Author Topic: Curd Cutting-Alternative to a guitarra  (Read 1472 times)

Offline Bobino414

• Supporting Member
Curd Cutting-Alternative to a guitarra
« on: April 09, 2011, 12:16:41 AM »

I have been making mozz from Polly-O curd for the past few months.  Originally I would cut up the curd into 1" cubes as suggested by many videos.  Cubes of this size I believe are too large to cook evenly. 
The Polly-O video which has been referenced before on this forum shows Pasquale pushing the curd through a guitarra to shred it.
TAMPA Dave and I split a 42 pound case of curd.
Our problem was to find a solution to breaking up the curd without spending $250 for a guitarra.  We took two approaches.  First, Dave strung a racquetball racket with Kevlar strings as seen in the first photo.  When pushing the curd through the Kevlar strings we got uniform sharply marginated rectangular shaped cubes. 
Also note in the first picture a sturdy metal cooling rack. When pushing the curd through this we ended up with smaller and more irregular pieces of curd.  We felt this was an advantage over the Kevlar cut as there was more  surface area which would result in a faster cook and therefore less loss of butterfat.
The second photo shows two pieces of Kevlar cut curd compared to the single piece of cooling rack curd.
We concluded that a $10-20 sturdy cooling rack with 3/8" by 3/8" boxlike openings is a functional alternative to a $250 guitarra.

Bob

Offline Jackie Tran

Re: Curd Cutting-Alternative to a guitarra
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 06:41:12 PM »
Nicely done gentlemen.  It sure takes the work out of cutting curd.   8)

Chau

Offline Tampa

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:53:10 AM »
If anyone wants to replicate the racquet cutting tool, I replaced the nylon strings with 30# spectra/kevlar fishing line.  It seemed to have a really good strength to diameter ratio.  I liked the look of the curd cuts, but you know Bobino, he likes the scraggly look.

dave

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:52:26 AM »
bob, that is awesome!!! since i gave racquetball up a few years ago for squash i had no use for my new racquets .unfortunately i also own a guitarrra. i am going to put my racquetball/ guitarra on eBay and sell it as a multipurpose utensil. :D

Offline Ronzo

• Supporting Member
  • Beer, freedom n' pizza...
    • New Texian Brewery
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 11:48:57 AM »
I'd much rather use the cooling rack. Thanks for the permission to do so. :)
Fuggheddabowdit!

~ Ron

Former NY'er living in Texas
http://newtexianbrew.com - http://ronlennex.com/ - http://pinterest.com/NewTexianBrew