Author Topic: How to make "Lazy Man's Bread"  (Read 13691 times)

Offline adm

• I Love Pizza!
Re: How to make "Lazy Man's Bread"
« Reply #325 on: June 27, 2013, 02:43:20 PM »
Here's today's loaf using my lazy mechanical method (or at least part of it....most of the rest is already eaten)....no bacon today.

Offline elementswhiteplains

« Reply #326 on: June 29, 2013, 06:34:53 AM »
Just lovely! Thanks for the share. Gonna try making one for myself.

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #327 on: July 02, 2013, 01:57:29 PM »
Chau, thank's a ton for pointing me over to this thread.  I used your hand mixing technique to make some NY style pizzas dough (61% hydration) and had a great pizza party this last weekend.  There were a few less guests than anticipated so I had some left over dough balls I didn't use.  The dough had gotten left in the cooler over night and was already peaking so I decided the next day to toss caution to the wind and see if I could make some lazy man pizza bread and the results knocked my socks off!

All I did was to flour the dough balls and roughly coax into a bowl or loaf, toss onto the pizza stone at 500f, cover with metal mixing bowl for 20min, remove mixing bowl and reduce heat to 450f, and let bake for another 20min.  After the first success, I got experimental and stuffed one with cheeze, melted cheese on another, and even snuck in some Chocolate for the last one.  My friends house where I had thrown the party and spent the night had the worlds dullest bread knife so some of the pics aren't that great, but I was really blown away at how easy it was and how great the results were.

Thanks Chau!

-Jonathan
Jon

Offline breffni

« Reply #328 on: July 02, 2013, 02:26:09 PM »
Pain au Bacon and Cheese

Pretty much followed adm's recipe above. Bacon made at a local butcher, not heavy smoke, great flavor, and decided to throw in a handful of extra sharp cheddar chunks as well. Flavor was outstanding!

One loaf from first attempt in a banneton, thought I had heavy floured but still stuck like a mf when taking it out. Baked in Romertopf 450F covered for 20 minutes then 20 min uncovered at 425...needed another few minutes more to brown.
Second loaf baked in La Crueset oval dutch oven, 450F the entire time, 20 min covered, 20 min uncovered.

Still flatter than I'd like, wish it was putting smaller loaf in bigger vessel but more likely something I'm doing wrong or accidentally flattening. Also can't yet get a good ear as my slashing surely sucks.

But sure made for a good breakfast toasted with a runny egg!

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #329 on: July 19, 2013, 03:07:28 AM »
So I made my first dedicated Lazy Man Bread this week and was very pleased with the results.  I made 3 loafs the first one was a bit "darker" than the others as I forgot to turn the oven down from 500-->450 after removing the cover, but over all pretty yummy stuff.  One question which I'm not sure has been asked or answered here is how much dough is normal to have stuck on one's hands after the initial mixing right before the 30min rest?  I went at it with both hands the last time and ended up with two nicely coated palms that just wouldn't come clean and I ended up just washing off in the sink.  My lesson learned, with the batch I just made (40min ago) I used only one hand.

Pics 1-3 of the first over baked bowl
Pics 4-7 of the 2nd or 3rd one, they both came out very similarly and sang beautifully
Pic 8 hand after 2-3min of single hand mixing.  Is this normal amount of unstickable dough?

EDIT: Pardon the very dull knife cuts again. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 03:09:18 AM by PapaJon »
Jon

Offline dhorst

« Reply #330 on: July 19, 2013, 08:17:11 AM »
Lovely, and I do like the dark crust, myself.

As far as the dough sticking to your hands, just wet them with cold water.  It will keep the dough from sticking and you don't have to worry about oil stains on your clothes!  Also cold water is better than warm when trying to clean your mixing bowl.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #331 on: July 19, 2013, 08:27:58 AM »
Wow Jon, those loaves really came out great! I love the deep color of the crust contrasted against that milky white crumb. Very nice. Looks like you got great gluten development.  I think I can see some shininess in the holes which is a sign of really good development. 

