Author Topic: Bad Batch of Cheese?  (Read 990 times)

Offline chickenparm

• Oh No,Not Pizza Again!!!
Bad Batch of Cheese?
« on: April 14, 2011, 03:45:56 PM »
I have been using walmarts GV low moisture shredded cheese in the large 2 lb bags for a few weeks now.

Recently,one bag,the cheese would burn and get dried brown scabs all over the pie.Keep in mind these are the large shredded ones,not the smaller bags with the tiny shredded pieces that self destruct in sunlight.
 :-D

Thought it was a fluke,so I made another pizza for my wife and kids and it did the same thing.I bought another bag of cheese,made a new pie,and its not burning anymore.

Tossed the old bag out.I could not see anything different about the cheese at all,visually or by feel.Just wondering what the heck happened with that one bag.Too much cellulose or something? Never had this happen before.Not a big deal,just curious.
 ;)

-Bill

Offline chickenparm

Re: Bad Batch of Cheese?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 03:48:02 PM »
Forgot to add,when the cheese burns brown spots everywhere like this,it smells and tastes like tombstone frozen pizza or something.
I cant stand that smell.
 ::)
-Bill

Offline Mmmph

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 04:02:09 PM »
Probably too much corstarch in that batch.
Sono venuto, ho visto, ho mangiato

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 09:18:21 PM »
I wonder...just a weird experience.I prefer and love whole milk mozz the most,but when I tried the pre shredded ones in the large shred sizes,it worked great on my pies.Hope I don't get a bad batch again.
 :)
-Bill

Offline Pizzamaster

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 04:43:45 AM »
I had something like that happen years ago when I was a manager at Pizza Hut. We sold a four cheese pizza for a while. One box of cheese came in. It wasn't bad or anything. It just had a strange pungent smell. When it baked out the cheese had this odd consistency. No stringyness at all. Actually it tasted better than the regular stuff. Powerful flavor. Man I wish I could remember what the blend was. I think I am getting bored with mozzarela lol.

Offline chickenparm

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 02:27:43 PM »
I had something like that happen years ago when I was a manager at Pizza Hut. We sold a four cheese pizza for a while. One box of cheese came in. It wasn't bad or anything. It just had a strange pungent smell. When it baked out the cheese had this odd consistency. No stringyness at all. Actually it tasted better than the regular stuff. Powerful flavor. Man I wish I could remember what the blend was. I think I am getting bored with mozzarela lol.

I ate at Pizza Hut back in the late 80's and early 90s and it had fantastic cheese.Would stay white,melt and stretch everywhere.These days,I dont eat there anymore.If my wife gets pizza from PH,the cheese is always a burnt brown color.Dried out and nasty.WTH happened to the cheese?
 :-D
-Bill