Author Topic: How to make "Lazy Man's Bread"  (Read 7924 times)

Offline dhorst

Re: How to make "Lazy Man's Bread"
« Reply #340 on: July 29, 2013, 11:57:53 PM »
more lazy bread this weekend.  i'm having problems with the dough sticking to the basket.  I've been using pizza flour.  what do you guys use? 
bill
I like to use rice flour.  I also have a cloth liner, but I haven't had to use it yet. 

Offline Jackie Tran

« Reply #341 on: July 30, 2013, 12:25:58 AM »
For me, wetter doughs made with lower protein flours without a sufficient amount of gluten development can cause sticking.   But hell Bill, your bread looks stinking awesome.  Can't see any faults from here.

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #342 on: July 30, 2013, 09:53:58 AM »
i'll try that Dianna.  tartine calls for WW and rice flour mix.  I have a liner too but it doesn't seem to matter.  I think you're right Chau.  maybe one more stretch and fold.  it gets a little deflated when it sticks so I think it would be nice if I can beat that.  thanks Chau for the props! 
bill

Offline dhorst

« Reply #343 on: July 30, 2013, 07:11:36 PM »
Okay this was emergency bread. We'll see what the crumb and flavor are like.

Offline breffni

« Reply #344 on: August 12, 2013, 11:37:39 AM »
Best bacon-cheese bread to date. Lots of heavy cursing when stuck more than usual when removed from the proofing basket and feared it was ruined, but ended up with an interesting look, and tasted amazing.

Offline breffni

« Reply #345 on: August 19, 2013, 01:02:54 PM »
Wow. Tried wheelman’s recipe and method for Lazy Man’s Bread (copied below from his “Pizza Night!” thread, hope it’s ok to have done so…), just awesome. Incredible crust, outstanding flavors like previous attempts yet not as dense as what I’d been making, instead a light and airy crumb. I assume maybe as added the salt later rather than at the beginning it didn’t have a negative effect on the yeast so got better rise? 

Also, somehow this dough cured two issued that had been driving me nuts. Dough popped right out of the wicker basket, and finally had no problems or sticking when slashing the dough. Still ain’t perfect, but finally felt like I’m on the right track.

Bill’s recipe makes a lot of bread, I got 2 good sized loaves and 4 baguettes from it: 
pre ferment - 200 g. water, 100g. KAAP, 100g. KAWW, 16g. ischia starter (very active).  stir all that together and let it sit overnight.
dough - 1300g. water, 400g. pre-ferment, mix to froth in bowl of SP-5 mixer, add 200g. KAWW, 1800g. KABF, mix until incorporated, wait 30 min, add 40g fine sea salt, mix to 82f. (about 5 min in my SP5), bench rest, do 1 stretch and fold, rest at RT for 1-1/2 hours, another stretch and fold, another 1-1/2 hours, and then I follow the tartine method, separating the dough into 4 balls, resting then balling and into baskets for 3 hours or so.

Was also interesting how different pots change the color of the crust. The oval loaf was baked in a Le Creuset oval dutch oven, the round one in a Lodge cast iron combo cooker…baked together, 20 min covered at 500F then 450F uncovered for 15 min (had done 20 & 20 previously, but these were ready after 20 & 15). Baguettes were at 450F for 15-20 min with a pan of water underneath.

Thanks Bill!

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #346 on: August 27, 2013, 08:27:54 AM »
I got lazy again last weekend and made a few more loaves.  first two were normal, the second two were stuck in the frige overnight as soon as they went into baskets.  I also baked those about 10 min longer (total 50min). I developed the dough a little more as Chau recommended and they did come out of the baskets better.  still not perfect.  I think if I go back to using 50/50 WW and rice flour to dust the baskets it will be but I was being lazy so I used pizza flour. 
bill

Offline DenaliPete

• Supporting Member
« Reply #347 on: August 27, 2013, 12:46:32 PM »
Look incredible.