On the sticky hands, I agree with Diana. Just wet your hands with cold water, and don't be afraid to wet them again if the dough starts to stick. Shake them off so you don't add too much extra liquid to the dough, but the small amount of water on your hands isn't going to make any difference anyway. 

Good eating to you on those great loaves!  LMB is the BEST! 

Regards,

TinRoof

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #332 on: July 19, 2013, 01:59:01 PM »
Diana, great tip thanks!  I used it when I did my mini folds this morning and it worked like a charm.  TinRoof, thanks for the complements as well.  Funny thing is, I only had two slices out of the 3 loafs I baked.  A mix of trying to watch my carb intake combined with sharing the greatness which is Lazy Man's Bread with others.   Of course I don't tell them I was being lazy! :P

This method of dough preparation without the large expensive, space consuming, maintenance absorbing electronic gadgets  truly produces great dough and on par with anything one might try to get out of said gadgets.

Thanks again Chau!

Pic1  Out of the fridge this morning
Pic2  7 folds later with clean hands!
Jon

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #333 on: July 20, 2013, 02:09:17 PM »
PapaJon, whatever you are doing, please don't change a thing.  Your breads look awesome!  Even better than my loaf!  ;D

What flour and yeast are you using?  And do you know what the hydration of the dough you are starting out with?

Chau

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #334 on: July 20, 2013, 10:12:04 PM »
Thanks Chau, I'm using General Mills Supreme flour (http://www.generalmillsfoodservice.com/~/media/Files/Industry%20Resources/Restaurant/pdf_exploring-products/Flour%20Portfolio%20Litho.pdf) which is 13.6% protein.   I'm using your original recipe at 80% hydration.  The batches I've made make three dough balls at slightly over 500g each.  (Making the 4x400g dough ball on my recipe paper pictured below but only splitting it into 3 dough balls after bulk ferment.  This comes out to slightly more than 500g per loaf)

Baked three more today and couldn't be happier with how they are turning out.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 10:41:08 PM by PapaJon »
Jon

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #335 on: July 20, 2013, 10:26:41 PM »
Your loaves are just turning out awesome!  Very very nice.  Very well balanced IMO.  Enjoy the bread it doesn't get any better than that.  If you have a starter you can try it with 20% starter for improve flavor.  But reduce your hydration to 78% if you decide to do that.

Are you dividing the dough (into 1/3's) after it comes out of the fridge before baking or are you refrigerating each loaf separately in separate containers?

Also when are you preshaping and shaping the dough?  As soon as it comes out of the fridge during the last 2-3hrs before bake time?

PJ, can you talk about the texture of that bread?  Is it dense, heavy, and chewy since it is made from high gluten flour?  Or is it the opposite? 

Chau
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 10:14:38 AM by Jackie Tran »

Offline breffni

« Reply #336 on: July 22, 2013, 04:21:01 PM »
Jon - the breads look outrageous, and very jealous of your slashing technique

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #337 on: July 23, 2013, 06:33:43 AM »
Jon - the breads look outrageous, and very jealous of your slashing technique
Thanks, but really not much technique involved. I think it's just a matter of  adjusting the depth of your cut to what you like in the final product. Probably easier to cut too shallow than cut too deep though.  With the Boule shape bread just do a single cut or a plus shaped cut and apparently they come out looking nice (at least from my very minimal experience). 

Btw, this bread makes for some killer French toast.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 06:37:17 AM by PapaJon »
Jon

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #338 on: July 23, 2013, 10:32:35 AM »
we had some BLTs on my lazy bread last night.  and since there was bacon fat, I pitched in a few green tomatoes! 

