Author Topic: Vesta East Wood Fired Pizza and Bar  (Read 3380 times)

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
Vesta East Wood Fired Pizza and Bar
« on: April 15, 2011, 08:32:18 PM »
After reading the thread posted By Jeff V about the locations of every Stephano oven in the US someone added Vesta with their double stephano ovens. 2 new arrivals. I ran there today with hopes of a real Neapolitan to please my palate. The place is shiny new, Very well laid out, great bar, and best of all 2 Beautiful Stephano Ferarra ovens as the show piece. appearance = 10
I sat down directly in from of the ovens around 1:45 ,and there were but 2 tables occupied. I immediately went over to check/ drool over the ovens, and let the pizza maker know I had an interest and had a wood fired oven  at home. I had my I pad so I showed him a few pics and asked about my other interest  Oil cruet exactly like sitting on the counter. He said he would get the owner and ask Him where he got them. I have been after my cruet connection with no luck.
I ordered a Caesar salad $9 bucks and a Large Margherita pie $16 Bucks .Hey it is bergen County NJ. I only saw 2 pizzas come out and they had just fired oven #2 up for the evening . Commented it takes a long time to heat up.
Salad was an 8 ? with 2 slices of anchovies easily removable, and the wood fired croutons were tasty.
Then the Pizza.The dough looked to be 60% ish and was shaped by traditional stretch around the prep table no slap technique  no toss here, and large about 16"  wooden peels were used to launch and I started the timer and watched after 2 Minutes he was still spinning final bake around 2:55 I inquired on the temp and was told  about 750 Owner later told me they run at 715 degrees.
Out it came and to no suprise was a NY style pizza from stephano oven!  ;)
I enjoyed it and it reminded me of more elite style / pizza town. Chewy, crispy (Bromate) and  nice flavor from the wood.
Out Came the owner Frank, we  discussed the Cruet with to which he also commented I could get them at RD, and I replied  I don't want some stainless cheapo I wanted that! and 6 of them for my friends on PM.Com! at this point he knew I was serious and said he would see what he could do.
Frank is a great guy!! Once I opened the I pad and showed him my oven and a few pizza pics we hit it off. Its so cool to talk 1 on 1 with the owner. We talked in length about how he got the ovens in, all kind of ingerdient talk and the style of pizza he is shooting for, which is Not Neapolitan, although he trained with Roberto. (took that course at Amano) He had worked for Amano and Pizza Town so he has some nice variety in his background and has worked in the business. He  Spent a good 20 min with me and then invited me to come down any time and play! how cool is that! play with a Stephano oven and a really cool diving arm mixer! which he took me in the back to show me (no pic sorry) only does 1/2 bag but a really nice imported mixer!! Its just nice to see he understands the passion some people have and be willing to spend some time talking about it. probably sick of wheres the wood go?? :-D
Anyway, I really enjoyed my lunch and my time there, and will definitely return. soon!
Is this a waste of a great oven? I think not. Frank knows what he wants to make, uses good ingredients ( he also makes his own mozz. daily!) and the final product is top shelf!  The special tonight was going to be the Clam pizza like a Sally New Haven style.  They also have a full menu that looked great as well, for those crazies who dont eat pizza:)  I hope he makes it and I wish him well. Heres the web site and a few pics
www.vestapizzeria.com
John
after thought Bill they do Mention the words Pizzaioli and artisan in the about part of the website?
they also have a cool take out window! in the back that opens to the parking lot.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 08:59:53 PM by JConk007 »
I Love to Flirt with Fire! www.flirtingwithfirepizza.com

Online widespreadpizza

• my beer store opening in june 2011
Re: Vesta East Wood Fired Pizza and Bar
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2011, 08:40:59 PM »
Jconk,  nice write up.  The pizza looks great.  This place sounds a lot like one I have heard about recently...  -marc

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 02:57:00 PM »
heres a video with some footage of the mixer in action.  Anyone else tried this pizza yet?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKoh4Z43lgI" target="_blank" class="aeva_link bbc_link new_win">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKoh4Z43lgI</a>

Offline Jet_deck

• Supporting Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 03:18:44 PM »
Scott, did the music come out of your shop?
Her mind is Tiffany-twisted, she got the Mercedes bends

Offline scott r

• Supporting Member
  • I Love Pizzafreaks!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2011, 03:54:00 PM »
no, im not sure where the music came from, but it definitely doesn't sound italian!   

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2011, 10:15:31 PM »
Scott,
 I was just about to post a follow up on this great spot along with that link! I was there yesterday again and Frank informed me the video was up. Please check the  Vesta website also, no mixer shots in the gallery  but you can see what a cool and comfortable spot he has created www.vestapizzeria.com  I posted a video of the mixer when I used it a while back  did you catch that? I will be there again tomorrow using the diving arm  again to prep for Saturday gig I have. 40 pies.
As far as the follow up. -- I was pizza'd out on Tuesday after a weekend of pies and more pies, it was 95 degrees outside and humid so I opted for a salad  :P I have to say it was great!! Fresh fruit , melons, grapes..,Candied Walnuts, summer greens, goat cheese and a few  Philo goat cheese pillow creations finished off the presentation. Loved the dressing as well. Beyond the obvious Pizza they offer everything from a cowboy steak to lamb shank, risotto you get the idea. Great stuff. The pizza is still as great as ever with the homemade Mozz. fresh ingredients and killer sauce. May be even better now a few months in. I cant say enough good things about the Place and the owner Frank. I highly recommend a visit if you are in Jersey or I think its like 15 min max from the Lincoln tunnel as well. Come on over!
John