Offline breffni

« Reply #348 on: August 27, 2013, 01:57:03 PM »
Look pretty perfect to me...
Have only done in baskets at room temp for a few hours...was either batch easier to handle/remove form the baskets than the other? (although don't see that in the results, all look awesome!)

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #349 on: August 27, 2013, 02:05:19 PM »
The bread looks great!  Not sure how lazy you all are being though with all the baskets and dutch ovens and what have you.   >:D

Jon

Offline wheelman

• Lifetime Member
« Reply #350 on: August 27, 2013, 05:28:06 PM »
thanks!  they were both about the same coming out of the baskets.  one of each stuck a little more causing a misshape issue.  this is way lazy compared to the Tartine method i used to do! 
bill

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
Re: How to make Lazy Man's Bread
« Reply #351 on: December 25, 2013, 11:11:40 AM »
Here's a loaf I made for Christmas dinner tonight.  Merry Christmas to everyone on pizzamaking.com. You all have made my 2013 a much better year than it would have been in your absence. 

(And for all you Tapatalk users, the photo upload function works!)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 11:14:15 AM by tinroofrusted »

Offline breffni

« Reply #352 on: February 03, 2014, 02:10:00 PM »
Been getting great results recently after following Bill/SFNM's method of adding KA Baker's Dried Milk, in both regular and bacon-cheese breads.

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #353 on: February 03, 2014, 02:37:10 PM »
Wow, those look yum! 

A side question regarding the "filled" breads.  What methods are you using to add bacon, cheese, chocolate, whatever?  Stretch out add in middle, fold over and flip?

Jon

Offline breffni

« Reply #354 on: February 04, 2014, 10:19:39 AM »
Thanks! Feel like finally getting there after lots of trial and error and all the great suggestions and instructions posted by others.

No idea if this is the correct method, but works for me:
After a couple bench rests and stretch & folds after making the dough, I stretch it out, put cold cubed cheese and cooked diced bacon on top, fold a couple times to try and incorporate, then 12-20 hour bulk ferment.
Then cut dough in half, stretch & fold to form and seal loaves, followed by 2-3 hour rise in banneton.

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #355 on: February 04, 2014, 01:13:14 PM »
Interesting that you ferment it with the goodies inside.  However you do it though the results look mouth watering.  When you split your dough ball and then refold before your final rise do you ever have issues with the cheese being too close to the surface and causing some seepage issues? 
Jon

Offline breffni

« Reply #356 on: February 04, 2014, 02:09:11 PM »
sometimes a cube or two pop out so try to push back under, but not a deal breaker if some are showing, end up being a nice flavored crunch.

Not sure why (maybe the fat content?), but the cheese makes a difference. Usually make with Cabot Extra Sharp...big black block from Costco, use 1/3-1/2 of it for a 2 loaf batch. Once tried it with Dubliner cheese which we love on its own, but didn't melt the same in the bread, was more like blobs of goo. Only thing I can assume is the Dubliner cheese, like Kerry Gold butter, has a higher fat content? or maybe as it's mild not 'extra' sharp it's not aged so different characteristics? The extra sharp also gives a nice tang to the bread.

Offline PapaJon

• "That's amore"
« Reply #357 on: February 04, 2014, 02:13:52 PM »
Great.  Thanks for the added details on the cheese.  Will give it a try when I have the chance.
Jon

Offline slybarman

« Reply #358 on: August 06, 2014, 11:33:13 AM »
Subscribed - though kinda late to the party.

Online tinroofrusted

• Supporting Member
  • Experimenting....
« Reply #359 on: August 06, 2014, 11:48:26 AM »
We've all become so lazy that we don't post pictures of our bread anymore!  I still make my bread according to Chau's basic technique that I learned here when he first started this thread.  Next time I bake a loaf of Lazy Man's Bread I am going to post a photo (assuming it doesn't look awful). 

Regards,

pizzapan