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #339 on: July 29, 2013, 07:53:26 PM »
more lazy bread this weekend.  i'm having problems with the dough sticking to the basket.  I've been using pizza flour.  what do you guys use? 
bill

Offline dhorst

« Reply #340 on: July 29, 2013, 11:57:53 PM »
more lazy bread this weekend.  i'm having problems with the dough sticking to the basket.  I've been using pizza flour.  what do you guys use? 
bill
I like to use rice flour.  I also have a cloth liner, but I haven't had to use it yet. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #341 on: July 30, 2013, 12:25:58 AM »
For me, wetter doughs made with lower protein flours without a sufficient amount of gluten development can cause sticking.   But hell Bill, your bread looks stinking awesome.  Can't see any faults from here.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #342 on: July 30, 2013, 09:53:58 AM »
i'll try that Dianna.  tartine calls for WW and rice flour mix.  I have a liner too but it doesn't seem to matter.  I think you're right Chau.  maybe one more stretch and fold.  it gets a little deflated when it sticks so I think it would be nice if I can beat that.  thanks Chau for the props! 
bill

Offline dhorst

« Reply #343 on: July 30, 2013, 07:11:36 PM »
Okay this was emergency bread. We'll see what the crumb and flavor are like.

Offline breffni

« Reply #344 on: August 12, 2013, 11:37:39 AM »
Best bacon-cheese bread to date. Lots of heavy cursing when stuck more than usual when removed from the proofing basket and feared it was ruined, but ended up with an interesting look, and tasted amazing.

Offline breffni

« Reply #345 on: August 19, 2013, 01:02:54 PM »
Wow. Tried wheelman’s recipe and method for Lazy Man’s Bread (copied below from his “Pizza Night!” thread, hope it’s ok to have done so…), just awesome. Incredible crust, outstanding flavors like previous attempts yet not as dense as what I’d been making, instead a light and airy crumb. I assume maybe as added the salt later rather than at the beginning it didn’t have a negative effect on the yeast so got better rise? 

Also, somehow this dough cured two issued that had been driving me nuts. Dough popped right out of the wicker basket, and finally had no problems or sticking when slashing the dough. Still ain’t perfect, but finally felt like I’m on the right track.

Bill’s recipe makes a lot of bread, I got 2 good sized loaves and 4 baguettes from it: 
pre ferment - 200 g. water, 100g. KAAP, 100g. KAWW, 16g. ischia starter (very active).  stir all that together and let it sit overnight.
dough - 1300g. water, 400g. pre-ferment, mix to froth in bowl of SP-5 mixer, add 200g. KAWW, 1800g. KABF, mix until incorporated, wait 30 min, add 40g fine sea salt, mix to 82f. (about 5 min in my SP5), bench rest, do 1 stretch and fold, rest at RT for 1-1/2 hours, another stretch and fold, another 1-1/2 hours, and then I follow the tartine method, separating the dough into 4 balls, resting then balling and into baskets for 3 hours or so.

Was also interesting how different pots change the color of the crust. The oval loaf was baked in a Le Creuset oval dutch oven, the round one in a Lodge cast iron combo cooker…baked together, 20 min covered at 500F then 450F uncovered for 15 min (had done 20 & 20 previously, but these were ready after 20 & 15). Baguettes were at 450F for 15-20 min with a pan of water underneath.

Thanks Bill!

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #346 on: August 27, 2013, 08:27:54 AM »
I got lazy again last weekend and made a few more loaves.  first two were normal, the second two were stuck in the frige overnight as soon as they went into baskets.  I also baked those about 10 min longer (total 50min). I developed the dough a little more as Chau recommended and they did come out of the baskets better.  still not perfect.  I think if I go back to using 50/50 WW and rice flour to dust the baskets it will be but I was being lazy so I used pizza flour. 
bill

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #347 on: August 27, 2013, 12:46:32 PM »
Look incredible.

Offline breffni

« Reply #348 on: August 27, 2013, 01:57:03 PM »
Look pretty perfect to me...
Have only done in baskets at room temp for a few hours...was either batch easier to handle/remove form the baskets than the other? (although don't see that in the results, all look awesome!)

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #349 on: August 27, 2013, 02:05:19 PM »
The bread looks great!  Not sure how lazy you all are being though with all the baskets and dutch ovens and what have you.   >:D

Jon

pizzapan