fresh sausage is done cooking.     I hate them, but believe it or not its a piece of cake to get an even super fast bake out of a conveyer/air impingement oven.    
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 06:59:33 PM by scott r »

Offline scott123

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 06:59:12 PM »
I hate them, but believe it or not its a piece of cake to get an even super fast bake out of a conveyer/air impingement oven.    

Blasphemer!!!  :P

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 07:00:40 PM »
Oh, I know,,,, believe me.     Even pizza screens make me very angry >:D

Offline crazybob

• Mom & Pop
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 02:51:15 AM »
Thanks! I do have buttons that control top & bottom heat. It's just a drive-in theatre so I don't do the volume that a full time pizzeria does. I'm very old school (& very old). I still run 35mm film on 60 year old projectors. Most movie theatres have converted to Plastic digi-boxes that will be obsolete in a few years.  Replacing my vintage deck oven with an impingement oven, would be like removing my popcorn popper's & replacing them with microwave ovens. ;) . Some folks still buy outdated technologylike Swiss time pieces, & some are satisfied with Chinese digital watches from Wal*Mart.  This is one of the best forums on the net, I even got to meet Norma! Crazy Bob

Online norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 07:38:58 AM »
crazybob,

Keep doing things doing things the old fashioned way with your drive-in theatre and your pizzas.  ;D  I love old school.  I admire what you and your wife are doing with your drive-in theatre and your pizzas.  Steve and I really enjoyed meeting you and your lovely wife.  Hope to be able to visit your drive-in theatre someday and also be able to try your pizza. 

I also agree that this is the best forum.

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

pizzapan