Online scott123

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2012, 06:35:40 PM »

Offline communist

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 07:58:13 PM »
After jumping the curb leaving Pizza Town to get on the highway we decided to head to Vesta in East Rutherford.  Zooming past the Meadowlands, we had hoped to find clues on Jimmy Hoffa, but Bruce Tomo told me nobody knew nothing and to keep my nose clean.  We called Vesta, and found out we had gone too far.  We turned around, and quickly located the restaurant.  Swanky joint.  Two smiling hostesses welcomed us - just like long lost cousins!  I was a bit self conscious about my baggy sweat pants and paint-specked sweat shirt - would they toss me and my family?  or perhaps the dimmed illumination would save me.  We were brought to our seats and along the way gawked at the two beautiful tiled Stefano Ferrara ovens!  And yes, my i-phone with camera goes dead on me.  After sitting for a moment we jumped back up to stare on the ovens in action.  A lot of pies moving.  He just tosses that wood in, and in 2 minutes the log is blazing. Must be a lot of takeout, but the place is jumping on a Saturday night.  We ask for Frank.  Our waiter pulls him away from some busy endeavor, and he greets us with a warm smile.  He is interested in us, and starts talking about pizza.  He lets us know we are important, and in the middle of a busy Saturday night, he is not rushing and treats us like special guests.  I am getting the impression from him and his help all his guests are special.  We order a margherita pizza with half mushroom for my fungus loving daughter.  The pie is brought to our table, and is spectacular.  It is thin crust - New York style thin crust - boy these guys live on the edge out here - .07 thickness or less.  The tomato sauce is intense with tomato flavor, not sweet, perhaps some San Marzano variety.  The mozzarella is rich and creamy.  The dough is puffy and flavorful.  Frank said his hydration was around 60% not counting olive oil.  The dough seemed too refined to be a high gluten.  My daughter was speechless while eating her mushroom half.  She seemed to be having an out of body experience, or the shrooms were of the mind altering variety.  When coming back to reality, she exclaimed she had never tasted such a luscious pie.  Thrilled, and filled, then surprised when Frank brings out a freebie for us, a thinly sliced pork, cherry tomato, sauce and buffalo milk cheese creation. He called it a "copa" something like that.  It was phenomenal.  Frank came over to us again, thanked us for visiting, and bid us a farewell. We had to be related the way he treated us.  Maybe I will sign up to Ancestry.com. Scott 123 calls Vesta the best New York pie in the business.  He is right.  TexasCraig1 says if you are within a 100 miles of Vesta, you have to go there.  Well, we live within 125 miles, and we will be back.  It looks as if the pizza menu is only the tip of the iceberg and next time out we will explore the rest of the menu. Tlhe place was spotless, the hospitality warm and generous beyond imagination and the food divine.

Offline Ev

• Supporting Member
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 12:34:19 AM »
Nice review, Mark! Vesta is definitely on my "must visit" list! ;D

Offline norma427

• Lifetime Member
  • Global Moderator
    • learningknowledgetomakepizza
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 07:42:08 AM »
Nice review, Mark! Vesta is definitely on my "must visit" list! ;D

Mark,

Me too!  :)

Norma
Always working and looking for new information!

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 08:56:56 PM »
I  was there in Thursday last week and tried some of the hOme made pasta  with bolongese . they make it all in house and it's delicious I have also had some wonderful salads there as well!  Hard to resist the pizza. But I had a pizza gig friday and baked left overs saturday and  warmed em up again sunday that's enough at least til friday :)

Online TXCraig1

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 09:05:08 PM »
Be sure to try the pepperoni pizza when you go!
I love pigs. They convert vegetables into bacon.

Online scott123

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 06:29:13 PM »
Mark, while I'm really glad that you had such a great time at Vesta and Pizzatown, I'm a little miffed that you were in my area and didn't drop me a line. What's up with that?  ;D  I can't promise that I'd be able to drop everything and meet you, but, next time, shoot me off a PM.

Did you not get the pepperoni?  That alone is worth a 125 mile drive ;)

Offline communist

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 09:13:16 AM »
O.K. Scott, next time I am in your homeland, I will give you a "heads up" - it will be a privilege to dine with "the godfather" of New York pizza.   Mark

Offline JConk007

• Vendor
  • Lovin my Oven!
    • Flirting with Fire
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 10:54:24 PM »
Coal Schmol!! this is how you cook a pizza at 750!!! I did not get to post this the Friday  last week, I stopped in to Vesta and had yet another  Perfect pizza 3 :45 Min Bake. light yet crisp and perfect fermentation!! Nice balance perfect Bottom color, and cooked just right . They have also kicked up the 00 flour and dough tasting really good !
Still the best around ! Thanks Frank
Nice to see somebody knows and cares what their doing!
love the micro blisters almost pizza townish !
John
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:57:12 PM by JConk007 »

Offline thezaman

• Lifetime Member
  • I Love Pizza!
    • lorenzos pizza
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 11:18:30 PM »
 now that is a beautiful pie!!

pizzapan