Author Topic: Sous Vide Pork Shanks  (Read 275 times)

Offline Jackitup

Sous Vide Pork Shanks
« on: April 22, 2015, 04:51:41 PM »
Bought a pair of VERY nice, meaty pork shanks about 2.5 pounds each for a couple bucks a pound (I know, seems not that long ago 19¢/lb) and have then hard vac packed and in the sous vide at 60°c for 24-36 hours. Leaving myself a range as I've not done them this way before. Seasoned up with fresh cracked black pepper, rosemary and thyme and also some defatted, reduced drippings from the homemade hams from Easter, basically a ham demi-glace. Maybe a quick deep fry when done and serve with grits or mashed potatoes

jon
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 05:25:32 PM by Jackitup »
“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline jkb

Re: Sous Vide Pork Shanks
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 04:59:20 PM »
I envy your genes.  I limit my meat intake to about 4oz./week and my cholesterol still goes through the roof without statins.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2015, 05:13:28 PM »
I envy your genes.

No you don't, I'm on the statins too, I'm just more careless and couldn't pass on the nice looking shanks :P

“The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”            -Mark Twain

Offline jeff v

• I'm Valentino not Varasano :)
    • Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2015, 08:42:50 PM »
Nice! I'm interested to see how these came out. In Michael Chiarello's "Bottega" cookbook there is a recipe for crispy pork shanks I made. At the end he rolls them lightly in powdered sugar before frying. Not really sweet but they get very crispy. One of those "if I ever had a restaurant" dishes.
Back to being a civilian pizza maker only.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2015, 09:27:44 PM »
Hmmm, powdered sugar??? Sounds interesting....

Offline TXCraig1

• Craig's Neapolitan Garage
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 09:30:17 PM »
Nice! I'm interested to see how these came out. In Michael Chiarello's "Bottega" cookbook there is a recipe for crispy pork shanks I made. At the end he rolls them lightly in powdered sugar before frying. Not really sweet but they get very crispy. One of those "if I ever had a restaurant" dishes.

That's going on the to-try list.
Pizza is not bread. Craig's Neapolitan Garage

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 10:00:11 PM »

Any other specifics or just cook til tender, dust in powdered sugar and fry? Did they tend to burn or scorch easily, pics?

jon

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 10:24:30 PM »
Any other specifics or just cook til tender, dust in powdered sugar and fry? Did they tend to burn or scorch easily, pics?

jon

No pics-sorry. His recipe is pretty involved. Salt/sugar cure the shanks for 4 hours then confit in olive oil. Cool. Roll in powdered sugar and fry till crispy. served w a red wine vinegar agrodolce (sweet and sour) sauce.

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 10:25:29 PM »
That's going on the to-try list.

It's a pretty awesome dish.

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 11:24:50 PM »
The ham was brined/cured so the demi-glace is pretty strong and concentrated so I refrained from brining the shanks, want to preserve the natural porkiness on the shanks. I think I'll sugar one and flour or cornstarch the other and see how they compare. Do a deep fry or shallow fry in lard of course >:D The liquid will be cooled to take the fat off and adjusted for taste/saltiness and be served as a sauce on the side along with an apple chipotle relish I have in the fridge. It's a bottled relish but very good!

jon

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 11:31:32 PM »
The ham was brined/cured so the demi-glace is pretty strong and concentrated so I refrained from brining the shanks, want to preserve the natural porkiness on the shanks. I think I'll sugar one and flour or cornstarch the other and see how they compare. Do a deep fry or shallow fry in lard of course >:D The liquid will be cooled to take the fat off and adjusted for taste/saltiness and be served as a sauce on the side along with an apple chipotle relish I have in the fridge. It's a bottled relish but very good!

jon

Sounds good!

Offline Jackitup

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2015, 09:57:11 PM »
OH MY, OH MY,  OH MY............fried in a mix of powdered sugar, cornstarch and 00 flour, after 42 hours of sous vide at 60°c, effing awesome, crunchy, melt in the mouth freaking goodness :drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline jeff v

• Pizzeria Valentino
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2015, 10:47:02 PM »
Nice!

pizzapan