Author Topic: Today's Bread  (Read 13078 times)

Offline parallei

Re: Today's Bread
« Reply #600 on: October 12, 2014, 12:37:13 PM »
A sourdough loaf that spent 18 hours in the fridge after about 5 hours at room temp.  First time I tried a cold ferment.

Offline JD

• Supporting Member
« Reply #601 on: October 12, 2014, 02:56:06 PM »
JD, no, it was baked uncovered but with LOTS of steam for the first 20 minutes (steam inhibits early browning).  I agree, it seems like you have a very healthy oven! Your batard looks great, nice color!

10-4 Thanks again

A sourdough loaf that spent 18 hours in the fridge after about 5 hours at room temp.  First time I tried a cold ferment.

Looks great, crumb shot?
Josh

Offline parallei

« Reply #602 on: October 12, 2014, 06:26:06 PM »
Looks great, crumb shot?

Nope!  The crumb was the was the way I like it.  That would be:  Irregular, with no huge holes. 

JTG - Did you put a bowl over top of your last batard? I used 550* and after 15 minutes the color was pretty much as you see it, I had to turn it down to 400 for 10 more minutes. I have a fairly powerful lower burner though, maybe that's my problem.

For me, 550F would be too hot.  I preheat to 500F then, after loading, drop to 450F and may drop down to 400F later into the bake.  It depends on the weight of the loaves, but mine usually take 40 to 46 mins.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 06:28:07 PM by parallei »

Offline David Esq.

• Making pizza since 2013
« Reply #603 on: October 15, 2014, 10:02:27 AM »
I've been baking great bread for longer than I've been baking great pizza, but learning how to bake one has certainly helped learning to make the other. So far, I've only been baking the rustic breads -- boules, alla Chad Robertson and Ken Forkish.

My latest bread was nearly a disaster because the dough stuck to the proofing basket and tore up and misshaped pretty badly. However, I persevered and made a pretty good loaf.

The formula (Overnight Country Brown) came from Forkesh's Flour Water Salt Yeast.  I used white whole wheat flour.  If interested in the gory details and lots of additional pictures of the process, I blogged about it over here
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 10:05:34 AM by David Esq. »

Offline David Esq.

« Reply #604 on: October 15, 2014, 02:48:35 PM »
Here is a less wholesome white bread.  This is the only loaf I have ever made using 100% AP flour.  Made great grilled cheese. :) More pictures and details of this loaf here: Fresh Loaf Blog

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #605 on: October 15, 2014, 03:45:17 PM »
That is one great looking loaf!!
Cheers,
Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.
How do you spot a Norgay?
You start with the people with the funny names.

Offline David Esq.

« Reply #606 on: October 15, 2014, 08:06:26 PM »
Thank you. It was very tasty too!

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #607 on: October 15, 2014, 09:50:47 PM »
David, nice blog.  I tried the FWSY book and it didn't work for me, but it certainly works for you.  Have you tried rice flour in the banneton, I have been using that and no sticking yet. 

Offline David Esq.

« Reply #608 on: October 16, 2014, 06:05:08 AM »
Thanks, Barry. Yes, I use rice flour but obviously not enough. My next plan is to flour the outside of the dough until it isn't sticky. When you say the book didn't work for you, what do you mean? Did you have trouble with CY as well as the levain breads?

Offline barryvabeach

« Reply #609 on: October 16, 2014, 07:04:16 AM »
David,  I tried several of his recipes, but none came out just right. It is probably just me, but timing suggestions that he provided ( which sounds like a great idea ) and his reliance on only hand mixing using the pincer method sort of put me off. I much prefer Hamelman and Whole Grains by Peter Reinhart.  This is an adaption from Hamelman's  Pain Au Levian, though I used 100% home ground whole wheat.  I didn't get any rise to speak of in the banneton, but got some pretty good oven spring. 

Offline David Esq.

« Reply #610 on: October 16, 2014, 09:53:57 PM »
Ah. The suggested times are a guideline that really mean nothing unless the dough triples. Temperature of the dough has a lot to do with whether the times work. Your loaf looks nice for 100% home ground. Nicely done.

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #611 on: October 19, 2014, 08:15:44 AM »
Just pulled this batard from the oven. 69% hydration, low protein flour (9.8%), ”double autolyse" method, 24 hr cold fermentation.  Cell phone pics.
Il miglior fabbro

Offline Johnny the Gent

• Bake strong!
« Reply #612 on: October 19, 2014, 10:47:40 AM »
A couple more pics: crumb shot and breakfast (thick slices with lashings of butter, with ham & eggs).
Il miglior fabbro

Offline halfprice

« Reply #613 on: October 19, 2014, 07:47:39 PM »
Baked a lazy man bread today. 75% hydration and best for bread flour.

Finally figured out how to post pics with tapatalk

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #614 on: October 19, 2014, 08:30:59 PM »
JTG - your bread stands alone!  Unless it's awash in the beauty of yolky goodness ;D
Your bread, pasta, meat, and pizza are a feast for the eyes! :drool:

Halfprice, thanks for the post of your great looking loaf!  It is instructive in how much and how deep to 'lame' a loaf.  I appreciate it!  It suits your (from what I've read in your posts) bold but careful approach! Thanks HP!
Prost,
Don
Few great accomplishments are achieved single-handedly, Most have their Norgays.

Offline halfprice

« Reply #615 on: October 19, 2014, 09:16:40 PM »
Don
As far as how I lame a loaf.  I just use scissors to cut the top.  I do it different every time just tobplay around

I was going to buy a lame but I dont bake bread often enough so the scissors work jyst fine.

Jerry

Offline Donjo911

• Supporting Member
« Reply #616 on: October 19, 2014, 10:58:54 PM »
Thanks 1/2 price,  you're right that I am light handed with the cut.   Thanks for the clarity.  I'm going "slice deep" on the next round!  pS: tell us all about the fish you carved ant ate on the boat!!! Gotta see iit!

Offline halfprice

« Reply #617 on: October 20, 2014, 12:32:22 AM »
Don
I live in so cal and love to fish. The tuna in the avatar was caught 2 years ago. It went 226 pounds   I leave in 2 weeks for another 10 day trip.  We leave out of san diego and head south into mexican waters.  I dont know what we'll get into this year. The weather is all screwed and the water is a lot warmer than usual.  Im sure well get smaller tuna, wahoo, and yellowtail.  Im hoping for another 200 pounder. The last pic was the most relaxing night. 5 of us stayed up and fished until 230 am. I hoping for another good trip this year
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 10:37:07 AM by halfprice »

Offline David Esq.

« Reply #618 on: October 20, 2014, 09:34:15 AM »
Here is this week's amazing bread, blogged about here for those interested in the more fulsome discussion of the process including photos.  This is a non-sourdough bread, made with 50% white whole wheat (home-milled) and 50% AP flour. This is a two-day bread.

pizzapan