Author Topic: Anybody ever experiement with a really wet dough?  (Read 2139 times)

Offline wizarddrummer

Anybody ever experiement with a really wet dough?
« on: April 15, 2011, 06:53:38 PM »
Hi,
I stumbled on a video a few months ago where this man made some decent looking bread that he called no knead bread.

He mixed the dough; let it sit in a bowl over night.

When he put in into the dutch oven he was going to bake it in it looked like he could have slowly poured it, but he didn't.

It didn't hold its shape very well.

I was wondering if a dough like that would make a good pizza dough because the bread looked fantastic with really large holes. I like holes  ;D in the bread.

Thanks.

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
Re: Anybody ever experiement with a really wet dough?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 07:09:06 PM »
Oh yeah, wet dough is awesome.    Look for posts by one of our members Jackie Tran who has many of us really excited about wet doughs again.    Also look for posts from sfspanky here http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,11994.0.html  who has one hell of a pizza recipe that he revealed to us.  Just beware of the no knead stuff for pizza.   While it does work I think the best way to do a really wet dough is actually the other extreme....lots of mixing or/and stretch and folds.    good luck! 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 08:18:21 PM »
Thanks Scott.  Wizarddrummer here is a thread containing high hydration pies made by some of our members.

http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,12122.80.html

Extremely hydrated dough has its unique finishing characteristics as well.  The wetter the dough, the harder it is to build gluten, so as Scott says you definitely want to work the dough more to build the gluten.  These wet doughs can also be harder to work with at first until you get the hang of them.  The resulting crumb can be rather moist and even a bit wet if you don't bake the pizza long enough to drive out the excess moisture.  B/c of this the resulting rim is often more soft than it is crispy and will likely soften as the pie cools as well. 

If you have an even and relatively high heat, you can get fantastic oven spring provided dough strength is there.  If you are interested in increasing the hydration of your dough, I would increase it by 2-3% at a time until you are happy with the results. 

Chau

buceriasdon

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 08:59:39 PM »
I've been using a modification of this site's method as I have no mixer nor do I have parchment paper. I am going to give my food processor a try next time. I use my extreme stretch and fold method for the wet dough and start the baking with a pizza pan, then remove and finish baking on my tile. It makes for a truly delightful pizza. I do feel cutting back on the yeast and fermenting for at least 24 hours gives better results as I use AP flour.
http://sites.google.com/site/hollosyt/quickrusticciabattapizza
Don
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 09:09:06 PM by buceriasdon »

Online Pete-zza

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
  • Always learning

buceriasdon

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2011, 08:48:21 AM »
wizzardrummer, I found some good ideas here. It's the blog that gave me the idea to use a pan although I just firm it up enough to enable me to remove the pizza then finish the bake on my tile. I do recommend working with small size pizzas till you get your technique down as shown in the video. Have fun!     http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2008/12/no-knead-mania-makes-previously-posted.html
Don

Offline wizarddrummer

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 11:30:01 AM »
Sorry for the delay in saying thank you. Been a little under the weather and had a computer virus as well.
I'm going to try some of these suggestions :)

buceriasdon

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 12:09:02 PM »
wizzarddrummer, Good to hear you and your puter are feeling better :D Check out tinroofrusted's recent thread on ciabatta pizza :
http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,13597.0.html
I myself went off on a tanget with this ceramic planter on the grill pizza oven I made, but I'm just about done with it so I can get back to 95% doughs soon.
Moderators, perhaps these two could be put together as they are recent connected threads? Thank you, Don Thompson

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 02:15:03 PM »
wizzarddrummer,

I played with some fairly hydration doughs on this thread, if you are interested. http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.msg121524.html#msg121524

and

In this dough I used 87% hydration and the final pizza came out good after doing stretch and folds.  http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.msg124387.html#msg124387

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

buceriasdon

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 08:13:40 PM »
Norma, That's a great link and I had one failure myself due to improper gluten build up. I did a no knead with AP and no way jose. I'm trying to stay away from parbaking but it may be a reality unless a strong flour is used or the dough is S+F ed for a long time. I'm talking 95% hydration here.
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 10:28:30 PM »
Norma, That's a great link and I had one failure myself due to improper gluten build up. I did a no knead with AP and no way jose. I'm trying to stay away from parbaking but it may be a reality unless a strong flour is used or the dough is S+F ed for a long time. I'm talking 95% hydration here.
Don

Don,

I donít have any idea how what hydration that Rose Beranbaum focaccia dough I tried, but it must have been really high. I use volume measures for that dough.  I did use regular KAAP for that focaccia.  I donít know if anyone is interested but, I also tried other higher hydration dough on that same thread.  Another one was at Reply 111 http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php/topic,9946.msg88032.html#msg88032 I really didnít know at that time how to use the preferment calculating tool (and think I fouled up with adding the preferment, and then adding that to the hydration), but I think that dough also was a higher hydration and needed different steps to get it usable. 

Since you are talking about 95% hydration with a lower protein flour, it will be hard to be able to develop the gluten enough.  Did you try something like a double hydration, double flour addition, and then also doing stretch and folds?  Many really high hydration dough for bread can finally be strengthened enough by doing those methods.  At least so far, in the limited experience I have had with bread and dough, it might be possible. 

I will be interested in seeing your results and see if you had to parbake first if you use 95% hydration.

Norma

buceriasdon

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 07:38:09 PM »
Success!! HeeeeHaaaaaw. 95%! I wanted to use the new little ceramic oven but guests at the hotel were using the grill so I did the baking in my LBE. I have a baking friend who gave me some parchment paper and wow, what a difference in how it came out, round. ;D Even though the LBE was over 700 it took over five minutes to complete the bake. I completely formed the skin on the parchment paper rather than form and attempt to transfer like others do. Simple cheese, sliced tomato, garlic and basil with such a tender crust , now, this is living.........
Don

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 08:49:33 PM »
Don,

Congrats!  ;D  Your 95% hydration pizza looks great! 

Norma